PDA

View Full Version : Still Life: Ashtray

coldbloodedkiss
05-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi this is my first time posting any of my stuff. Any feed back I can get would be greatly appreciated. This was a texturing and compositing project using Maya and PhotoShop. I did it in about 4 days. Thanks for your time.

WhiteRabbitObj
05-10-2003, 08:10 AM
If you were to show me this, I would assume it was just a picture. But knowing the CG element and looking at it closer, I can find two errors. First of all, the shadow has that indent on the top from the slit in the ashtray looks bad. It's not because its unrealistic but because the composition is a little uneven then and it makes it LOOK unrealistic. Needs to be more real than real if ya know what I mean. Just rotate it would be my suggestion.

Second, there is a smudge on the side near the left side that almost looks like a reflection, I'd say change it a bit or get rid of it just cuz it looks kind of odd.

Overall, great job.

caulfield
05-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Noice.

Shaykai
05-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Pretty cool, great job, but why is there an ashtray in the bathroom? I used to live with smokes and there were ashtrays everywhere but in the bathrooms. Just a thought.

Shaykai

coldbloodedkiss
05-11-2003, 01:18 AM
I hadn't noticed the little dent in the shadow and now that you mention it it does look kind of odd. I'm not quite sure what smudge you're refering to but I'm going to look at it in the original file. I was having a nightmare of a time with the dirty inside texture of the tray so it wouldn't surprise me that there are a couple of mistakes. The ashtray is in the bathroom because I was getting ready to go out one night and I was in a rush. I had a smoke going, so I brought the ashtray in with me and I thought hey this would make a cool and unusual pic. Also I like the dingy lighting in my ugly bathroom! *L* Thanks for the comments everyone!

victor throe
05-11-2003, 10:14 AM
would you get that cut out bit in the shadow....it doesnt look like there is a cut out bit on the ashtray to cast it there...from the direction of theshadow

am i wrong

coldbloodedkiss
05-12-2003, 01:48 AM
I looked at the psd and I had grabbed the wrong shadow image and used it by mistake. I had to go back and rotate the tray a bit when I was tweaking the perspective with the image. I'm going to fix it and then repost it when I get it fixed.

sphynx
05-12-2003, 05:35 AM
This is a nice composite, i agree with the comment about the smudge that looks like a reflection. Besides that this is awesome!

Maya Ayanami
05-12-2003, 06:55 AM
try putting a smoking sigaret(spell check) in the ash tray. are you guys talking about that smudge on the outside of the ashtray. looks good.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.