PDA

View Full Version : shatter effect problem

adoptsomenewphilosophy
04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
i need to do a solid shatter on an object. there keeps having an error that says something about the script doesn't work. someone on another forum said something about deleting history? my object that needs to shatter was booleaned and i try to delete history, and i think that's not the problem. i'm doing a tutorial about exploding a rock wall. i've got my wall textured and everything and i have the wall with a hole in it and the piece that fits in the hole. now the piece needs to break (shatter). it shouldn't be too hard... anyone had the same problem? any ideas?

oglop
04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
yes maya's shatter is buggy.
There is a script on highend3d "Crack me"

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/modeling/misc/Crack-Me-4386.html

u can try this script, it's more intuitive, and more stable. i'm doing a shatter effect project, and have got the same problem as u did. i'm planning to improve the script a little bit, but anyway, with this script, and a point randomizer script, and a little bit patience, u can get the same result as the shatter effect menu.

Remember sometimes even if u deleted history , shatter still don't work, u can try merge all the vertices with a small tollerance value.

adoptsomenewphilosophy
04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
that looks like it would do the job for me, but it's impractical for what i'm doing overall. i'm writing a tutorial for my teacher to give out to kids, and they're beginners, so i can't hand out plugins or scripts, you know?

Bombata
04-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I think with the solid shatter you have to have 1 vertex selected for Maya to create the simulation. With surface shatter you can just have the object selected. I think it mentions this in the script editor when you get the error message.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2008, 02:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.