PDA

View Full Version : nCloth-tears and transfering sim to high-rez mesh

merbar
03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi!

I have a clean sim-mesh that tears along (many) predefined edges. Works like a charm and looks pretty nice. I built it the "Brinsmead way" with detach/merge nodes and a weld constraint in between.

However, I am now attempting to transfer the animation to the high-res mesh with pockets, seams, etc. I tried several ways, neither of which followed the formation of the cracks in the simulation. Problem lies in the fact that after a "detach component" on the high-res, the 4 corner vertices are of course all in the same position and there is no way to resolve for which pair needs to follow which edge of the tear, simply resulting in a hyper-stretched, continuous mesh.

I did delete the polyMerge-node from the simulation mesh to maintain the vert count and order.

It seems like this might have come up for a couple of people before? I got one or two more ideas that might perhaps work, neither of which is terribly efficient...
Any input is appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Marcus

merbar
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
btw, I was also trying to just run the sim on the render-mesh, but the seams and extrusions for the pockets just made it go all over the place. Tried to paint in full stiffness around the seams but that didn't help for the extruded parts...

musi
04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Did you try just wrap the render mesh to the sim mesh? (wrap deformer)
I don't know if it will work - just an idea...

merbar
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I tried that, but it doesn't resolve the edge vertices on the tears correctly since they start out in the same place, meaning they actually don't rip but stay together on the wrap.

Well, I actually got the sim to work on the hi rez without making it go nuts by painting in some rigidity around the fancy parts, extrusions, etc. Not the cleanest thing, but it should do. Still wondering though if there could be a nicer workflow to this :)

Thanks for the response though!

Neill
04-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I can advise to use vertices on sim-mesh as bones for render-mesh. All you need is to have UV on your sim-mesh, then put a lot of follicles on mesh. Group follicled into areas, where, for example, 4 follicles will drive one bone (for bone set averange position and orientation of this area). Put smooth skin on render mesh.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.