PDA

View Full Version : Net Render Error - Upload in Progress

entourage714
04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hello,

We are using a Mac to edit files on our c4d farm. We shared the folder administrator out on our c4d server. when the mac user edits a file in there and saves it back, we try to start the render, we get an error "error - upload in progress"

When we use a pc to save the files, we do not get any errors.

The folder permission is set to everyone with full access.

thanks,
johnny

govinda
04-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Does it stop you from rendering?

entourage714
04-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Yea, when we click the start in the net render web gui it prompts an error. we have to recreate it and edit it on a pc, then we can click start and it work.

JoelOtron
04-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Same question as govinda

Are your texture files or project files especially large? If so--sometimes it takes a bit of time to transfer those large files to each client overt he network before it is ready to start rendering.

entourage714
04-05-2008, 04:08 AM
not big at all. we tested a small file. something about the mac transfering files to that share folder. when a pc saves a file on the share folder it works fine. when the mac saves it on that share folder it errors out. we've tried all different size files.

JoelOtron
04-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh--I've forgetten to mention...

HERES YOUR PROBLEM--

When you save a file from mac to pc it creates a duplicate dummy file with an underscore, ie: "_.project.c4d" that really hs no data in it. I think it holds the icon display info and is invisble on a mac or is generated on a pc kind of like the invisible DS Store files that macs generate. THIS FILE NEEDS TO BE DELETED in order to run the file from NET. I need to go through this same procedure everytime--deleting the file b4 starting the render. This file shows up if you open the file from a mac and alter the file as well. a PITA--but once you get used to it its not too bad.

dann_stubbs
04-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh--I've forgetten to mention...

HERES YOUR PROBLEM--

When you save a file from mac to pc it creates a duplicate dummy file with an underscore, ie: "_.project.c4d" that really hs no data in it. I think it holds the icon display info and is invisble on a mac or is generated on a pc kind of like the invisible DS Store files that macs generate. THIS FILE NEEDS TO BE DELETED in order to run the file from NET. I need to go through this same procedure everytime--deleting the file b4 starting the render. This file shows up if you open the file from a mac and alter the file as well. a PITA--but once you get used to it its not too bad.

yes joel is right - with OSX 10.5 and how it generates a preview icon for everything these are out of control. i've at one time unzipped a plugin for my farm on my OSX 10.5 box and when moved the file to a PC it generated tons of errors as it was trying to load all the . files instead of the actual files. a real pain and annoying. but now i just be sure to unzip files only on the PC before installing so these invisible icon files are not corrected.

i think joel is right as the NET Server may be trying to read the . files instead - they do show in the project listing page on NET Server and you can just usually delete them (one at a time though since that is all NET Server allows) and it should them render ok

dann

JoelOtron
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah--its one of those things I hope that gets fixed somehow. I dont know if its a NET thing or a mac-->windows thing. Maybe script can be run on the PCs to automatically delete these files.

dann_stubbs
04-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah--its one of those things I hope that gets fixed somehow. I dont know if its a NET thing or a mac-->windows thing. Maybe script can be run on the PCs to automatically delete these files. It makes doing remote rendering impossible in my case--as I can access my NET render interface remotely but not all the PC clients.

it's a windows thing really - sgi's made these invisible icon files too - Windows needs to get with it and play nice with the rest of the world. (yeah right)

maybe NET Server could be set to ignore files that start with a . (period) but that would be up to maxon.

not sure what you mean by the remote rendering impossible for you due to this?

dann

govinda
04-05-2008, 07:01 PM
So Dann, I've been sending stuff to you these past two days, and no problems. Is this something you're fixing on unzip?

JoelOtron
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
it's a windows thing really - sgi's made these invisible icon files too - Windows needs to get with it and play nice with the rest of the world. (yeah right)

maybe NET Server could be set to ignore files that start with a . (period) but that would be up to maxon.

not sure what you mean by the remote rendering impossible for you due to this?

dann

You replied faster than I could edit my message. :)
Just a bit of confusion on my part--thought I caught before anyone read it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.