PDA

View Full Version : help. with some mel stuff.

Maya Ayanami
05-10-2003, 11:20 PM
I recently did this little thing that allows me to use a slider to switch between a low res poly model to a high res sub-d model. and I want to know how to make a mel script that allows me to select a surface and use the script and it does all the steps for me.

thanks for all that help and death to all that dont.
Im not really that mean. Really:twisted:
im telling the truth you know.

mark_wilkins
05-11-2003, 08:35 AM
you've asked a big question.

www.melscripting.com

that's my answer. (at the risk of being accused of plugging my book!!) :D

or, more to the point: what exactly do you want to know? You must be doing some MEL to create the slider, so what's the question?

-- Mark

wgreenlee1
05-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Mark-
How relative is this book going to be for 5.0 MEL?
Are you going to be coming out with a updated book?

Looks like a good read.

mark_wilkins
05-11-2003, 08:05 PM
There may be an updated book at some point, but I wouldn't presume to guess when. We're NOT updating the book for each new release of Maya, because the material covered in the book is not changing with new releases. MEL has been very stable since 2.0.

A few menu items have changed from 4 -> 4.5 -> 5, but virtually nothing in MEL has changed (with the exception of a few new commands, most of which are pretty specialized), and to get much out of the book you already have to know Maya well enough that the few changed menu items won't be a problem.

I'm sure if we ever get to the point where the content just feels out of date we'll go back and do a second edition, as the book is probably doing well enough to warrant it. However, this will not be soon, and it hasn't been discussed.

-- Mark

wgreenlee1
05-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Ok...
Well I just showed how much I dont know about MEL..LOL!
I guess any thing changed would be easy to find n the Maya manual.

Ok thanks I will look for it at B&N nexttime.:thumbsup:

Maya Ayanami
05-11-2003, 11:47 PM
There was no mel scripting involved. well there was of course but I didnt do any. I just used the conection editor and the set driven key function to set this up. if you want I can put up a really simple scene(just a box) so you can see what i mean.

mark_wilkins
05-12-2003, 10:29 AM
nope, got it, I know what you mean. :D

Maybe later I'll come back and post a complete walk-through of how to do that in MEL. Right now I'm too tired, and I'm not sure I'll be able to spare the time soon enough to be useful to you. However, the threat of death has me quaking, so maybe I'd better. :D

-- Mark

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.