PDA

View Full Version : Vray for Blender

ngrava
04-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Every time I turn around I see some refrence to Blender have some sort of cool feature. The other day a friend of mine said, "yeah, I'll start using Blender when they have Vray". It was more like he was saying "Yeah, that will never happen!" Then today I see this:

http://www.blendernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/vray-screenshot.thumbnail.jpg
Fullscreen (http://www.blendernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/vray-screenshot.jpg)

http://www.blendernation.com/2008/03/28/v-rayblender-integration/

chewedon
04-02-2008, 03:59 AM
:D

Hehe.

I bet your friend is speechless :P

DuttyFoot
04-02-2008, 04:51 AM
does that mean they will soon come with vray for maya...i wonder??

ThirdEye
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
If the whole point of Blender is giving it away for free then i don't get what's the point of porting a 1000 bucks rendering engine to it. Cool nonetheless.

instinct-vfx
04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
@DuttyFoot : Both VRayMaya and VRayXSI are in development and closed beta. And as a sidenote this is not an integrated plugin for blender, but a set of exporters that utilise VRayStandalone for Maya.

Regards,
Thorsten

chewedon
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
If the whole point of Blender is giving it away for free then i don't get what's the point of porting a 1000 bucks rendering engine to it. Cool nonetheless.

One of the reasons I love Blender is because it is a chance for people who can't afford commercial softwares be able to learn 3D. Guess that can be considered one of the reasons for giving it away for free.

(I dont' like it because it's free, I like it because it's what I'm used to, it's something that works for me).

I don't think they're building V-ray into Blender. They're most likely writing the code that allows a person who has a copy of V-ray to plug it into Blender and render out from Blender.

By making Blender be able to talk to V-ray and render out something from within Blender, using V-ray means users of Blender are now more capable of producing great renders.

Zendorf
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
This also has very cool implications for those that own a license of Vray already! My main app is C4D and I have licenses for Vray and Final Render, but I have also been heavily investing time into Blender....the reasons for not learning Blender are just too thin on the ground at the moment:wise:

Hopefully this will mean that at some stage, my one license of Vray will work between multiple apps. If the Blender/vray script eventually pipes the render passes straight into the Blender compositor I will be in heaven.

One of my main reasons for getting into Blender has been the tight integration of it's renderer and compositor...the workflow is just insanely good since you can basically be comping and relighting the scene(via normal lighting nodes) as you build up the geometry of the scene.

Very addictive indeed :thumbsup:

instinct-vfx
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Well as said above the current implementation uses the Vray for Maya standalone so the c4d license wont work. Especially since the c4d integration is not developed by chaosgroup themselves if i recall right. And in addtion it is using the standalone part. So it's basically a vrscene exporter not a tight integration. Still a nice to see effort :)

Regards,
Thorsten

attanze
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
And here is the official webpage who was updated... TODAY:

http://blender.lugr.ru/

chewedon
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Well as said above the current implementation uses the Vray for Maya standalone so the c4d license wont work. Especially since the c4d integration is not developed by chaosgroup themselves if i recall right. And in addtion it is using the standalone part. So it's basically a vrscene exporter not a tight integration. Still a nice to see effort :)

Regards,
Thorsten

There are two phases the author of the exporter script said.

Phase 1 was the export script.

Phase 2 is the integration into Blender.

instinct-vfx
04-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Yup, but as soon as phase 2 starts he will need his own standalone license and if you want to use it you'll have to get one too. As the MayaBeta wont last forever. And it's a tough call for users of an opensource package like blender to spend 800 Bucks on a plugin.

Anyways dont get me wrong. It's still a great effort and good to see VRay evolving to all sorts of platforms and hosts :)

Regards,
Thorsten

SaphireS
04-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Don't always think that everybody uses Blender only because it's for free.
I know many people who could easily afford a commercial app or switched from one of those to Blender, because of several other reasons than because of money.
So this is really useful for those people!

Blender can be part of any production pipeline, so this makes sense (to me at least).

SylvanMist
04-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Although that is on the expensive side, I have seen other commerical softwares that if they had support for blender I may have bought them. I'd rather buy a special feature program to use with blender than to buy that program+ also buy a 3d software package.
As others said, it's not only about being free, it's about what works for you. And Blender is great, it works for a lot of people :)

DuttyFoot
04-03-2008, 03:17 AM
hey instinct this sounds pretty good, i am looking forward to trying vray out for maya.

chewedon
04-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Yup, but as soon as phase 2 starts he will need his own standalone license and if you want to use it you'll have to get one too. As the MayaBeta wont last forever. And it's a tough call for users of an opensource package like blender to spend 800 Bucks on a plugin.

Anyways dont get me wrong. It's still a great effort and good to see VRay evolving to all sorts of platforms and hosts :)

Regards,
Thorsten

I don't think integration is building V-ray into Blender. It's sort of like plugin. The user's who have a copy of V-ray just installs V-ray to their computer and if they want to render with V-ray from Blender, then they just change their renderer in Blender to V-ray instead of Blender Internal, hit the render button. (That's if the phase 2 is complete).

Blender users doesn't always mean hobbyist who can't afford commercial stuff. When I say people who use Blender can are now more capable of producing great renders, I mean the people who CAN afford V-ray like the employees of a company that uses Blender.

I was sadly wrong when I thought the developers of Blender were poor instinct-vfx until I watched the live streaming Blender Conference last year. 99% of the people there were holding a Apple Mac Book/Mac Book Pro and you know how much those buggers cost ? 2000+ for Mac Book and 4000+ for Mac Book Pro (in Australia at least, the last time I checked).

shadowdragon
04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
As for people who use blender because it's free and those that use blender because they like it, I certainly fall into the latter category. I've been using blender for five years now and love it! Although I could afford other commercial apps, and some look pretty appealing (Modo?) I choose to stay with blender because it's what I like. And besides, the less you have to spend on software, the more you can spend on resources ;)

amd_raj
04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Cool, But who's going to buy it anyways? I donít think 90% Blender users are willing pay such high price for third party renderer. ;} And off course many promising open source rendering systems are coming up!

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.