PDA

View Full Version : normal mapping issues

underchild
04-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I am having a heck of time creating functionable maps for recreating high res on a low res object. I am using xsi 5.01 on vista which I am aware has quite a few issues. For example, when I try to compute a distance for distance to camera on my ultimapper property an error occurs stating cannot reslve path c: depthmap.ct. Some have said this has to do with some secirity in vista that doesnt let anything write to the c: drive. Does this make the ultimapper in vista useless?

Also, even when I try just using the render map prop alone from my xp machines I have no luck. I can get simple sufaces to work, but when working with my character model I am still having issues generating a functional map. I have read the xsi docs, as well as numerous tutorials, and I beleive that I have completed the right steps; my low res has no displacement, it has a unique uv set, a color at vertices prop, I also know that the source is supposed to encompass the low res(but not always necessary?). Still the maps are not fully smooth images. Some parts of the map seem right in color, but other areas have large chunks of jagged ,pixelated coloration.

Any help, hints, or points in the right direction would be deeply appreciated. I have been loosing sleep on this one,

thanks

fluxist8070
04-07-2008, 04:47 AM
I have been able to get nice detail from normal maps in xsi 6.5. I recently installed vista basic on my machine and it caused ultimapper to misfire, so i went back to xp pro.

I use normal maps generated from zBrush or ultimapper. Once I have exported the normal map from zbrush. I still add an ultimapper operator to the stack, by going to property>ultimapper. I don't generate any maps, I just hit create preview for mental ray, I then plug everything into the preview material and it works. This might not be the "correct" way, but it works. :D Even if I want a different material type, I just plug a different material into the main node in the render tree.

I hope that helps!

Are you using

underchild
04-15-2008, 03:34 AM
thanks for the reply flux! I have been messing with this for too long now.....
But I do have some good news. After installing xsi 6 on my machine I am getting better results with the ultimapper, and the error message is gone. My uv's were not ideal which caused artifact issues, also my low res geometry needed some tweaking of some hard edges. I also made sure my low res almost completley encompassed my high. Now my character is looking much better ,but still tweaking things.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 03:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.