PDA

View Full Version : spine rig

adoptsomenewphilosophy
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
i know this probably is a simple answer, but of all the tutorials i read, i couldn't figure it out perfectly. i'm just trying to get a spine to work. so i make a cube and lengthen it to be a square stick sort of thing (just for practice). then i add the joints, starting at the bottom up to the top. (make about 5). then i make a spine control (nurbs circle). i can't understand set driven key very well. (i want it so that when i rotate the nurbs circle, the whole spine BENDS not just rotates (each joint rotates, the farther joints rotating more, you know?) i really need someone to walk me through this, step by step. any help, please?

modernPrimitive
04-05-2008, 10:34 AM
You can get a bend effect by selecting all the joints in sequence say from top to bottom then using rotate (snapped to the bottom joint for example) and all the joints will rotate in a curved like fashion. I'm not sure how to create a control to do this though. Perhaps creating controls for each joint then parenting to the one below and snapping each one's origin to the bottom joint. Give it a try.

I once rigged a praying mantis and I created controls for each joint of the abdomen. (each joint parented (or with a parent contstraint - cant remember to each controling curve)
Then I created a bend deformer on all the controls and the abdomen could curve in the way you describe.

Good luck. Lemme know if you figure it out.

Keithtron
04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure why you wan't to rotate a circle to control the bending of the spine, that's a sort of awkward control and doesn't make much sense to me. Is there some rationale behind that sort of control object?

I would look into the Spline IK. That's what I usually use for spines. If you need help figuring it out, just let us know.

Oh, and if you want to set up the system that you've described, you can use orient constraints. Figure out which axis you want your joints to rotate on, then set up your control object so that it rotates on that same axis. Then select your control object, then a joint, and do an orient constraint. Repeat this for each of the joints. You can use the shortcut key G to repeat the orient constraint command so that you don't have to go through the menu to execute each one.

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.