PDA

View Full Version : I expect to be torn apart for this attempt at steam......

dy031101
04-05-2008, 04:25 PM
The story sounds simple- one day I decided to try to create steam.

I grabbed some models I had at hand and tried to put together a simple carrier jet launch theme.

The result...... the first three seconds look like steam, the next six seconds a bit less so, and the following seconds doesn't look like steam at all. In some of the attempts the particles were stretched vertically.

I tried the stock particle system (first pArray and later Super Spray) and material editor, but it seemed to always need at least three weeks to render no matter how I tried to tweak it. Then I tried Sitni Sati Afterburn and got what I have right now......

I obviously need a way to simulate a dense screen of steam (the steam is to get stronger after the first three seconds)...... as well as to make the steam flow and dissipate naturally.

Video is at #2 of this thread.

Any help is very much appreciated......

Oh and, I neglected to mention that I use 3DS Max......

dy031101
04-06-2008, 03:55 AM
This is the whole thing.

Again, feel free to pick it apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uB0hrMiipo

And again, any help on making a better steam effect would be greatly appreciated.

Zmurowski
04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Couple of things - what exactly is the steam there for? I always thought it's the steam catapult that generates the steam jets around the front wheel - while you have a lot of steam coming from nowhere at the begining, I could see no steam coming from the catapult when the jet started.
I think the materials and lighting should be worked on, before you go for the steam effect.

dy031101
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Couple of things - what exactly is the steam there for? I always thought it's the steam catapult that generates the steam jets around the front wheel - while you have a lot of steam coming from nowhere at the begining, I could see no steam coming from the catapult when the jet started.
I think the materials and lighting should be worked on, before you go for the steam effect.

The steam would come out of the entire length of the catapult slot (along which the catapult shuttle travels).

And IIRC, the steam would be especially thick when the catapult is charging.

(Correct me if I misinterpreted the reference I used.)

KyleG
04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
The reference I've been looking at seems like the steam is move thick after the launch, there is some there before, but it is much more subtle that what you have

http://youtube.com/watch?v=drMj7HP-IDI&feature=related

dy031101
04-06-2008, 03:20 PM
What I need is precisely to do the thick steam right......

Currently using Afterburn Octane Shader...... would I be doomed to continue my struggle with the settings? :scream:

lewistaylor
04-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Hmmm.

Three weeks to render? Well here's a suggestion.Forget AfterBurn for the moment as your
particles birth, life, and death need work. I would be trying to nail this effect in an empty
scene until you have it just right, saves on render and review time:)

Use particle flow, not the stock particles in Max. Google "Pete Draper" and you will come to a
wealth of info on particle flow and shader creation. This will sort you out for sure.

Lewis

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2008, 06:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.