PDA

View Full Version : Serious CGTalk hardware failure

Mibus
04-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Hi guys,

I'm sure you've all noticed the latest in a series of hardware failures that have affected CGTalk. I'm sorry to say that another hard drive has failed permanently. The full extent of the damage is unknown, but we can confirm (at the very least) one lost file, cgs_bg.jpg.

If anyone has any cgs_bg.jpg files spare that they can let us have, please let me know. In the meantime, tread carefully and gently around the forums, lest anything else be broken.

We aim to have any missing files restored from backup within the next 12-36 hours.

Thanks for your understanding

DaddyMack
04-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Nooooo!.... Hope it all swings back your way fast mate

DaddyMack
04-01-2008, 03:07 AM
woke up and smelt the coffee... but not until it was spoonfed to me...:blush:

Hangs head in gullible shame and learns lesson that humans aren't to be trusted anymore...:p

erilaz
04-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Wow, you're not having a good week! :sad:

Swizzle
04-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Wowzers. I was wondering what was going on. Any chance of changing the background color to something a little less eyeball-searing in the meantime?

R10k
04-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Hope it all goes smoothly for you guys...

A quick Q: where is Cgtalk hosted? It's not in Aus with you Mibus, is it?

Mibus
04-01-2008, 04:07 AM
The DB server is located in Texas, but most of the web nodes are actually in a closet in my bedroom. The whole 'connection reset' error people get is when my broadband flakes out.

faz222
04-01-2008, 07:07 AM
lol Mibus (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=33432) :twisted:

trthing
04-01-2008, 07:30 AM
The DB server is located in Texas, but most of the web nodes are actually in a closet in my bedroom. The whole 'connection reset' error people get is when my broadband flakes out.

I thought you mentioned before you were leeching your neighborhood's bandwidth through his unprotected wireless home network.

Did he implemented a WEP key?

R10k
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
LOL

When I asked, "with you" I wasn't thinking with you... but wow, that's amazing to know ;)

MrPositive
04-01-2008, 08:12 AM
A 300,000 member site is being run from a closet in your bedroom? Hahaha awesome.

Rebeccak
04-01-2008, 08:15 AM
It's all that baby makin that's killing the internets. :p

Admittedly, the gray hurts my brain less than did the black...

MasterZap
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
If all is lost, and cgs_bg.jpg is indeed lost, like tears in the rain, then perhaps you should experiment with more advanced red gradient technologies.

Since the old red gradient was based on the decay rate of a plutassium globule dipped in electrolyte, and this experiment will be impossible to replicate with the current plutassium depletage (gosh darn global warming!), I suggest you try the new quantuum gradient creation method (I think it is available in the new PhotoShop CS4, which John, Thomas, Aaron and Grassy Knoll has been writing on their spare time).

If you can't get a hand of the pre-alpha of CS4, I suggest you try the newfangled diagonal gradient feature in HTML; it works the same as a standard HTML gradient, but you just have to turn the HTML sideways 45 degrees... i.e. the angle brackes become square brakets and so on. Very spiffy.

/Z

rende
04-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I actually like the flat background color, could be a little darker though.

MrPositive
04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
If all is lost, and cgs_bg.jpg is indeed lost, like tears in the rain, then perhaps you should experiment with more advanced red gradient technologies.

Since the old red gradient was based on the decay rate of a plutassium globule dipped in electrolyte, and this experiment will be impossible to replicate with the current plutassium depletage (gosh darn global warming!), I suggest you try the new quantuum gradient creation method (I think it is available in the new PhotoShop CS4, which John, Thomas, Aaron and Grassy Knoll has been writing on their spare time).

If you can't get a hand of the pre-alpha of CS4, I suggest you try the newfangled diagonal gradient feature in HTML; it works the same as a standard HTML gradient, but you just have to turn the HTML sideways 45 degrees... i.e. the angle brackes become square brakets and so on. Very spiffy.

/Z

Man, I don't know what the hell you just said, but you touched a brother.

CGmonkey
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Why does this smell.. like how it usually smells on 1st of april? ONE jpg.. Hmm.. And asking for it when you guys have backups ^^ funny indeed!

L.Rawlins
04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
A 300,000 member site is being run from a closet in your bedroom? Hahaha awesome.

That's nothing, I've got a universe in my sock draw.

Carina
04-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Oh wow, that's awesome!:)

DaveWortley
04-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Why does this smell.. like how it usually smells on 1st of april? ONE jpg.. Hmm.. And asking for it when you guys have backups ^^ funny indeed!

A 300,000 member site is being run from a closet in your bedroom?

A couple of porkies here methinks. What's the date again?

DimitrisLiatsos
04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Well actually is my birthday....and Mibus indeed hides the SeRver in his closet..i have seen it....

Ahhh the barbeque times....and the hot beer from the raid ...weeee.. :D

Carina
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Hah, your birthday is April fools'? How sweet:)

Edit: Oh, forgot the important part... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

automat
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
So happy Birthday to you.

Pyke
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I quite like the new background.....

danbaiton
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeh I quite like the new background also, but for some reason I sense something fishy is going on being April 1st n all :P

Olethros
04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah right… lol Mibus, you are not good at lying...
Now rename that cgs_bg.jpg.temp back to normal :D

MasterZap
04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I actually like the flat background color, could be a little darker though.

Yeah, #373737 is the new black.

/Z

AikoWorld
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Hahaha, good move, after the missing posts this weekend, made me nearly fool myself in beleaving this.

Btw keep the new BG, it`s cool, much more relaxing :)

Happy Aprils Fools Day :D

Also as in Australia you pay per gig of bandwith, which is pretty high there, i doubt your even trying to leach of your broadband connection :D

Well correct me if i`m wrong, i just heard a couple days ago how the broadband works in Australia.

Jassar
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Aha! no new theme then....darn. Happy April guys :)

RobertoOrtiz
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I quite like the new background.....
Hi Pike, In my case it is blinding me....
Good luck to the tech guys for a quick resolution.
-R

Rickmeister
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
April joke or not... this background is annoying!

I allway knew that the succes of this site is in the black with red gradient background ;)

P_T
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
...and Mibus indeed hides the SeRver in his closet..i have seen it....What were you doing in his bedroom? :twisted:

Carina
04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
It has been puzzling me all day why people would complain.. then I opened it up using IE instead of Firefox.. In firefox it's a nice mid-grey shade, which is actually nice, and I'd say preferrable to the normal one. In IE it's bright white.

*hugs her Firefox*

Rebeccak
04-01-2008, 05:28 PM
This website needs >more gradient< (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Misc/overhaul.jpg). Ooh, maybe even an animated gif and bubbles. :D

MasterZap
04-01-2008, 05:28 PM
It has been puzzling me all day why people would complain.. then I opened it up using IE instead of Firefox.. In firefox it's a nice mid-grey shade, which is actually nice, and I'd say preferrable to the normal one. In IE it's bright white.

*hugs her Firefox*

Who, in 2008, would get the idea to actually start internet exploder?!?

*shudders*

It's as bad as starting Outlook

/Z

Carina
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I know.. I'm ashamed of myself, I feel dirtied :(

Becca: That's awesome, got my vote hands down .. or up since we're voting *confused*

Rebeccak
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Becca: That's awesome, got my vote hands down .. or up since we're voting *confused*Now we only have to convince salmon. ;)

Koogle
04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
weak cgtalk server hardware? or just the weakest april fools i've come across on a website today? :eek:

Spin99
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought someone wrote a background eating virus and unleashed it on the Society's render farm.
It keeps replicating and has now started its worldwide mutation, about to hit the CNN site soon, then Microsoft, tomorrow the world..

Don't call me about it I know nothing, don't write viruses, don't have any, and never met anybody that does or knows anything about it..

TheANIMAL
04-01-2008, 08:31 PM
AAaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhh, make the white go away!!!

Mibus
04-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, this was our lame last-minute joke :)

I thought it was appropriate with all the server issues we've had in the last month!

(A special thanks to those who gracefully donated a background image, it's been installed ;) ).

Dennik
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
All those cgs_bg.jpgs offered are impostors.
I'm afraid the real cgs_bg.jpg has been lost forever.
My condolences to the gradients family.

DimitrisLiatsos
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
What were you doing in his bedroom? :twisted:

Errr....watching his closet poster??!? ....

http://www.heyrube.com/images/pickupgirls-front288.jpg

:bounce::scream:

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.