PDA

View Full Version : 72 DPI vs. Higher DPI

Fishamit
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi
Every time I read a tutorial / article about digital painting in PS, it says to change the DPI from 72 to 300 or so. If I'm not mistaken, it's right under the resolution details when you create a new canvas (pixels per inch or something like it), but when I change it I don't notice any difference in the detail when zooming in... Help?

Thanks

tomt
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
If the units your Photoshop is set to, ie, centimeters, points, inches, mm, or whatever (Anything but pixels), your image size will change. If your default units are set in pixels, changing the resolution, pixels per inch won't change your file size or image size. Your image is going to measure the width and height of the pixel count. This refers to your screen resolution by the way. It doesn't refer to printing resolution.

Most computer screens run 100 pixels per inch more or less. So if your image is 500 pixels by 500 pixels, it will show up 5" by 5" more or less on your monitor. If you change your default to pixcels per inch, it will still show up 5" by 5". Your monitor only knows the actual pixel count for it's display, not inches, centimeters., etc,etc.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.