PDA

View Full Version : Challenge to the gurus: Texture Projections on deforming characters?

Dreppan
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
I am trying to see if I can have a character rigged (bones and blendshapes) that uses a front and side projection as it's texture. So far, no luck.

I am using a layered shader that is two seperate shaders:

1) A front projection
2) A side projection with an alpha map

I have tried to use 'Parent texture to Selected' to no avail.

While the hardware shading of my character looks like the texture stays on as I deform him, the render shows it actually does not. Is there a way to get Maya to use these two textures for a deformable character?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

sj_bee
03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Try creating a texture reference object for the character.

Have a look in the Maya help for details.

twedzel
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
..or bake out your projections.

modernPrimitive
04-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I know when you do UV mapping there's a checkbox to allow mapping (projection for example) pre or post deformers. Why don't you just use that - do you have to use an actual "runtime" projection. Not sure if there is a similar checkbox for projected textures. Perhaps try rick click (on mesh) --> inputs --> all inputs. If the projection is there you'll be able to middle mouse drag it to before the skincluster deformer so it will be applied before any deformations.

Dreppan
06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Excellent answers -- thanks for all your help!

I am using reference objects to make sure the layered texturing works with the deformations, then I convert them all to one UV map.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.