PDA

View Full Version : Announcing Houdini for Mac beta

Robert Magee
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Side Effects Software is pleased to announce the Houdini for Mac beta program. If you go to the homepage and click on the Leopard in Apple Tree image then you will find the article.

You can also go directly to the article here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1215&Itemid=66

Robert

nuclearfessel
03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. Signed up.

Canadianboy
03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
do you guys even sleep? None stop updates and stuff from you guys its ridiculous! keep it up guys

-Sai-
03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
hum.. great job sesi..

harlan_hill
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
HOLY FLURKING SCHNIT!!! :)

Thanks so much... very exciting news Robert!

ingramworks
03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Great news, was wondering though if this release would be only for Intel Macs running Leopard or if Tiger systems would also be included?

EDIT: Oops, never mind, just filled out the application and saw 10.4 listed in the questions, so I'd assume it's included. :)

Lone Deranger
03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
WOW! Awesome!! :) Arguably the best piece of 3D software becoming available on the best OS in the world! That's a match made in heaven. Many hats off to SideFX for making this happen! :buttrock:

Robert, if you can say outside the realms of the Beta program, will Houdini for the Mac be 64bit?

Robert Magee
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Robert, if you can say outside the realms of the Beta program, will Houdini for the Mac be 64bit?

Generally we won't be talking about features/hardware support outside of the beta but the one thing that I will confirm is that Houdini for the Mac will support 64bit Macs.

Rhs_CG
03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Is there a confirmation that an application/survey was successfully received?

Thanks for the great news!

Lone Deranger
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks Robert. Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

Generally we won't be talking about features/hardware support outside of the beta but the one thing that I will confirm is that Houdini for the Mac will support 64bit Macs.

DizzyJ
03-31-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the great news!

I ran into that problem. I submitted three times, with no confirmation, so I don't know if it went through and I spammed them or I haven't applied.

On the other hand: Yes! I've been tempted by Houdini for a long time, but my PC notebook isn't up to the task.

mummey
03-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Side Effects Software is pleased to announce the Houdini for Mac beta program. If you go to the homepage and click on the Leopard in Apple Tree image then you will find the article.

You can also go directly to the article here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1215&Itemid=66

Robert

Thanks Robert! Now I can quit buggin' ya. :)

Robert Magee
03-31-2008, 10:03 PM

If you don't get a confirmation then please email me at rmagee@sidefx.com. I will check the database and let you know if you are set up. I just did a test and I did get a confirmation. If you did not them maybe it is being filtered somehow.

Robert

ngrava
03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
This is really excellent news! It's really great that more 3D software is coming to the Mac. It's about time! I kind of had a feeling that this was in the works though. ;) I'll probably buy a copy once it's out for Mac just for all those tweaky things that Houdini can do that none of the other programs can. :) I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Gwot
04-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Holy Crap!

Oddgit
04-01-2008, 12:17 AM
This is fantastic news! Soon there will be less and less dual booting for me =D

yay!

hehe nice to see houdini users use Ableton =D

BUZZFX
04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Can someone please tell me why Houdini is better than let's say Maya, Max or Cinema 4D for example? I am sure it is a good 3D application but what IYO makes it stand out from the rest? :)

Per-Anders
04-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Can someone please tell me why Houdini is better than let's say Maya, Max or Cinema 4D for example? I am sure it is a good 3D application but what IYO makes it stand out from the rest? :)

SCOPS and CHOPS, Houdini offers a completely procedural node based workflow combined with one of the best particle systems available. It's immensely configurable and powerful easily beating just about any other software out there on those grounds. "Better" though is hard to quantify, each of those packages you've mentioned is "Better" in specific areas than the others.

harlan_hill
04-01-2008, 12:46 AM
hehe nice to see houdini users use Ableton =D

Yeah, I noticed that too. :)

BUZZFX
04-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks Per, well you know I use Cinema 4D and like it a lot so I don't plan on changing anytime soon but I will keep an eye on Houdini. :)

jiversen
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM

Amongst other things, it's definitely an alternate way of working to the "regular" set of 3d apps who really tread on very much each others ground wrt features and UI approach. Either you like Houdini's workflow and it improves your quality and quantity of your work, or you don't.

Oddgit
04-01-2008, 02:42 AM
There is a user on CGTalk that has a sig that pretty much puts houdini in perspective, <im pretty sure ill get the exact quote wrong but it goes something like this> Houdini is a pipeline in a box, maya is a box you build a pipeline around. Houdini is immensely powerful if you can get past the different way of working, its workflow is a lot different then Maya and XSI, when i go between modo and Houdini i always am slow going for the first 20 minutes because im trying to do something the houdini way in modo or Maya or the Maya or modo way in houdini. That is my biggest complaint, other then that, houdini is POWER =D

ngrava
04-01-2008, 04:26 AM

IMHO > Houdini is to Maya as Shake is to After Effects. Both are very powerful but it can be a very different workflow. Both may seem to be similar for instance, After Effects has a node view but shake is entirely base on that principal. Just like Maya has the Hypergraph/Hypershade but in Houdini, the node view is used to construct your entire scene, Node by node, controlling the end result by controlling the flow of data. Each object can consist of a series of interconnected nodes procedurally controlling the geometry/shaders/lighting/etc. throughout the whole scene. While other applications are just now starting to get into nodal shading graphs, Houdini has been based on a nodal "Scene" graph since the beginning.

My other opinion > I do believe that the nodal workflow is really cool for some things but can really kill your creativity with other things. Sometimes it's just easer to quickly hit a couple keys and slice up a mesh, extrude some polys, bevel some edges and toss it in the oven (whatever). Just like, sometimes it's easer to just through some image sequences on top of one another to see what your comp looks like in aftereffects. ;) Sure there are people who can work just as fast or faster in Houdini as you can in Modo or C4D. But, those people are rare and it can take a long time to get to that level. But it's really, really great for those who have a technical background and love to solve complex problems procedurally.

Well, you asked for opinions and I certainly have enough of them. ;)

kasei
04-01-2008, 06:03 AM
There is a user on CGTalk that has a sig that pretty much puts houdini in perspective, <im pretty sure ill get the exact quote wrong but it goes something like this> Houdini is a pipeline in a box, maya is a box you build a pipeline around. Houdini is immensely powerful if you can get past the different way of working, its workflow is a lot different then Maya and XSI, when i go between modo and Houdini i always am slow going for the first 20 minutes because im trying to do something the houdini way in modo or Maya or the Maya or modo way in houdini. That is my biggest complaint, other then that, houdini is POWER =D

^ QFT. this is a good way to describe it.

I'm one of many recent additions to the mac camp and also one who appreciates a "pipeline in a box" much more than a box. very excited about this.

Oddgit
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
My other opinion > I do believe that the nodal workflow is really cool for some things but can really kill your creativity with other things. Sometimes it's just easer to quickly hit a couple keys and slice up a mesh, extrude some polys, bevel some edges and toss it in the oven (whatever).

That is why Houdini has .fbx and .obj import ;)

I still model a lot of my stuff with the modeler to lightwave mentality, small chunks then build them in the host, it works pretty with modo to Maya or modo to Houdini.

kungfuelmosan
04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Finally! Nice work guys. If only it had an Objective-C API!

uvwvu
04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
My other opinion > I do believe that the nodal workflow is really cool for some things but can really kill your creativity with other things. Sometimes it's just easer to quickly hit a couple keys and slice up a mesh, extrude some polys, bevel some edges and toss it in the oven (whatever). [...] Sure there are people who can work just as fast or faster in Houdini as you can in Modo or C4D. But, those people are rare and it can take a long time to get to that level. But it's really, really great for those who have a technical background and love to solve complex problems procedurally.

If you have not seen Houdini since version 9 came out, perhaps it is worth another look. Everything you say about houdini wearing its node networks on its sleeve is still true. However, you will be amazed by how much you can now accomplish in the viewport these days -- from bread-and-butter modeling and animation tasks to setting up fairly complex effects with particles and fractured objects.

To solve complex problems, especially difficult effects shots, you need to be a good problem solver regardless of you technical skill or package of choice. I don't think you need to have a stronger technical background to use Houdini at that level than Maya, especially now that Houdini lets you set up your effect quickly with drag and drop shelf tools and viewport handles (and no scripting whatsoever).

CoolDuck
04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Hooray! That's great news for the Mac 3D platform.
I'd welcome a Mac version of Houdini very much!

ngrava
04-02-2008, 02:11 AM
That is why Houdini has .fbx and .obj import ;)

I still model a lot of my stuff with the modeler to lightwave mentality, small chunks then build them in the host, it works pretty with modo to Maya or modo to Houdini.

Yeah, I do the exact same thing. Once you get used to the lightwave way of doing things it's pretty hard for me to do it any other way. I held off on Modo for as long as I could but then I finally tried the demo and it was like heaven. :buttrock: Now I even have a hard time going back to LightWave. :banghead:

DoubleSupercool
04-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Most excellent! I just picked up my first Mac (tricked out MBP) and this is a mega bonus :)

leuey
04-02-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm very interested in this. It would be a great companion to modo if you could feed modo .mdd's from Houdini (or FBXs). I dl'd the free version and am really impressed by the built in training - they've obviously put a lot effort into this.

The 'straight-ahead' workflow of modo really words for me (small company, lots of projects but short deadlines - usually a few days to a couple weeks). I think Houdini has a lot to offer in the 'problem solving' area of 3D....and would really complement modo (or some of the more animation limited Apps out there).

Here's a question (if there's a SESI guy around) - will you have a license policy similar to Luxology's were you can install it on the Mac and PC? Most (if not all) of us who are using Mac Pro's have a Boot Camp partition going and there's always instances where you find yourself working on the PC side.

best,

Greg

rendermaniac
04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
One day later and I'd have thought this was an April fool.

Simon

almux
04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
It's a Legend to me... I've signed up, yet can only hope to be a choosen beta tester... wait and see...

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.