PDA

View Full Version : Duplicating a rig

John Keates
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
What is the best way to duplicate a rigged model?

I thought it should be possible to export selected as a .scn file and then imported but I can't find an option to export selected. I could delete all but selected and export what is left but that seems silly.

There must be a simple way to do this...

John Keates
04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I thought I had solved the problem by using the clone tool but it just replicated the geometry...

John Keates
04-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Don't worry, I sorted it out. I used "select model" before duplicating. Worked like a charm.

I am starting to quite like XSI.

tc
04-06-2008, 07:00 AM
cool
just to remember you that XSI selection is a bit different from other softwares.
for example if you put everything inside a model ( edit>model>new model ), you just need to select your model using middle click it will be a branch selection. Then a ctrl+d to duplicate it and you are done.

Clone will make a copy (it puts a copy operator and keep updating from the original mesh).

it worth take a look on these videos
http://community.softimage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

and these http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutorials/tutorials.html

About export .scn files... XSI don't work this way.
Put things under a model, always organize your stuff with that and you'll be happy... :)
A scene (.scn) hold objects inside of it, models are "mini-scenes" and you can export models and reimport it as a referenced model, or a normal model etc...
Models are .emdl files (which by itself is like a scene...), so a model can have another model inside it, and as a scene is sort of a model it can have many models too.
So a model is represented by a null with pos/rot/scl and it objects inside. Models also have their own matlib, mixer, groups...

well, I hope you can get it!

John Keates
04-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the help!! That sounds like a good way of organising things.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2008, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.