PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 character animation reel

Nickray3d
04-04-2008, 01:58 AM
This is basically 2 minutes worth of stuff that i've done in the last year. Characters were completely done by me cept for the blue generi rig and the wolf rig. This is the first reel that i'll be sending out to studios as I'm also graduated from school w/ a bachelors. I hope to filter out some stuff and fill with newer work and also make a modeling reel to go w/ this. Hope you all like and I would love to hear what everyone thinks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkPX6bTMrKY

big_nick_76@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/big_nick_76@hotmail.com) if anyone has any questions about anything

lewistaylor
04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Nicholas, congrats on finishing school.
Here's what I noticed after watching.

Camera Angles:Your camera moves around way too much in your shots.
This is unsettling and draws attention to them, which in turn draws attention
away from the animation.Make your CG camera move more like a real one, just
because you can go anywhere doesn't mean you have to.

Timing: Some of the characters timing on their actions is off.Moves that should be
completed quickly are dragging on, and there is a missing element of explosive energy
that your fighting characters should have.

Weight: Alot of the characters appear to be floating. Needs work in this area.

I would be putting all my time into the study of animation and probably be doing
another reel. 30 seconds of top notch is better than 2 mins of okay.

Trawl youtube and google other demo reels, there are heaps that are the same, how
are you going to stand out?

Hope this helps:)

Lewis

thehive
04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
you have alot of filler animations an what u need to submit is quality work may it be 3 or for animatoins so be it but as long as there kick ass youll do fine the demo feels very rushed an no attention to composition is taken in to account

1. the music is very distracting
2. the animation need a lot of work
3. the lighting need a lot of work
4. timing timing timing
5. try using some of the free rigs online ( highend 3d, 3dfiggin, anmation lounge)
6. dont rush through the animations if it takes 2 weeks to get it right then so be it(youll get faster with practice.

thats all i got for now how that helps

asterias
04-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Nicholas..

I really loved the ideas that you have. They are pretty cool.

However on the animation front, a lot of work still needs to be done. You have the creativity, but you do need to, IMHO, recap the basics.

The whole animation has the floating feeling that "thehive" and "lewistaylor" are talking about. It looks as if its been splined without proper key frames.

Do a few basic exercises and then dive into big stuff:)

Keep it going

`a

Nickray3d
04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
first of all, thanks so much to the critiques you all have given! i've taken all of them in much appreciation. after posting this demo online i've gone back basically to the basics and have begun alot of little animations ( mostly under 10 seconds) for my revised copy and i'm going to focus more on key posing and of course timing. i've been told but other people that my camera work definately needs work and that i could pull a few things out of this demo and enhance them to use in the future but i really appreciate the reponse so far from this site and above all else the honesty... i will post more animations hopefully soon and check back to my youtube for more small animations that are wip

thank you all :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.