PDA

View Full Version : Pixar president praises BYU

Matt Leishman
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
"Over the years, Pixar has worked with a lot of different universities around the country and hired people," said Ed Catmull, who is also president of Walt Disney Animation Studios. "One of the interesting things is, all of a sudden, in the last few years, we found that BYU has risen to the top. BYU has an extraordinary program here."

The whole article can be found here (http://byunews.byu.edu/archive08-Mar-animationevent.aspx).

I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all those involved with helping nourish that animation program to be in a place where such success is finally being achieved.

tuna
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
The sample, screenshots and concepts on that page all look fantastic, so congratulations to everyone that worked on it, looks like they did a great job.
I'd love to watch it, but I'm guessing it isn't going to be released online?

Rhs_CG
03-31-2008, 11:38 PM
There is some more information at:

animation.byu.edu (http://animation.byu.edu)

Not sure if/when the shorts will be posted online.

Matt Leishman
04-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't see any information that adds to the contents in the article from that link above. All I see is the main page for BYU's animation program ... was there a more specific link you intended that had specific information about the Ed Catmull visit?

Rhs_CG
04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
There is a page that has more screenshots about Pajama Gladiator (sometimes you have to click the Browse Catagories tab to get the links to show), but it doesn't look like they have posted any clips. The previous poster was looking for the short to view online.

eek
04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
There is a page that has more screenshots about Pajama Gladiator (sometimes you have to click the Browse Catagories tab to get the links to show), but it doesn't look like they have posted any clips. The previous poster was looking for the short to view online.

Come on kids, use your eyes! - theres a link on the main page!

"See a preview of the animation"

http://byunews.byu.edu/releases/archive08/Mar/jump-animationevent-byunews.byu.html

Rhs_CG
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
True that. I meant any 'other' clips.

grundelboy
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Way to go Mormon animators! :-D :thumbsup:

rblitz7
04-02-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd just like to throw in that no matter how good a school is it all comes down to you, and what you put in.

x70
04-02-2008, 01:06 AM
LOL X70!
rblitz7 It also helps that they are all mormon and are there fore the only ones who will go to heaven.
(According to southpark)
Byu is a great for school for animation and from my understanding. A good friend of mine who attended BYU in Brents Department told me Ed Catmull and Brent Adams knew each other from their days back at the university of Utah where they both layed the ground work for and developed allot of the 3D animation software as we know it today. Brent went to become the head of the 3D department and ed joined up with Lucas film to create pixar. They still have a good relationship. Also It is rumored that and students are hand picked from the department to work at pixar.

robcat2075
04-02-2008, 04:12 AM
LOL X70!
Also It is rumored that and students are hand picked from the department to work at pixar.

Unlike the giant robot claws that all other studios use to pick talent.

Matt Leishman
04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
X70,
I worked with Brent as an instructor once upon a lifetime ago (and he was my prof too when I was a student there), and I'm quite sure that he didn't help develop 3d software. He did graduate from UofU, but he is a formally educated and trained architect who afterwards found himself involved in growing byu's fledgling animation (or computer graphics) program. And yes, Pixar does recruit directly from BYU, as it does from many many other schools such as CalArts and Texas A&M (to name only a couple).

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.