PDA

View Full Version : Where can I purchace a legal copy?

SalvadorRuizJr
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
without having to pay 'full' price?

I know with Amazon I can save myself from having to pay any tax, but anyone know of any other legitamit sellers that have discounts for CS3 Extended?

TheNeverman
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I believe Adobe dictates the price - so your gonna see pretty much the same price no matter where you buy from...

Some states also now require you to declare internet purchases when you file your taxes...

fluxist8070
04-07-2008, 04:31 AM
I have seen some liscences for sale on ebay.
Also, if you are in school or college, you can get a copy from
academicsuperstore.com
journeyed.com
studica.com

TheNeverman
04-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Be aware that you will need to fill out a transfer of license request if buying second hand

Section 4.4 of the Photoshop EULA:
No Transfer. YOU MAY NOT RENT, LEASE, SELL, SUBLICENSE, ASSIGN OR TRANSFER YOUR RIGHTS IN THE SOFTWARE, OR AUTHORIZE ANY PORTION OF THE SOFTWARE TO BE COPIED ONTO ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL OR LEGAL ENTITY'S COMPUTER EXCEPT AS MAY BE PERMITTED HEREIN. You may, however, transfer all your rights to use the Software to another individual or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), the Software and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, upgrades, updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats to such individual or entity; (b) you retain no upgrades, updates or copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this agreement and any other terms and conditions under which you purchased a valid license to the Software. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, YOU MAY NOT TRANSFER EDUCATION, PRE-RELEASE, OR NOT FOR RESALE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE. Prior to a transfer Adobe may require that you and the receiving party confirm in writing your compliance with this agreement, provide Adobe with information about yourselves, and register as end-users of the Software. Allow 4-6 weeks to transfer. Please visit http://www.adobe.com/support or contact Adobe's Customer Support Department for more information.

suztv
04-07-2008, 03:02 PM
You might be able to buy an OEM - but buyer beware. Some of these OEM software sites are ripped copied sold illegally so be careful.

You might also be able to buy a copy from someone willing to sell the software rights... but like the other person said you would have to fill out forms etc...

Another way to go would be to purchase an older copy of the software and upgrade to the current version.

Although - if you are using Photoshop just for simple edits and some minor stuff, Photoshop Elements might be what you want. It still has most of the capabilities that you would need if you are just interested in creating some graphics, but it is limited as far as what it is capable of outputting (no CMYK, or other print necessities).

TheNeverman
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Photoshop 5 was the last version to be sold in an OEM 'bundle' - and is only legally distributed when sold with specified accompanying hardware.

When these programs are copied and/or sold separately from the hardware, it is a violation of the license with the software publisher, and therefore illegal.

chemkid
04-10-2008, 06:34 PM
beware OEM versions!!! 99% of them are very original looking copies!

better check if buying cs3 online is cheaper for you (no tax... or something).
the online version (download-only) is definitely cheaper than the boxed with books and everything!

for german or other non-english speaking countries, it`s often much cheaper to buy the not localized version. most manuals and books are english anyway, so why bother. it sure saved me a lot of money!

chem!

dragonstooth257
04-14-2008, 05:41 AM
my advise would be that if you are using the product for commerical purposes then you would be safest to go directly to adobe and purchase the copy from them. That way you are purchasing a legitamate copy that you know won't come back to bite you a couple of years down the track with an expensive lawsuit.

it really is buyer beware when considering purchases from sites other than the official site and even if it is going to cost you an arm and a leg your proffessional reputation is probably worth more in the long run. Also if you use a copy that is illegal (even if your unaware of it) it will affect your clients if it comes out that you have broken the law. At the end of the day it is really not worth trusting anything but the official sources when it comes to commerical uses.

however there are academic licences available which would be suitable for someone who wishes to play around with photoshop at home as this licence does not cover commerical use but gives you a full install of the product at a heavily reduced price. The only problem is you usually need to provide a current student ID (or at least that is how it works in my country).

Hope that helps.

TimothyB
04-23-2008, 04:38 AM
I'm in the same situation and just got myself into a bind with my blind purchase.

Searching the net I found many sites with Creative Suite 3 Production Premium from $930-$1200+. All claiming to be full retail, right manfact code, usually no manuals, and some clearly saying oem. Read about every review on every pricing site.

I took a chance on a lesser known site with near the best price, got it next day. Suppose to be retail. I got the legit two DVD cases, serials on the back, still sealed. I called Adobe to check the serial number, stating I wanted to make sure it was the retail commerical, not oem or education. Turns out it is education.

Oddly, the Adobe representitive was saying not to worry, it was full legitimate version with the same functionality as the commerical, and to just use it, as if it would be a waste of time to send it back, not even asking if I was a student. Anyone listening could tell I was disappointed to find this out. I told him it was mostly for personal use, but I wanted to be sure I could do freelance things now and then, once a year. I was also worried about upgrading. He said upgrading was okay, that I would be able to upgrade to the next commercial suite with the serial online as if it were retail. I never directly asked about the commercial use thing.

Now I'm wondering if I should just keep it. And I keep seeing this faq from Adobe allowing commercial use of educational verisons, but oddly it always says UK in the URL:
http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/faq.html

I haven't found on the english site anywhere that says not for commercial use either, except specifically for older macromedia only products, like this:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?event=displayEduConditions&store=OLS-EDU&nr=1
""""What are the restrictions in using education versions of Adobe products?
A customer may only purchase one copy of any product. Education versions of Former Macromedia products only (Studio 8, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) are intended for instructional and administrative purposes only and may not be used for any commercial purpose."""""

Thus, to me, it seams educational is allowed for commerical use, and upgradable to commercial later.

I tried to comprimise with the company I bought from to refund the difference in the educational price after a set back in return shipping instructions. The standard Production Premium price is $599 for education individual license. They gave me an offer, to return it so they can send it to their vendor, blah blah blah (reimbursing shipping both ways) or take an offer of a lowered price of $800.

After being reassured from Adobe like that, the policy on educational licenses now, upgrading and commercial use, I'm considering it. I mean anywhere else it will be another $400+ and still a chance of this happening. While here, I already got the product in my hand, adobe confirmed legit license, and normally I wouldn't have been able to order edu version since I'm not in school right now.

Would it be mistake to keep it at that price? Am I wrong about using it for commercial use? Will I ever have to prove I was a student when I bought it?

chdboy
04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Dear Sir/Mam,

I can get you the software for free(Full Version),If you are interested please mail me at camguyinhere@yahoo.com

Thanks and Regards

Chdboy

TimothyB
04-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Ignore my post above, I've already sent back the educational copy. Didn't want the foundation of the software I own and upgrade being illegal because of not being a student end user.

suztv
04-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Timothy - and to anyone who is confused about student licensing...

If you buy a copy of the adobe software with student licensing, you can use it for personal or educational use, long after you've taken your class. But you cannot use it for professional use (i.e. freelance or a business) - but you CAN upgrade from the educational version for about as much as it would cost to upgrade as if you had the previous version's license... They do this to encourage more people to buy their products. It costs far less for Adobe to sell Photoshop etc. at a student rate and upgrade those people at a discount than it costs to have people try it and then pirate it.

As far as OEM - it depends on whom you buy the software from, mostly OEM is software that should come with a computer. IDK if Adobe stopped doing that on version 5 or not, but it might no hurt to look around.

Buying the software from Adobes site does not answer the persons question who started this thread. If people are interested, you could try www.cdw.com, www.newegg.com, www.tigerdirect.com etc... One of them has got to have a deal...

Other than that, try Gimp.

dragonstooth257
04-24-2008, 04:08 AM
In my experience as a salesperson for a chain that supplies adobe products and other software the only company that cares if you are a student or not is microsoft and that is in regards to microsoft office professional. however we just usually tell people to find a friend with a student id if they wish to purchase office professional for non commerical uses and bring them in to show their ID at the time of purchase.

Educational versions of most software are usually full versions that they have modified the licences for to say that you can't make money from using it. You don't get stung if you are just pottering away at home ... you only get stung if you start using it commerically. Realistically most major companies don't give a rat's behind about the odd person who picks up something like an educational version at a discounted rate as described above. It's actually a positive thing for them because when you do make money from it you have to upgrade to a professional edition and they make more money then. Most major companies only go after those who are making big dollars out of fudging the system.

any way it would be very bad publicity for a company such as adobe to sting a home user for having an educational version on their system when they are just pottering around learning to use the software. That sort of publicity would probably drive away more customers than the comany could afford to loose as customers would all then be afraid of the same thing happening and thus they wouldn't buy the product in the first place.

TimothyB
04-24-2008, 04:27 AM
One last time with education. To be extra sure. While I don't plan to have that anymore, I really want the final answer incase I see a student asking this question.

I've always known they are not for commercial use. But these last couple days of research I get the impression Adobe changed that policy, atleast in certain areas of the world. And for North America, I just can't find anywhere on their site about forbidding commercial use.

Is there anywhere on their site that says no commercial use? I tried looking through the entire EULA for CS3 Photoshop, http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/, only mention is how you must qualify to use the educational version, but no restricted use mentioned (page 426)

Upon entering the Adobe Educational Store for North America, you are greeted with this page:
https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?event=displayEduConditions&store=OLS-EDU&nr=1

Under restrictions for use of Educational products, it only says for older non-CS3 Macromedia products they can't be used for commercial use, but no where about the Adobe products or the current CS3 versions of things like Flash and such.

Of course, if it is true you can use it for commercial use, then that only applies if you were qualified to buy an educational version. If some how you got a copy, like I did, and not a student, then you shouldn't be using it for anything, let alone commercial.

TimothyB
04-24-2008, 04:37 AM
without having to pay 'full' price?

I know with Amazon I can save myself from having to pay any tax, but anyone know of any other legitamit sellers that have discounts for CS3 Extended?

I suppose the only chance are small tiny discounts on various well known sites, or maybe something bundled of value.

The only way I see it, and avoiding educational versions, it just finding a full retail license on ebay for slightly cheaper. The cheaper it is, the more of chance you might be sent educational versions, or other issues. I say if you find a good seller, has the right buyer protection, and shows photos of the actual product, sealed, and shows the sticker on the bottom with the correct part number for the retail version, then you might make some good savings.

I just did this with Production Premium. Here's hoping I get it, full box with manuals and extra training dvds, for $1,100 (borderline lowest price to consider). The seller showed a photo of the box, mentioned the correct part code. And I was sent a picture of the actual code on the box. There were plenty of other options that were not as cheap and probably safer to buy from. But I checked seller history, and history every buyer related to that seller. And I avoided any auctions that just showed just dvd cases, as those are more like how the educational versions are sold and don't indicate education on the cases until you register with the serial or call adobe.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2008, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.