PDA

View Full Version : Linking a point constraint problem

Daniel Beaudry
05-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, well, it's still me with my questions. Am animating a character for a pitch and I am wondering if this is a known problem to Maya 4.5. Ok here it goes. My character picks up a load of boxes so then I used a point constraint on the parent box and then linked it to the hand of my character. I animated the weight of the constraint so that the boxes would not move till my character picked them up. Everything goes well but sometimes, when I scrub the timeline, the constraint unlinks. I have the play with the timeline to get my constraint back online before I do a playblast.

Anyone ??? :shrug:

vg1
05-10-2003, 07:39 AM
here is a suggestion, actually my buddy FreshRich had the same problem and ended up using the graph editor to bake his animation. Go to graph editor and go to curves > bake channels. Don't know much about it, but if you are done with the animation itself, why not bake it.

Good luck

Daniel Beaudry
05-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Good suggestion, still, I can't believe that's the only way.

michaelcomet
05-10-2003, 02:18 PM
MAke sure you have a constraint to the hand as you have mentioned, but ALSO a constraint to some stationary object, like a locator that never moves called "WORLD" or something like that. Maya will get confused if there is a constraint and all of its attributes are set to 0. When that happens, where is the constraint supposed to go? Maya doesn't know. So it can wig out.

Typically for any "grab" situation you constrain to a stationary object,and then to whatever else and mix the attributes 0-1 and 1-0 to make it work.

Daniel Beaudry
05-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Man! Would not have tought of that :lightbulb (I was a max user so everyting was automatic). You practically have to think everything out for Maya for it to properly work. Well, I will get use to it I guess. Hey michaelcomet, do you work at Blue Sky? If yes, must be nice!

larryvm
05-11-2003, 06:53 PM
you never must the weigth of a constraint is you donīt put this weigth in other constraint.

the best way is made a locator as say michael comet and contraint the object to the constraint and the locator, add an attribute in the object being constraint.

This attribute will driven key the constraint, set the value to 0 in the new attribute an set the weigth of the constrain 1 0 and in the value 1 to 0 and 1

this way you can animate the weigth and set a lock position for the object or even animate it.

michaelcomet
05-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Sorry I didn't notice the edit/q. Yes I do work at Blue Sky in New York now.

Daniel Beaudry
05-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup: This is one image of my pitch (work in progress).

http://www.zen-studios-montreal.com/images/Forums/Bureau_Jean.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.