PDA

View Full Version : finally finished my fiest showreel

nikfaulkner
04-19-2002, 04:52 PM
hi all,

i've finally finished my first showreel, everything created by me(unless otherwise stated) in lightwave 5.6 and edited together in premiere.

here's a link to my site...

www.nikfaulkner.i12.com

please excuse the site, i'm NOT a web designer, download the video and let me know what you think.

many thanks

nik faulkner - poor outofwork animator-

Jeron
04-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Some very nice stuff in there.

Don't know if your looking for critiques, but here's a few anyways.

Keep it as is, and you have a good reel. The points below are the stuff you might consider changing or cutting to make this reel exceptional.:

The intro is IMO really cool. Cool music, nice feel to it. Very Fight Club'ish

Second clip with the android. Luv it. Nice anim and cool model.

Third clip - hard to see. Could be a nice mood in there but the low quality of the movie kinda spoils it.

Jet flyby..... Nice tracking, but the jets seem a bit on the slow side... Give 'em some speed!

Android. Still cool. Noting to crit there.

Nokia phone. Nice model. Looks good.

Bowling pins. Hm... could look good but the animation need some speed. The ball should smash into the rest of the pins sending them scattering.

Another interior shot. Compression ruins it for me.

Space clip. Looks good. I'd loose the spin before the drop, tho.

Shark anim looks a bit jerky.

Manga girl. Hm..... I'd ditch this clip faster than a 2$ whore. She does nothing for me. At all. Looks like early work.

Logo stuff. Nice.

Morph targets. Oooooh..... Exceptional head. Luv the model. But you should consider fixing her teeth. Looks very CG. Which is a shame for such a nice almost photoreal head. Morph targets look pretty good too.

Desert fly-through. Nice, but nothing exceptional

Skeletons. Totally devoid of action. It looks like slow-motion.... Speed it up and add some motion blur, and maybe have one block the other and let some sparks fly.

"Darkness"? logo... Nice, nice. I like it.

Tunnel fly-through. There's the speed i'm looking for. Ya!

Manga 3D chick and some cylinders on a table??? Whatever it is, I like it. ;)

Another interior shot. Same problem as the previous ones.

Tough guy walking. YA!! Luv the animation, luv the model. He oozes with "Don't f**k with me"

Tunnel explosion. NEEDS SPEED! Need i say more??

Guinniess (sp). Funny.

UFO Comp shot. Looks good. Nothing to crit.

Nimbus. Nothing to crit.

Earth. Well it's a bit cheezy. But hell - it cheezy done well.

Theres a few clips that you should consider cutting alltogehter as they aren't even close in quality to the majority of the stuff on your reel.

Don't put everything you've ever done on the reel. Be tough in your decisions.

Looking at it I found your compositing skills to be the strongest point, together with most of the modelling on the reel. Some of your animation was real nice, but some not. Maybe you should try to focus your choice of material on what kind of job your looking for.

Jeron

epatnor
04-19-2002, 06:56 PM
I would like to second almost everything that Jeron said. Regarding his points to the weaker parts, both the Manga girls, IMHO get rid of them. Sad, because 2D animation had been a great ingrediense. I hope you won't hate me for saying: re-edit the reel and make it snappier, but above all remember the golden rule:

Always, ONLY include your best (=most recent?) work! :lightbulb

I know this will shorten your demo, but I think that's better than making the employer hesitate!

You made the right choice asking for advice here. I hope many more will respond and tell you what they think! This is of course only my own opinions. But if I had it my way... Make the "Tough guy walking" fight both skeletons! He was awesome - outstanding animation there! :thumbsup:

Other than that: nice concept atmosphere and editing effects. You're definetly on the right track!

Overall - good good work! :bounce:

nikfaulkner
04-19-2002, 07:34 PM
many thanks for the constructive coments guys.

after spending so much time looking at this stuff it's kinda hard to be objective.

it's funny what you said about the "earlier work". the whole showreel was modeled,textured,animated and edited in the last 2.5 months.

i haven't done any freelance work for the last 2 years(so the that work is very out of date and looks a bit dated) so i kinda had to let my creative imagination run wild and set myself little projects and deadlines to create a portfollio.i'm also using software that i haven't updated for 2 years, so it's missing a lot of the new features(global illumination,hdri etc) so it was a bit more of a challenge to try to fake these new technologies in my older software.

the manga girl was my first use of cel shading and it seems people either love it or hate it.

yes epatnor, the intro was inspired by fight club.

like i said before many thanks for your time

nik

nikfaulkner
04-19-2002, 07:36 PM
sorry Jeron,

you made the fight club comment

nik

Jeron
04-19-2002, 08:05 PM
missed your previous post. nm ;)

epatnor
04-24-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey Nik,

you think you're gonna take the time to reassemble the reel? I really liked it, otherwise I would'nt have commented it!

Keep us posted if you do. Please consider our "recommendations", but overall I think you really have a strong concept going!

CUL8R,
Patrik

PS. Just gonna try one of those new smileys... :airguitar

nikfaulkner
04-24-2002, 08:38 PM
hi epatnor,

i will re-edit the reel when i get a bit of time, cheers for the comments they made me feel so much better about my work.

it's a bit hard to find time at the moment, all my time seems to be spent on trying to find a job. i got 2 weeks before rent is due and time is running out.

i've had some good response though, 2 big game companies, a cg feature and a television production company.

fingers crossed

nik

epatnor
04-24-2002, 08:53 PM
Well how about that! I'll keep my fingers crossed, hopefully things will work out for you before the ogre-like landlady will show up at your doorstep telling you to leave! :

:thumbsup:

:beer:

(Landlady = female person in charge of the apartments?)

smedly
04-24-2002, 09:37 PM
I really like the reel. Some good work, keep it up.
And good luck with all your job opportunities.

You might see this as picking but I think it's kind of important.
IMO, you should leave you're name and contact information as
the last thing that you see once you finish watching. It's really
not up there for very long and you could just lose the "thank you".

nikfaulkner
04-24-2002, 09:40 PM
thanks smedly,

i see what you mean about the "thankyou" like i said before i'll have to change it when i get time.

do you guys think the compression is acceptable? i really wanted to keep it under 10mb.

thanks

nik

Skyraider3D
04-25-2002, 06:32 AM
Nice reel. Some very nice stuff in there. But it also shows some less impressive stuff. The facial animation of the woman for example makes one believe you didn't manage to properly animated it, besides slowly opening the mouth. Also the movement of the formation F-16s seems very slow and unnatural. Just a few random comments :) Otherwise nice work!

Henrik Hörlin
04-25-2002, 04:53 PM
First off: All of the clips is better than what I culd have produced in 2.5 months when it comes to 3D!
Second: Since the reel is already finished I can only give you MY opinion when you do your next one. (This I have experience with, (video edeting that is))
Everyone is trying to be cool and hip when they apply with a demoreel and of course this is good. No one wants a dullard! I was on a seminar held by a woman from... uhhh, can´t remember exactly but it was from ILM or PIXAR or some BIG corp. She said that there are two thing they DON´T want to see in a demo and that is spaceships and techno music. Because that is what they see all day. She also said that you have LESS than one minute to IMPRESS them, it culd be longer if it´s all good stuff.
To tie this to your demo: I like the start alot BUT it´s (IMO) to slow. You need to bring out the BEST first! That would be either the photoreal head or the nexus model. Sugestion: Make them talk to the weiver, introducing you to them. The text you have in the beginning shuld be in the end. Rapping it all upp in nice soft slowing motion.
I´d use diffrent music than the one after the intro. It became more annoying than "hip/cool/speedy" after the "drakness" logo.

You seem to have good overall skills in modeling, texturing and compositing. Are you applying for any special branch? If that is the case put more of that skill in the demo to show that this is what you can do best, (but is also proficient in other areas).

To sum it up: In my opinion, shorten it, change the music and place your best peices first.

(Sci-fi nit pick note) The nexus model is a cloned and enhanced human being, not a robot. ;)

Was it (she?) inspired by the robots in the music video "all is full of love" by... hmm... bad memory... björk? (was it björk?)
Hope this gives you a happier existence.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ZodiaK
04-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Henrik Hörlin

Was it (she?) inspired by the robots in the music video "all is full of love" by... hmm... bad memory... björk? (was it björk?)
Hope this gives you a happier existence.

it's björk. there's a realvid downloadable at bjork.com of the beautiful video, although squeezing 4 minutes of video into 1 meg isn't gonna give you dvd quality...:D

as for the demoreel, i liked the nexus part the most - i'm a complete newbie what comes to 3d/compositing, so my view on it is highly unprofessional, but it's the plague of the (amateur) 3D industry that 99% of what people do is about spaceships, aliens or women in jumpsuits, so i'm not too surprised to learn that the likes of Pixar & ILM are expecting to see something else. can't say that anything in the reel was terribly original in concept (but you probably weren't trying to go for that), but to my eyes it was executed well. i'm just figuring that instead of trying to outperform everyone else by single-handedly trying to shadow starwars episode 2's spacebattles with your own, i would think an original concept (with a good execution) would have better chances of standing out from the mass.

probably a point said a million times, though. good work anyway, and as other people have mentioned, you should probably focus on your stronger points and lose the weakest. and the edit just could be tighter and maybe a bit shorter. just my lousy 0.02c.

nikfaulkner
05-18-2002, 10:34 AM
just a follow up to this post.

i just got my first fulltime 3d related job.

i'll be modelling for ps2/xbox games, with a bit of video editing of cut scenes.

i'm a happy bunny

nik

smedly
05-18-2002, 05:40 PM
Congratulation nikfaulkner on your full-time employment!!

If you don't mind me asking, what company are you working for? And what games are you working on? Obviously they liked you're reel, what did they have to say about it?

I too just recently found full time employment doing on-air promotional graphics for a premium movie channel known as "Movie Central". Seems like they have (or had) a lot of money to throw around so I get to work on sweet G4's with a dual 800MHz proc, 80G HD, 1.5G of ram, and an Echo Fire system (allows you to view you're work on an NTSC monitor through After Effects).

Very cool stuff. It's great to see a couple of young CG Artists make it in this industry.

nikfaulkner
05-18-2002, 05:48 PM
hi smedly,

the company are called climax, they are europe's biggest independent ps2/xbox developer.

as far as titles go, not sure yet. i start on monday. the site i'm gonna be at, deal with car/motorbike racing games.

i checked out your site, i like it a lot.

yeah, its cool to get a decent job, no more trying to find freelance work.

nik

oh, i forgot to mention my showreel was done in lightwave 5.6

mr.bean
05-18-2002, 08:17 PM
nice work. it would help if you didn't copy other peoples website designs almost identically.

i'd paste the link if i remembered where it is, but i had the exact same design submitted as an original from vfs when applying for a job here ... which in it self was a rip from a great european designer.

stephen2002
05-19-2002, 01:43 PM
humm...intresting.

My comments (although you seem to not need them :) )

1. the begenning is a bit slow
2. drop the cell shaded thing. It looks very bad in my opinion.
3. The desert flyby thing looks like it came out of the pod raceing thing. Except there is not enough "stuff" scattered around. Rocks, sand, hills, etc. Your desert is completely flat with a few mounds that all look about the same.
4. Come on...everybody has made an animation of an explodeing Earth.
5. Some of the credit screens are too slow, some of them are WAY to fast. I could not read all of the info on a few of the slides.

Congrats on the job.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.