PDA

View Full Version : Can you have more than one global event?

davestewart
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi All,
I have 2 separate flows combining into one flow. What I want to know is are both the top events global, or only the first one?

Thanks,
Dave

pixel9
04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
As far as I understand PFlow up to now, both events are global. - Someone may correct me, if I'm mistaken.

charleyc
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes, the particles entering the common event from system 1 retain their settings and the same for the ones from system 2. Any Operator in teh common Even that tries to re-assign one of the global values will not effect the particles.

OlegB
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
that tries to re-assign one of the global values will not effect the particles

Actually, it depends on the state of the option Particle View > Options > Actions Order.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

davestewart
04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Hello again,
Thanks for the help so far.

I seem to be a little perplexed by the global events. I thought I knew how to do this, but it's catching me out.

I'm trying another version of this animation, with one global event, that has all the animation that I'd like to remain uniformly conrtrolled across the entire animation. One of the operators is the spin operator, and another is scale.

However, when the particles go from event 2, into event 3 (you'll see the particle IDs come on), it's pretty obvious that there's a sudden jolt in the spin to something else entirely, as well as a small (but noticable) shift in scale.

I've attached the scene if anyone woudl like to take a look and tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks,
Dave

Bobo
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Keep in mind that many PFlow operators are applied only on entering an Event and not continuously. These include Position, Spin, Speed, Scale etc. (unless the operator has an option for Continuous effect like the Scale does). Thus, if a particle changes an event and the operator in question has a variation or random value, the particle will get a random varied value from the global operator as if the operator was part of the event the particle just entered.

In your case, the Scale has a Variation of 50% and the Spin is set to "Random 3D". Each time the particle changes the event, a new random value is generated for both. You should define these once in the Initial Event right after birth and not in the Global event to avoid the jolts.

If you want the same operation to be applied in both branches of the system, just instance the operators in both Initial Events. (an "Initial Event" is the event directly connected to a PF Source and containing the Birth Operator)

davestewart
04-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi Bobo,

That great - rotation is now sorted! Try as I might, I can't seem to manage to get scale to behave though; there's always either a slight pop from event to event, or no random scaling at all.

Can you tell me where I should place the scale operator to have particles maintain an initial random size throughout their lives?

Thanks for your help so far!
Dave

davestewart
04-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Changing the update order to Global First seems to have solved this, but it's strange as I have no Global Scale operators.

The issue was with an instanced Scale operator of Absolute type in both the "Initial Particles" event and the "Vortex" event, on the first frame of the Vortex event, the particles would "pop" big for one frame, then resort to their assigned scale.

I had to add another instance of the scale operator to the "Vortex" event in order to make the scale continue to this event.

Is this me doing something I shouldn't?

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 12:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.