PDA

View Full Version : Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Eugene Randolph Young

Eurayo
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
On of my most vivid memories of science ficiton illustration is of a Jim Burns cover for Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg. My sister had inherited a box full of books from my aunt who was an avid reader of horror and sci-fi novels. I got a few of them, mostly paperbacks. To be honest, I was more interested in the cover art than actually reading the stories. But I was fascineated by two in particular, and both had Burns covers.

It had to have been the near photorealistic renderings of a Burns cover that would inspire me to invest in an airbrush many years later, and spend hours wrestling with frisket, trying to duplicate his technique in the cold dark of my parents, garage while my low-end compressor jiggled across the concrete floor. The image of a future with organic architecture and gorgeous people in outfits that wore like a second skin stuck in my mind and influenced my many attempts at finished work in acrylics on illustraton board. I didn't know the basics of anatomy or compsition, but I kept at it, producing one bad piece after another, learning something new with every failure.

Needless to say, seeing a Jim Burns piece used to promote this event immediately resonated with me. It takes me back to a time of wreckless enthusisam for bringing to life things from my imagination.

So how should I approach this challenge? I need an idea, and a good one. But since the theme is somewhat open, I want to center the idea around something relevant to my own life. After all, the best of science fiction tends to speak dircetly to some aspect of the human condition through allegory. It's also gotta look cool.

First, some brainstorming:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/Eurayo/universeup_01.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/Eurayo/universeup_02.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.