PDA

View Full Version : Importance of correct geometry

wannabeArtist
04-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Hello,

I've been watching a bunch of modeling tutorials to get started with modeling. They leave many questions open about the technique, but here's one modeling question that I would really like someone to answer and explain, before I go and start working:

How important is it to keep objects from overlapping each other? Consider a joint between a couple of pipes (cylinders): Is it really crappy practice to just move the other sligtly overlapping the other cylinder, or should it always be done without overlapping? I mean cut a mathing hole in the other cylinder and weld them nicely?

musashidan
04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
It all depends on what your final result will be.You have to take alot of things into consideration:will it deform or be animated?Will there be render artifacts?Am i going for 100% photorealism?How far from the camera is my object?Will the texture look odd?

This is a question that you can only really answer yourself based on your scene circumstances.

NoshDir85
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Much agreed. When an object is mid to far range, yea, you could get away with it...sometimes. Again, depends on what style your going for and if you want it photo-realistic, as well as the lighting setup and renderer.

MarkInTx
04-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Hello,

I've been watching a bunch of modeling tutorials to get started with modeling. They leave many questions open about the technique, but here's one modeling question that I would really like someone to answer and explain, before I go and start working:

How important is it to keep objects from overlapping each other? Consider a joint between a couple of pipes (cylinders): Is it really crappy practice to just move the other sligtly overlapping the other cylinder, or should it always be done without overlapping? I mean cut a mathing hole in the other cylinder and weld them nicely?

Do you mean objects overlapping? Or do you mean polygons?

Objects overlap each other in a scene all the time. (And can change depending on camera angle...) Polygons overlapping would cause trouble with your mesh when you subdivide -- if I understand what you are asking.

I'm trying to visualize what you mean... could you post a picture, or drawing or something?

========================
Silo - Messiah
========================
DigitalArtistGuild.com

wannabeArtist
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey, thanks, great answers

I guess the cylinder scenario was a bit stupid, because it of course looks different, if you merge polygons (edges?) or just push the other cylinder inside the other cylinder.
Another similar question, why is it important to delete polygons when combining objects (from the surface that is not shown (rendered?) after combining them?

musashidan
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Another similar question, why is it important to delete polygons when combining objects (from the surface that is not shown (rendered?) after combining them?

Could you explain this a little more?

wannabeArtist
04-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, I meant combining to objects together so that part of the surface on each is "matched" in the other object. Consider putting to boxes next to each other, so you get a longer box, then you would delete the polygons on the sides that will be joined together.

musashidan
04-05-2008, 11:46 PM
When you combine 2 meshes:verts cannot be welded unless the edges you want them to share have no faces obstructing the weld operation.
So yes,you have to delete the faces;but only if you intend to weld the verts.Otherwise,it's a case of refering to the posts above.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2008, 11:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.