PDA

View Full Version : Events and Parties

chrisWhite
03-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Anybody seen any side events or parties announced yet?

Maybe we should put together a thread with all the details as they become available so no one misses anything.

I just checked all the big 3D software companies and, as far as I can tell, none of them have announced any events yet.

jgoldfin
04-04-2008, 06:44 PM
It's a bit early for any details, but I can confirm that the annual Softimage SIGGRAPH User Event will be taking place on Tuesday, August 12th.

I think most companies - including ours - start releasing details and sending out invites closer to the late June/early July timeframe.

jen

malducin
04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
And of course the SIGGRAPH Receptio will take place Thursday August 14.

aglick
04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
duh...

never mind.

;)

snovak
04-13-2008, 12:35 PM
The SIGGRAPH Chapters party is always intense. It's free and open to all conference attendees. We're still figuring out venue and other details.. but I'll update this post when I know more.

FUG1T1VE
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Ive always missed the blur parties when Siggie is in LA. :(

Titus
05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
The SIGGRAPH Chapters party is always intense. It's free and open to all conference attendees. We're still figuring out venue and other details.. but I'll update this post when I know more.

Please, don't do it at the Mayan... for Nth year in a row.

aglick
05-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Please, don't do it at the Mayan... for Nth year in a row.

I believe that the first time i went to the Mayan was at the alias|Wavefront AWGUA party for MAYA 4.0 -then went the next night for the Rhythm & Hues party.

I guess EVERYBODY still books stuff at the Mayan...

-still a cool joint i guess...

malducin
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
The Mayan is not too bad, but it sometimes gets too crowded and noisy (I do remember that AWGUA party, I think the crew of Final Fantasy was presenting stuff). So if you want to talk to someone the hallways there might be packed. As the parties from last year showed, nowadays most venues are too small for many of the parties (like the Softimage party last year). And walking from the Mayan back to the hotelsis a bit scary, some of the streets are really dark and deserted.

Still you can go to the Pantry on the way back for some late dinner ;-).

mayaartist
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I would definately look for the Autodesk party. Last year in San Diego they rented out the entire air craft carrier. It was a blast. I also assume that the Autodesk party replaced Agua because I didn't see any Agua events. Good times!

chrisWhite
06-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Yeah, the Autodesk party last year was insane! Definitely want to jump on that as soon as there are details.

jgoldfin
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
The main reason people book the Mayan is that there are very limited choices for venues in downtown LA. As for scary walks, you have to be careful, but downtown LA seems to be getting a bit better - I was there in April scouting out locations and it wasn't too bad.

The place we chose for the Softimage User Event 2008 will hold close to 2000.

Last year the House of Blues Party had capacity for about the same, maybe closer to 2500. I know we were full early, and some folks were disappointed that they couldn't get in.

It's difficult to find a venue that holds much more than that unless you book a stadium, so if you are signed up to attend an event and want to make sure you get in, I always recommend getting there early.

I remember lining up for the Blur party in 2004 an hour before the doors opened, and eating pizza in the line up... We got in, and it was well worth the wait!!

Hope to see you at our party - we'll be opening up registration by early July.

jen

malducin
06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
... Hope to see you at our party - we'll be opening up registration by early July. jen

Good to know. Hopefully it'll be a bit more organized. Last year when I went to the booth (for the Syd Mead DVD signing) I was told just to show at House of Blues and that was in. Later that night in line people were showing and saying that you needed to pickup tickets at the booth with your email confirmation. I decided to call it the night.

jgoldfin
06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I know, it was an overwhelming experience for us. BUT.. we did learn some lessons from the ticket distribution last year, and we will do our best to make sure that it's more organized this time.

The plan is - bring your printed confirmation to the booth to get a wristband, and you'll be fast tracked to get in Tuesday night. If you don't make it to the booth, bring the print out to the venue and you'll also be fast tracked to get in.

If you registered, and do not have a print out, we'll check names at the door, but that line-up will be slower.

I still advise people to come earlier rather than later, when you have 2000+ people at an event, at a certain point, you need to cede authority to a club's security team, and there is nothing that we can do after a certain point.

trust me - i got yelled personally last year while i was waiting for some clients last year outside House of Blues.. I would like to avoid that experience again! :)

jen

dubi
06-08-2008, 08:52 AM
huuu!!!
the is a best part at siggraph... :beer: haha...!!
the party of autodesk in SD was amazing... and softimage... and ILM and... haha... !!
so I slept all morning in presentations or exhibition :p... be careful about that !!! :wip:

mayaartist
06-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Jen,

I'm glad you got to go check out things downtown Los Angeles, for the Soft Image party. I have been working at a great studio near by, and the last few months I commute through there in the evenings. I remember some of the awesome events I have been to there in past Siggraphs.

Anyways, I went and checked out some of the places for old times sakes while having a nice beer or two, and I think it is also getting much better. Hopefully it stays that way and we will all have a great event come August.

Corey

chrisWhite
06-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I know you guys mentioned walking around downtown LA, someone I'm going with is freaking out about the area and says that walking anywhere is out of the question. Is it really dangerous or just a bit scary to be walking around the area to and from events, convention center and hotel?

malducin
06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
It's a bit scary since some areas get almost totally deserted at night and some streets are very dark. Walking back from the Mayan to the hotel is a bit scary although I've never heard of anything happening. As long as you walk in groups from there it should be fine.

Walking along Figueroa is much safer, so going back and forth between the convention center and many of the hotels is not a big problem. Some events like the Reception are no problem since there will be buses.

The user group parties are another matter. Many are held outside of downtown so the only good way of getting around is via taxi.

cspangler
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
I know you guys mentioned walking around downtown LA, someone I'm going with is freaking out about the area and says that walking anywhere is out of the question. Is it really dangerous or just a bit scary to be walking around the area to and from events, convention center and hotel?

During business hours, along the main drag there (I don't remember the street name) between the convention center and some of the hotels, you should be ok. However, I did walk to an event held at the Orpheum the last time which was probably not the smartest thing to do for a lone female - Kind of went through an ify area and saw some seedy stuff (perhaps more local flavor that what I bargained for). I always took a cab at night. Walking with a group is good. Just as a precaution, I remove the conference badge and put my goods in a regular bag before leaving the convention center. This year, I'll take a cab to the events outside the conv. ctr. area.

I like to walk around downtown areas - you never know what you might come across... last time in LA, I stopped to watch a taping of 24, something that I don't see everyday.

-Christy

mayaartist
06-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Chris,

You goto school in Denver right? Well it's not much scarier than downtown Denver. In other words it's not very scary, just use common sense. Infact once you are there you will see how not a big deal it is.

Some of the areas behind where the Mayan is and further back are scary, but nobody goes back there. I drove through there once just to see what it was like at two in the morning and yes it was scary, but the main areas where all the hotels are and the Staples Center(where the Lakers play) are just fine, and quite safe.

Just make sure you have good directions if you are walking at night or go with a group of people. There are a bunch of safe areas down town. You will be fine.

Tell your friend who is freakin out that they are a wuss.:p Los Angeles is a good time and quite safe.

jgoldfin
06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree - I don't think its anymore dangerous than any other major city. Walk in groups, take a cab, and don't go down any sketchy alleys! You have to be careful and keep your wits about you, that's all.

Our user event is right downtown this year, and although I think it's safe, we will probably have 1-2 shuttles on hand to do the circuit of downtown hotels after midnight, in case anyone is concerned for the walk.

jen

chrisWhite
06-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys, that's what I was expecting but I thought it would be prudent to check since my friend was so worried about it. We've probably got 10-15 people going and at least four at any given hotel so I don't think we'll have much trouble staying in groups.

I'm getting so excited, SIGGRAPH was such a blast last year.

Titus
06-21-2008, 07:11 PM

It's scary mainly, just like in the movie The Warriors.

Shocklate
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Can you dig it!?

SIGGRAPH should be awesome this year. Especially since I live close this time.

jgoldfin
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
For those of you going to SIGGRAPH, registration is now open for our 2008 User Event.

SOFTIMAGE User Event & Party

Join us at Club 740 in downtown Los Angeles for a very special Softimage User Event. Catch up with your friends and peers at L.A’s premier nightclub, and help us celebrate our customers’ fantastic work in Film, Games and Television. Featuring the latest news from Softimage and unforgettable guest performances, this event is sure to be the talk of the show.

Space is limited, so register today!

http://softimage.com/events/sig08/userEvent/ (http://softimage.com/events/sig08/userEvent/)

(More details will be posted soon)

jen

malducin
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
For those of you going to SIGGRAPH, registration is now open for our 2008 User Event.

SOFTIMAGE User Event & Party

Join us at Club 740 in downtown Los Angeles for a very special Softimage User Event. Catch up with your friends and peers at L.A’s premier nightclub, and help us celebrate our customers’ fantastic work in Film, Games and Television. Featuring the latest news from Softimage and unforgettable guest performances, this event is sure to be the talk of the show.

Space is limited, so register today!

http://softimage.com/events/sig08/userEvent/ (http://softimage.com/events/sig08/userEvent/)

(More details will be posted soon)

jen

I might be missing something but are we to assume the party will now be now on Wednesday? BTW, details of the venue:

Club 740 (http://www.740la.com/nightclub/index.htm)

gabzuka
07-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi guys, this is my first time at SIGGRAPH so I have no idea what to expect ... how are this parties? like full blown music drinking dancing party or just quite relaxed people talking kind of thing? ... also, are they free? how do you get to/from them?

A really excited about all this but there are so many things happening that I'm kind of lost :p

Thanks,

G

malducin
07-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Hi guys, this is my first time at SIGGRAPH so I have no idea what to expect ... how are this parties? like full blown music drinking dancing party or just quite relaxed people talking kind of thing? ... also, are they free? how do you get to/from them?

It depends but yes in general all if not most parties have alcohol, music (maybe some dancing), maybe some food, etc.

All prties are free except the official SIGGRAPH reception which is only included in a full cobnference pass (I think they might sell tickets to that sometimes). Most other parties you just have to sign up and is on a first come first served basis. A few are by invitation only though.

To get to them it depends where they will be held. For the SIGGRAPH Reception (this year at Dodger Stadium) there are buses to/from the convention center and official hotels. Many are held downtown at clubs or hotels downtown so you can walk to them (like the Softimage party just announced by Jen a couple posts above). There are a few instanes when they might be held outside downtown so the only option is car or taxi.

jgoldfin
07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
The Softimage User Event & Party is taking place Tuesday, August 12th from 8pm-1am.740 Club is a downtown venue, within walking distance from major hotels and the convention center.

Sign up for the event is first come, first serve. We will be sending out detailed instructions on how you can pick up your access bracelet at the booth. We are not giving out tickets this year, we are taking registration and accepting attendees based on capacity.

As for the question on what the parties cost to get in, ours is free. There won't be food served this year, and we will be offering drink tickets at the door for attendees.

Hope to see you there -

jen

dancamp
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I've signed up for the party, but I'm wondering what the arrangement is for a spouse, partner, companion being able to attend as well?

Dan

jgoldfin
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
As long as she registers in advance - the more the merrier!

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Is there a link to the registration for the softimage party?

malducin
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Is there a link to the registration for the softimage party?

It's in Jen's post:

jkahwaty
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I am traveling with a group of companions and we were going to attend until we realized we have a baby among us and he is 20. Safe to assume he cannot attend being 20?

Thanks

jgoldfin
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi John,

I believe anyone over 18 or under 21 can attend, they just get a big X on their wrist and they can't order alcohol.
jen

devank
07-03-2008, 05:00 AM
I was about to ask the same question -_'
I am also a "baby", 20:banghead:, so was wondering if i would be able to get in or no.

edit: thanks jgoldfin (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=88264) for letting us know, apparantely i didn't read your reply before posting :P

mindseyegraphics
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Anyone hear anything yet about the Autodesk user group/party? They usually have it posted by now.

MasterZap
07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
For the SIGGRAPH Reception (this year at Dodger Stadium) there are buses to/from the convention center and official hotels.

Will they seriously expect us to watch *baseball*!?! wtf?

/Z

splintercannon
07-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Ah, there's nothing wrong with baseball.

Now I've never been to SIGGRAPH before and I'm just finding out about these after convention parties. The Softimage on intrigued me so I signed up. I'm not quite sure what to expect, but i guess my biggest question is are the party favors (Food, alcohol, etc.) free or you do have to pay for them as you order them?

Maph
07-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Will they seriously expect us to watch *baseball*!?! wtf?

/Z

I suppose one can enjoy baseball, when completely wasted. :beer::p

Anyhoot, contemplating signing up for the Softimage Party. :)

MasterZap
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Ah, there's nothing wrong with baseball.

Yes there is, it's a sport. Real Men(tm) run far, far away from "sports", considering it a waste of time to watch or participate in.

My question is will there
- be a relaxed atmosphere
- drinks
- some way to *avoid* the "sports"

...then I'm there. :)

Now I've never been to SIGGRAPH before and I'm just finding out about these after convention parties.

So you're going to siggraph without knowing the actual "why" of going to Siggraph? ;)

Funny.

/Z

splintercannon
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
First of all, there is NOTHING wrong with sports. Fanatics are the problem.

Second, Last time I checked, the point of going to SIGGRAPH was to see the new technology coming up, learning new techniques with the present technology, and interacting with the people in the industry on a professional level. Partying is just an added bonus.

What fantasy world are you living in where the parties come first? I personally don't have to fly to LA to get drunk. Perhaps you should turn off the MMORPG sometime and step into the real world...

MasterZap
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
First of all, there is NOTHING wrong with sports. Fanatics are the problem.

Says you. :)

Second, Last time I checked, the point of going to SIGGRAPH was to see the new technology coming up, learning new techniques with the present technology, and interacting with the people in the industry on a professional level. Partying is just an added bonus.

What fantasy world are you living in where the parties come first? I personally don't have to fly to LA to get drunk. Perhaps you should turn off the MMORPG sometime and step into the real world...

LOL.

#1 - buy a sense of humor. I'm kidding.

#2 - IMHO, the point of Siggraph is to meet people. Or more specifically meet "the" people. Which can be done in many ways - of which over a brew is one of them. The other stuff can be done "in post" as they say. (I tend to read the papers on the flight back home, for example.)

/Z

malducin
07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Ohh I think the Reception will be fine. It'll certainly we'll be different than the usaul gathering at Pershing Square. I suspect there will be a separate area for those that don't want to watch the game. They always do when they rent venues for the reception. If they don't it would be a mess especially the food situation.

Funny thing is that after SIGGRAPH finished in Boston I took the metro to Fenway and watched a Red Sox game :-P.

[quote=splintercannon]I'm not quite sure what to expect, but i guess my biggest question is are the party favors (Food, alcohol, etc.) free or you do have to pay for them as you order them?[quote]

Depends on the party. The reception has all you can eat free food (they have tables with different varieties: Italian, American, salads, sweets, etc.) and at least 1 or 2 free drinks.

Most user group meetings nowadays don't offer anything, especially since they're held at bars and nightclubs, so you have to buy your drinks (and if you're hungry better get dinner before or after). There are exceptions though.

csmallfield
07-10-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm with masterzap on this one. It's a convention, were people convene. The tech is rarely mind-blowing as it's stuff we've already read about on the internet. Talking to some booth babe about something she just read the spec sheet for is barely helpful.

I've made more meaningful connections at the parties than at the convention floor. Plus the sentence "interacting with the people in the industry on a professional level" is sort of a silly one if you've actually been in this industry. It's an industry of filmmakers, artists, producers, shmoozers, boozers, pot heads, eccentric programmers, and lot's of really cool people. If you are too straightlaced and conservative you may be real uncomfortable at many studios.

Your aggression towards someone (Zap Andersson) who actually is an industry veteran is uncalled for and extremely unprofessional.

-Space

RobertoOrtiz
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Blur Party and FREE conference pass

http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Newsletters/newsletter045_jul3/newsletter045_jul3.html

splintercannon
07-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Well sorries all around. I suppose the problem with forums is that tone of voice isn't included because I seriously thought he was dragging my face though the mud for wanting to go to a party.

I am very aware that the best professional business relationships and huge business contracts are forged over a brew or SPORTING EVENT (golf comes to mind) and that everyone (using that LOOSELY) in this field is a crazy creative alcoholic who smokes too much weed. Personally, I love it.

So once again, sorry for the confusion and misplaced defensiveness.

chrisWhite
07-11-2008, 03:41 AM
So is there another good route to getting to the Blur party for those of us who already got a pass? I've been hearing about the Blur parties for years, but never found a way in last year. Would love to go!

aglick
07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
As always, BOXX Technologies will be throwing a big bash this year.

I can't give details on the party yet, but I can give invites to THE NEXT 10 CGTALKers WHO SEND ME AN EMAIL.

aglick@boxxtech.com

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Adam
BOXXlabs

Maph
07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Sent an e-mail. :bounce::buttrock:

Hope I'm not too late.

aglick
07-11-2008, 10:21 PM
that's it - please no more BOXX party invite requests...

sorry folks...

If you drop by the booth and ask for me, I may have a few more to share...

Cheers,

Adam

mordecaidesign
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
DOH! Missed. it. I'll stop by the booth anyway though, I'm interested in owning a Boxx someday.

ANasir
07-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Dang, how hard is it to get a pass to the Blur event anyway? This is my first Siggraph, so I'm not expecting a miracle. I do hear its a good one and it would be nice to head over though.

Titus
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Dang, how hard is it to get a pass to the Blur event anyway? This is my first Siggraph, so I'm not expecting a miracle. I do hear its a good one and it would be nice to head over though.

There are tons of parties, don't feel bad if you miss one.

BColbourn
07-14-2008, 06:26 AM
There are tons of parties, don't feel bad if you miss one.

that's good to hear, was getting worried :P

jzubiaga
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi, I found this link for the registration of the Autodesk User Group Party:
https://autodesk.wingateweb.com/attendee/event/SGUG08.ww

JuanZ.

Youpi
07-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately, Autodesk User Event is at the same time as 'Fast Forward'. :D

I hope this year registration would be better organized than last year.
In 2007, I came just after 'Fast Forward', wait one hour to get access to registration, just to hear that registration is closed and event full... :shrug:

Indeed, even if I didn't go to Autodesk party, I went to Chapter Party. Fashion Show was awesome! It was an excellent party, full of networking and I met a lot of incredible people.

A really nice night!

This year, registration is earlier, so I'll try be there in time...

mindseyegraphics
07-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks Juan for the Autodesk User group site!

This will be my 25th Siggraph and a lot of artists I've worked with I now see once a year ... at the Siggraph parties.

Adam, save us all a few tix!

- mark

malducin
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately, Autodesk User Event is at the same time as 'Fast Forward'. :D

And also it's all the way down in the Shrine Auditorium so it makes it a bit more inconvenient if you don't have a car. We'll see...

TriGirl55
07-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey everyone! This is awesome. Im psyched to be signing up for parties and whatnot already! I missed a bunch of stuff last year (being my first year doing Siggraph), so Im glad that I can get a little bit of a jump on it now. So far Im into the Softimage party, and Autodesk. Anything else out there anyone know of? I couldn't get into that Blur thing, I couldn't find a place to register....

Anyway, great to meet everyone, and see you all there!

Brian Cassil
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I've consolidated a list of all the parties that have been mentioned in this thread. Here are the ones I know about but I'm sure I'm missing some:

Sponsor - Day Time, Location, access

Autodesk - Monday 9:00 PM, Shrine Auditorium, open registration
Softimage - Tuesday 8:00 PM, Club 740, open registration
Siggraph Reception - Thursday 7:00 PM, Dodger Stadium, full conference pass needed
Boxxtech - ????, ????, invite only
Siggraph Chapters Party - ????, ????, open registration
Blur - ????, ????, invite only

Someone please fill in what I'm missing.

malducin
07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Someone please fill in what I'm missing.

SideFX always has a party, with open registration. Probably going to be held Wednesday. Pixar has a user group meeting, it'sby invitation only. Probably Thursday this year. Of the BOFs, there's the Sake Barrel opening, Monday August 11 at Wilshire Grand Hotel, Golden State Room, 7:30-9pm, no registration and open to everyone.

I don't remember if Newtek had a party last year (they usually throw one) and Luxology did have one last year so maybe one too this year. Chapters party, the last few times in LA, has been held at The Mayan. Day they have switched it around last few SIGGRAPH (probably midweek).

chrisWhite
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Luxology announced their Modo Party:

Steampunk Speakeasy SIGGRAPH Social Event (http://www.luxology.com/event/2008/SIGGRAPH/index.aspx)

Monday evening.

Sucks that it overlaps with Autodesk though.

blackSTATIK
07-17-2008, 06:27 PM
So where is the link to register for the AUTODESK party? I cant seem to find it anywhere

angrias
07-17-2008, 06:28 PM
So where is the link to register for the AUTODESK party? I cant seem to find it anywhere

I may be wrong about this, I am still very new to this entire event - however, I think the Autodesk party is by invitation. I own Maya and recieved a user invitation. Perhaps there are other ways to attend?

Many apologies if this information is incorrect.

KatiePez
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Here's the info on Autodesk:

https://autodesk.wingateweb.com/att...event/SGUG08.ww (https://autodesk.wingateweb.com/attendee/event/SGUG08.ww)

Info:

Event name: SIGGRAPH 2008 User Group and Party
Date: Monday, August 11, 2008

Registration 5:00pm - 6:30pm
User Group 6:30pm - 9:00pm
Party 9:00pm - Midnight(open bar until 11)

TriGirl55
07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
As far as I saw, its not by invitation only, you just have to register on that site above. I already did it, so I think Im set!

RaeTracer
07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Too bad, I'll miss the Autodesk meeting since I can only make time for a quick trip this year! But I (and a lot of other registered users) couldn't even get in last year, so there's no way I'm rearranging my travel for that. The Softimage party with Hybrid kicked butt last year - can't wait to see what they've got planned this time!

Leonard
07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Here it is :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=232&t=654066

aglick
07-17-2008, 07:37 PM
We will be releasing a bunch more wristbands for the BOXX 10 Year Anniversary Bash.

Swing by the booth on Monday the 11th and say hi - the chances are good that you'll score a ticket or two.

See you guys there!

-Adam

**EDIT** the party is Tuesday night.

Brian Cassil
07-17-2008, 07:37 PM
updated list with added links where available.

Link (if available)
Sake Barrel opening - Monday 7:30, Wilshire Grand Hotel, no registration needed

Autodesk - Monday 9:00 PM, Shrine Auditorium, open registration, https://autodesk.wingateweb.com/att...event/SGUG08.ww

Luxology - Monday ???, Edison Bar, open registration
http://www.luxology.com/event/2008/SIGGRAPH/index.aspx

SideFX - ?Wednesday?, ????, open registration

Siggraph Reception - Thursday 7:00 PM, Dodger Stadium, full conference pass needed
http://registration.experient-inc.com/ShowSIG081/Default.aspx

Pixar - ?Thursday?, ????, invite only

Boxxtech - ????, ????, invite only

Newtek - ????, ????, ????

PiXeL_MoNKeY
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Swing by the booth on Monday the 11th and say hi - the chances are good that you'll score a ticket or two.That won't be possible Adam, unless you sneak us in during booth prep, since the Exhibit Floor is open Tuesday-Thursday this year.

-Eric

aglick
07-17-2008, 08:24 PM
doh!

come by Tuesday...

jzubiaga
07-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Renderman User Group Meeting
Invite Only
When: Wednesday August 13th, 2008
Where: Wilshire Grand Los Angeles, Pacific Ballroom

chrisWhite
07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
The Luxology meeting is 7:00-9:00PM according to the registration email response.

The Renderman meeting is naturiosely hard to get into isn't it? Does co-setting up a 120 CPU Renderman renderfarm make any difference?

Brian Cassil
07-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Is the renderman user group meeting the same thing as the secret Pixar party that officially doesn't exist?

malducin
07-18-2008, 10:27 PM
So is there another good route to getting to the Blur party for those of us who already got a pass? I've been hearing about the Blur parties for years, but never found a way in last year. Would love to go!

First you must get past the Blur mofo monkey minions and later must mudwrestle Tim Miller. Slippery fella... :-P

jeremybirn
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
It's a shame the BOXX party is the same time as the Softimage Party. :(

-jeremy

aglick
07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
that's what cabs are for yeah?

:)

Titus
07-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Is the renderman user group meeting the same thing as the secret Pixar party that officially doesn't exist?

Not really. Boring as a party but cool as a Pixar customer meeting.

desireeluv1
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
soooo how does one get invited to the BLUR party?????

I'd like to know.

xoxo

mummey
07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Not really. Boring as a party but cool as a Pixar customer meeting.

Quoted for agreement. Its a nice venue to chat with fellow PRMan users, but I doubt it would be interesting to anyone outside of that group.

mummey
07-19-2008, 11:06 PM
soooo how does one get invited to the BLUR party?????

I'd like to know.

xoxo

If you're female, just show up at the front door.

Seriously. That's it.

desireeluv1
07-19-2008, 11:14 PM
wow, ok. I'll let you know if it works out. ha

SynapticGraphics
07-20-2008, 01:57 PM
First you must get past the Blur mofo monkey minions and later must mudwrestle Tim Miller. Slippery fella... :-P

Hrmmm yea... :P

In seriousness though.. anyone got any ideas? Other then registering for it with fake info?

MasterZap
07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
It's a shame the BOXX party is the same time as the Softimage Party. :(

-jeremy

That's not the only collisions...

We have some... stuff... that will collide with ... other stuff. Can't be specific, but Jeremy, I think I have an invitation with your name on it ;) (And Spaceman Chris)

/Z

Brian Cassil
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
updated

Link (if available)

Autodesk - Monday 9:00 PM, Shrine Auditorium, open registration, https://autodesk.wingateweb.com/att...event/SGUG08.ww

Luxology - Monday 7:00 - 9:00 PM, Edison Bar, open registration

Boxxtech - Tuesday 8:00, East 3rd Steakhouse & Lounge, invite only

Renderman - Wednesday ????, Wilshire Grand Pacific Ballroom, open registration

http://registration.experient-inc.c...81/Default.aspx (http://registration.experient-inc.com/ShowSIG081/Default.aspx)

Pixar - ?Thursday?, ????, invite only

Newtek - ????, ????, ????

jeremybirn
07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

For the Chapters Party, without fail they've always had a "SIGGRAPH Local Chapters" Booth in the convention center - not in the expo, just out in the lobby - and if you stopped by when you were coming to get your badge and materials they will give out tickets to the Chapter's Party. I am speaking about previous years, but I expect it'll be the same this year, it's always been that simple.

I'm not sure about the idea that Pixar has events with "open registration", people just cruising for parties might be disappointed by that listing. In previous years I think the Renderman UG meeting was for users, and there wasn't much else unless you were involved in recruiting. There sure is a lot of recruiting (http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/index.html) going on now at Pixar though. :)

-jeremy

BColbourn
07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
whats the definition of a renderman "user"? i mean i've used it at school for stuff, but not in a professional work-type setting.

mindseyegraphics
07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
To me, the RenderMan UG is mostly for shader writers and mostly goes over new functionality ... but if you do write shaders, it's awesome with the "Stupid RenderMan Tricks" being the highlight of the evening ... not really a party, though they do have a nice cheese tray in back.

kdurf08
07-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Here's what I've found:

Registration 5:00pm - 6:30pm; User Group 6:30pm - 9:00pm; Party 9:00pm - Midnight(open bar until 11)

Luxology - Monday ???, Edison Bar, open registration

SIGGRAPH Chapters Party - Monday, Club740 (I'm pretty sure), open registration

http://softimage.com/events/sig08/userEvent/

Siggraph Reception - Thursday 7:00 PM, Dodger Stadium, full conference pass needed which all students get) http://registration.experient-inc.c...81/Default.aspx

Boxxtech - Tuesday, ????, invite only, swing by their booth on Tuesday and they'll probably be giving out tickets/wristbands

Renderman (User Group Meeting) - Wednesday Aug 13th, Wilshire Grand LA, Pacific Ballroom - invite only

Blur - ????, ????, invite only - stop by their booth at SIGGRAPH for tickets,
http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonW...er045_jul3.html

Bonedaddy
07-22-2008, 01:01 AM
There sure is a lot of recruiting (http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/index.html) going on now at Pixar though. :)

Man, I just applied like a week ago for a TD position, and there were no Effects ones open. Now there is, but I have to apply again, for special SIGGRAPH consideration. Dagnabbit!

csmallfield
07-22-2008, 01:44 AM
That's not the only collisions...

We have some... stuff... that will collide with ... other stuff. Can't be specific, but Jeremy, I think I have an invitation with your name on it ;) (And Spaceman Chris)

/Z

sweeeeeeeet!

Titus
07-22-2008, 04:19 AM
whats the definition of a renderman "user"? i mean i've used it at school for stuff, but not in a professional work-type setting.

They usually send an invitation to the people in charge of buying/installing renderman on studios, with instructions on how to register to the event.

blackSTATIK
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Yea i def want to know whats up with this Blur Party. So if i just swing by their booth they will give out tickets??

sandroalberti
07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Luxology is hosting a nice party at the steampunk Edison Bar. Monday 8-10, 7 to 9 pm. Pre-registration at:
www.luxology.com/event/2008/SIGGRAPH/index.aspx (http://www.luxology.com/event/2008/SIGGRAPH/index.aspx)

Tit-for-tat; keep me posted about parties. I love parties, and soirées too.

-Sandro
SIGGRAPH2008 International Committee

Alex Morris
08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
It looks like there is a Gnomon/Pixelogic do on the Tuesday which clashes with SoftImage :(
The link is up on facebook of all places!

sandroalberti
08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry about post #96 being old news. When I posted it I had only read the first page here (didn't realize there were many more pages to read!). Anyway, I'll keep you posted if I hear anything new...

sandroalberti
08-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey Alex. Where are you finding this on Facebook? SIGRAPH Events? Don't see it, although, oh well, I think there are enough parties...

Alex Morris
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
here I think:

http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=25751532236&ref=mf (http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php&eid=25751532236)

chrisWhite
08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
More info here:

http://www.gnomongallery.com/

Doesn't really look like a big event though so much as a gallery that will be open over a couple of days. Is there maybe a big reception at the opening?

BColbourn
08-01-2008, 07:35 PM
oh wonderful, now I know where the gallery is :) been wanting to see one of these "rabbit holes" for a while now.

TriGirl55
08-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh man.....Decisions decisions! Haha. So many parties... :-) Can't wait to see everyone there!

meats
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Sorry, Info taken down, invites are at full capacity.

aglick
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
doh!

Our party is the same night or I would check out the Gnomon Gallery soiree' . That looks way cool.

I'll make it over there at some point during the week to check out the holograms for sure!

Hey Meats - love your new stuff btw!

meats
08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Adam -

Bummer! Bad timing there.
I will have a hologram at Siggraph to see as well if you don't get a chance to get to Hollywood.
And thanks for the compliment!

chloedo
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I'll be at the Softimage, Autodesk and siggraph one.

Would really like to get in the blur one tho....

Grgeon
08-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Is sidefx/ houdini not having a party this year? Or i missed it?

-GC

SpaceRabbit
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Is anyone other then Softimage having parties that are not on Monday? Changing the schedule around this year seems to have really filled the monday slot up.

overcontrast
08-11-2008, 07:08 AM
how can I get invitation to a party? Or do I need to sign up somewhere? I would really like to goto some of them!

Chats
08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
this is kind of late notice but do the parties at night clubs follow the club's dress code? ie. the party at 740 tomorrow night? i'm assuming that one will be pretty strict on shoes/collars etc?

chrisWhite
08-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Good question, I know it's Bren waves for the Luxology party and I never ram into trouble last year but I don't know about the XSI party. I hope of won't be a problem.

SynapticGraphics
08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Has anyone learned what the deal is regarding the supposed Blur party?

I couldn't find or get any info today.. they have no booth and I couldn't determine if they are sharing a booth with someone else and if so which one.

Anyone get their BOXX invites? *got mine*

PartiallyFrozen
08-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Has anyone learned what the deal is regarding the supposed Blur party?

I couldn't find or get any info today.. they have no booth and I couldn't determine if they are sharing a booth with someone else and if so which one.

Anyone get their BOXX invites? *got mine*

It's invite only. So when there search for someone wearing a black Blur shirt and see if you can talk them into giving you a pass. Now if you DO get one. You have to have 2 girls with you as the pass is one guy only if he has two ladies with him....no i am not lieing.

Good luck on the hunt they are going fast!!!

Mark

SynapticGraphics
08-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Ah.. a treasure hunt it is then... :)

Thanks for the info

I got 1 girl lined up.. working on the second.. I hope I don't need them both to be present when getting the tickets.. cause one of them isn't going to be there when I find one of you guys...

Mike RB
08-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Having Vanilla Ice at the XSI 'ice' party was brilliant, not sure what Ron Jeremy was doing there.... Anyone know the girls that jumped up on stage from the crowd? It was fun to see probably compositor chick sgo from crowd members to stage bunnies in about 2 seconds....

Leonard
08-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Check it out guys! :)

http://www.softimage.com/events/Sig08/niceice/

MrPositive
08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
It's invite only. So when there search for someone wearing a black Blur shirt and see if you can talk them into giving you a pass. Now if you DO get one. You have to have 2 girls with you as the pass is one guy only if he has two ladies with him....no i am not lieing.

Good luck on the hunt they are going fast!!!

Mark
I think that is somewhat shallow but great if you are a guy and get in...shrug

Anyways, got to go to the Gnomon hologram party last night and skipped the Softimage. Ok, it was much quieter than Vanilla Ice but extremely impressive on the art side. Meats and Engleman's works were astonishing in the RabbitHoles hologram format (like a new way to digest art in animation style). Aaron Sims regular presentation on his Hulk character was also informative. We all wanted to say hi to Meats but he was bombarded with people the whole time. Hello celebrity status hahaha

Heber
08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
You have to have 2 girls with you as the pass is one guy only if he has two ladies with him..
Mark

wow, that is shallow ...
why would anyone want to go to a party like that? :)

BColbourn
08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
the blur party was fun. their 2 girls 1 guy approach seemed to have paid off, seemed to be a 1:1 ratio by the end of the night. also, a friend told me carmen electra was there; can anyone confirm/deny this?

X..
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
the blur party was fun. their 2 girls 1 guy approach seemed to have paid off, seemed to be a 1:1 ratio by the end of the night. also, a friend told me carmen electra was there; can anyone confirm/deny this?

I heard the DJ say her name but i didn't bother to look. I was too busy drinking and chatting with the ladies :)

balistic
08-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I know this info arrives a little late, but you didn't actually need to bring two girls to get into the Blur party. Each ticket admitted one guy plus two girls, but a single dude would've had no problem getting in as long as he had a ticket.

And yeah, the party was off the hook. Cool to work for a place that knows how to tear a roof off.

MrPositive
08-15-2008, 04:38 AM
I know this info arrives a little late, but you didn't actually need to bring two girls to get into the Blur party. Each ticket admitted one guy plus two girls, but a single dude would've had no problem getting in as long as he had a ticket.

And yeah, the party was off the hook. Cool to work for a place that knows how to tear a roof off.

Lies! Lies!

If so, then your booth guys are evil. :*(

ar2g
08-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Blur's Party was great! It was one of the best I've been to in a long time!

And yes Carmen was there....but I didn't get to drive her home :(

Ant

spankyone
08-15-2008, 06:38 AM
The Softimage party was pretty cool, it was sorta lame but Vanilla Ice came on and rocked the house. Plus Ron Jeremy was pimping up in VIP I also went to the Autodesk party which was good mainly cause of an open bar.

KingMob
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Blur party was amazing as always, just shows how damn cool that place is that they can put out parties like that.

And to the people who thought you had to have 2 girls and a guy with those tickets... to quote Nelson ..."HAW HAW!"

yeah it allowed in 2 girls and a guy, or just a guy, or just a girl, or just 2 girls, or one Shemale and another girl.

yeoj3d
08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Blur party u cud just walk in when i got there. i wasn't gonna go without a pass, but my friend called me & said it worked for him. I showed them my ID and said my friends just went inside. Act like u belong there i guess hehe. security check after i got my wristband & then i was inside. i got there late & missed carmen electra & crystal method, but the party was still really fun. can't complain bout free drinks!

saw Vanilla Ice show at the XSI party, that was a surpise haha. flashback to 91.
the Edison party wasn't that great cuz it was only 2 hours long & we got there 1 hour late so do the math. ya no time to enjoy that one. But luckily Autodesk party started right after that one ended. I went to the convention twice, parties rocked, Siggraph was damn fun this year!

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.