PDA

View Full Version : modeling a bottle

wannabeArtist
04-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Hello,

I started working on a bottle model. What would be the "proper" way to model the thickness for the bottle? I tried duplicating it and sclaling the duplicate and then merging to model the thickess, but at least so far it doesn't seem to work - any other ideas?
It's supposed to be a glass bottle (aftershave), so it would need to have a surface on the inside of the bottle also (since it's transparent).

Thanks!

Bullit
04-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I was to saying this http://kim-aldis.co.uk/drupal-6.1/node/17 from Kim Aldis website but i have found it very unintuitive . I only got some success inverting the polygons.

comanche
04-05-2008, 09:01 AM
There's the "Solidify" script right in the Netview (model section). Select the unsmoothed object and run the script.

Andreas

curbsidebandit
04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, if I was doing a bottle my first thought would be to use curves to define the shape. I would then use the extrusion commands under model/create/polymesh. The other way is to go straight to using a primitive to create the outside shape of the bottle, duplicate that shape and make it smaller for the inside. You can then invert the polygons (under modify/poly. Mesh) of that smaller shape and merge the two pieces to make one object.

wannabeArtist
04-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

The solidify script - comanche's good tip - worked great, so I used it for this model. I did try before making a copy, scaling it down and fitting it inside the bottle, but I didn't get merge working very well on this, I will try to rember to try it out later on some other model.

Now, I'm starting with the cap of the bottle and tips on how to make the "grip" part on the gap would be nice :)
I could just take a cylinder and extrude every other edge slightly outward, but that would mean a lot of subdivisions on that cylinder. Any better techniques for that?

mocaw
04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Depending on how close you need to get to it it could just be a bump, normal, or displacement map. Do you plan on duplicating this bottle a lot?

I'm not sure that using geometry would produce a lot of polygons if you don't use subpatching etc. on it. If you're doing a lot of close in I'd go with geometry and then maybe think of using the mia edge bevel node...

wannabeArtist
04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Well, it's just for practice (and demo model, if it turns out cool looking), but bump map certainly might look good and save the extrusions. Must try it, thanks!

wannabeArtist
04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Hello,

What would be good practice when a circular extrusion is needed on a mesh, that consists of quads?
See the screenshot, it's a cap for the bottle and there is a strap on top. Next I need to make a circular piece on top of the strap.
I already tried moving the points around - any better ways?

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.