PDA

View Full Version : Shading help! Noob seeks help shading something like...

outerheaven
04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

Basically im trying to shade my model so that it looks like this
http://mpan3.homeip.net/content/misc/realsss.jpg

any steps on this?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

playmesumch00ns
04-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Search for ambient occlusion with whatever software you're using

stage-gr
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
and if ambient occlusion doesn't do it for you, search for "clay renders"

outerheaven
04-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Awesome, ill do that as soon as i get home!

Thanks for your help!

Would this be hard to do in maya?

Marcel
04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
and if "Clay Renders" doesn't work out try "Skylight" :)

playmesumch00ns
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
...and if all else fails, actually try some lighting!

Marcel
04-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Nah, that's too easy :twisted:

outerheaven
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
lol i dont think my previous post went through so yeah :)

thanks for your replies ... and uhh... yes... ill "actually try some lighting" :P

*whispers to self* well i DID but obv im still a NOOB coz i couldnt FIGURE IT OUT so i signed up to this FORUM seeking HELP from EXPERIENCED ARTISTS DSFILASDJKLFASKLDFKLDSJA!

:)

but yeah, thanks again! ill be trying it out when i get home :)

would ambient occlusion and clay renders be difficult to produce in maya?

scrimski
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
would ambient occlusion and clay renders be difficult to produce in maya?No.
Do as told in post #2 already, should be faster than posting and waiting for reply.

Gurboura
04-04-2008, 03:02 AM
lol i dont think my previous post went through so yeah :)

thanks for your replies ... and uhh... yes... ill "actually try some lighting" :P

*whispers to self* well i DID but obv im still a NOOB coz i couldnt FIGURE IT OUT so i signed up to this FORUM seeking HELP from EXPERIENCED ARTISTS DSFILASDJKLFASKLDFKLDSJA!

:)

but yeah, thanks again! ill be trying it out when i get home :)

would ambient occlusion and clay renders be difficult to produce in maya?

No.

For Maya AO (Ambient Occlusion) do the following:

1. Grab all surfaces. Except lights.
2. Put all surfaces into a new Render Layer.
3. Grab everything except walls, ceiling and floor.
4. Open Attribute Editor in General Editors.
5. Turn Primary Visibility off.
6. Right click on the new render layer, go to Presets and do Ambient Occlusion.
7. Change Max Distance for AO to 1 or 2. I'd do 1 for you're case.
8. Render.
9. When you have the AO, do a Layered Texture, put the AO Texture in that and set it to Multiply.

outerheaven
04-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Hey im back, and i tried your steps but to no success :(

Remember im an absolute noob :) can you provide some clearer steps please 0:)

lol i know its quite shameful asking this but i just cant seem to find certain things your telling me to do

like, how do i put things into a new render layer?

Thanks again dude, trust me your help is greatly appriciated :)

Geuse
04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
do you know where the display layers are? right beside you have a radio button for the render layers. click that to activate the render layers instead and use them by selecting objects in your viewport and simply middle mouse button drag the objects over your appropriate render layer, then release. there are some presets that'll come in handy. right click the render layer and navigate to "presets -> occlusion"

hope that helps

Gurboura
04-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey im back, and i tried your steps but to no success :(

Remember im an absolute noob :) can you provide some clearer steps please 0:)

lol i know its quite shameful asking this but i just cant seem to find certain things your telling me to do

like, how do i put things into a new render layer?

Thanks again dude, trust me your help is greatly appriciated :)

Sure. Sorry, I didn't write them clearer.

Down at the bottom right corner, there's a box that says "Display Layers" or "Layers" (Forgot which, sorry.) and next to that, it says "Render Layers". Click on Render Layers. Create a new Render Layer like you would a regular layer.

Click on "layer 1" or "layer 2" whichever it creates. Don't click on master layer!

After you've done, grab the things in you scene except cameras, lights and 3d placement nodes.

Once you've done this, right click on the "layer 1" and say "Add Selected Objects to Layer". When you do this, right click on the layer, go to Presets and click on Ambiet Occlusion. By this time, everything should be glad, don't worry.

Now, grab everything except the walls, ceiling, and floor. If you kept everything organized, this shouldn't be hard.

Once you have everything but the walls, ceilings and floor, go to "Window" then go to General and click on Attribute Spread Sheet. When this opens, make the window bigger, and look for "Primary Visibility", change that to "off" or "0" (zero) (Tip: Click on the tab that says Primary Visibility, and it should select everything in that row, so you can just type 0 (zero) or off.

Render it out, and it should work.

Dtox
04-08-2008, 03:34 AM
You could also download the tutorials for MayaPLE that concern navigating the interface and getting familiar with Maya terminology.
Then all the instructions that people have given you so far will make much more sense.

I'm pretty sure they have video tutorials on their site in flash format which will make it even easier.
Much easier than having people explain things in text on the forums.

That's usually the recommended 1st step in starting with 3D.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2008, 03:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.