PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk 3dsmax 2009 Demo is ready !

seifneo
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mform?siteID=123112&id=10083915

Go Go Go !

Erka2
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
It's Trial, not a demo...

Also, where are videos of new features?

skAt3f0r71f3
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
what new features are there?
is it worth downloading?

harmonic01
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I haven't looked yet, but maybe the documentation will have a list of new features
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11007515&linkID=5604642

Ruramuq
03-31-2008, 07:19 PM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7658360

·Reveal Rendering
·Biped character’s hands behave like feet with regards to the ground plane
·Improved Support for OBJ and FBX
·new spline mapping feature can be used to map tubular and spline-like objects such as mapping a road onto terrain
·.NET Support in the SDK
·A new library of easy-to-use, physically-based materials for mental ray
·Photometric Lighting Enhancements

sforsyth
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow, that has to be the least impressive list of new features I've ever seen in a new release.

Daniel-B
03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Isn't this a bit early? I mean, doesn't the new version of 3ds max usually come out around October?

leuey
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
I see no problem with releasing a product name '...2009' in March of 2008.......

-Greg

skAt3f0r71f3
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
I see no problem with releasing a product name '...2009' in March of 2008.......

-Greg

I'm pretty sure he isn't talking about the name but rather the fact that 2008 just came out and new versions of 3ds max usually come out around October.

The new features list is pretty bare. I doubt that there is going to be a lot of people buying this release.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-31-2008, 08:45 PM
I found this by following the link at the Autodesk store http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=10912859&siteID=123112
Just click on the "FAQ" link at the end of the article to view the differences between 3ds Max 2009 and 3ds Max Design.
They are pretty much the same.
As for the differences between 2008 and 2009, Ruramuq posted the new features.

cresshead
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
of course the majority are on subscription so i/they will be getting it...and autodesk has moved their release dates for products such as max to reflect the start of their tax year
also that viz is being retired and will be replaced by a design version of 3dsmax called 3dsmax2009 design...which has everything 3dsmax2009 but SDK, but also in addition has lighting analysis tools which 3dsmax will not have.

apparently they burned the candles long and hard for this release to hit a 6month timeframe rather than the ususal 12months.

i'll let you know what i think once my install is finished andi've had aplay...wouldn't want to 'pre judge' an applicartion from some text on a website's features list.

erilaz
03-31-2008, 09:06 PM
It's Trial, not a demo...

Um... same thing? :surprised

cresshead
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
looks like someone passed their english exam and want's to put it to good use!

demo, trial...30day limited, all the same to a dumd a** like me!

now PLE 'is' different as ple won't time out....well even that's not right!
maya ple WILL stop working...my maya 4 ple did on my sgi workstation
unlill i turned the clock back!

Spacelord
04-01-2008, 03:11 AM
Video page is up, but no videos yet.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=11007421

swardson
04-01-2008, 04:44 AM
I can't wait until I can start using v.2015 in the year 2012... embrace the future, it is here.. literally :thumbsup:

only playing...

-B

harmonic01
04-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Was anyone actually been able to download the trial? The download just never starts for me. :(

erilaz
04-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Was anyone actually been able to download the trial? The download just never starts for me. :(

The Autodesk server is probably getting hammered right now, so you'll probably have a delay.

yog
04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Managed to download it a few hours back, and I'm still waiting for Autodesk to call April's Fool on it :rolleyes:
I thought Max-9 was a lightweight upgrade, but it is a massive 300 pound gorilla of an upgrade compared to MAX-2009.

The most noticeable difference when opening the program is the viewport widget/cube, which is completely redundant if you are halfway familiar with viewport shortcuts, worse, it takes up a massive amount of real estate for what it does.
The only modelling upgrade is a tweak to the soft falloff adjustment.
Other than that the vast majority of the upgrade is based on a Mental Ray upgrade, which apart from the new render element presets, looks as though the old Arch and Design material presets have been split out and called new materials. Whilst nice on the surface, I wonder at the usefulness of these "new" materials, as most have only a choice of 3 or 4 presets for things like glossiness, rather than letting the user have control.

Not impressed so far.

CompanionCube
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
new feature vids

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11007364

but not working for me, anyone else same problem?

oglu
04-01-2008, 11:06 AM
same here... think the server is down...

ShiroEd
04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
OK. So, first impressions.

Viewcube and Steering wheel are utterly pointless and will never be used by anybody who is even slightly familiar with navigating around Max. The Rewind function is nice though.

Max 2009 is now fully compliant with Windows Vista's AERO interface. I get odd viewport flashes maximising and minimising but no big deal.

Viewport performance in Vista and DX9 is MUCH better than 2008! Dunno why this would be but I'm glad of it. DirectX 10 is still a no go though. BUG-Y!

The Soft Selection 'improvments' were dissapointing to me. Certainly compared to something like XSi or NEX for Maya it feels clunky and a little like an afterthought.

Spline Mapping is handy but gives slightly sub-standard results. There is UV distortion (skewing) along the length of the mapping when mapped over 'lower' poly surfaces. You'll have to try it to know what I mean.

I really like the new Render Frame Buffer Window. They way all the render settings are intergrated is a big time (and screen real estate) saver. The 'reveal' function is a let down as I was expecting a nice analogue of XSi's viewport render region tool. This is really no different to Max's current render region functionality.

Thats all I've played around with so far. Some quite good things actually and some utterly pointless things (Viewcube and SteeringWheels!). I'm looking forward to playing around with the Mental Ray improvments and the new materials.

E

fez
04-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Are there any performance gains with deforming meshes over 2008?

soulburn3d
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
The most noticeable difference when opening the program is the viewport widget/cube, which is completely redundant if you are halfway familiar with viewport shortcuts, worse, it takes up a massive amount of real estate for what it does.

Can it be turned off?

- Neil

ctrl.studio
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
sure. and the size can be tweaked together with other features.

max

soulburn3d
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
sure. and the size can be tweaked together with other features.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

- Neil

PiXeL_MoNKeY
04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
The demonstration videos for both 3ds Max 2009 and 3ds Design 2009 have been fixed.

-Eric

Digitalwerk
04-01-2008, 11:31 PM
for me so far

+ OBJ import improved alot tested it with a 5 mio polygon mesh takes 10 sek to import and max can still handle it (i hope max2008 gets a service pack with this new importer)

+ Unwrap Editor Bugs seems to be fixed

+ So far bug with disappearing Vertexes in viewport doesn´t happen to me

+ Spline mapping

+ feels faster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- less Lights

- more or less optimized for mental ray, if you use Default renderer many options are OFF

- no new modelling features

Well, not really a upgrade option for me. The only main thing is it obj import!

spacefrog
04-02-2008, 07:54 AM
+ OBJ import improved alot tested it with a 5 mio polygon mesh takes 10 sek to import and max can still handle it (i hope max2008 gets a service pack with this new importer)

you are lucky - adesk was lazy as usual and bought into the great freeware pluggy by guruWare - and revamped (stripped down ? ) the interface a bit.
Maybe the even improved it a bit too - but i don't really know-

anyway here's the link for older Max -Versions....

http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

Denovice
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Lets not forget the new Composite material which has been massively improved and should have been like this from the start - it basically behaves like Photoshop layers with all the expected features like blending modes and colour correction. Just a shame you can't view the results in realtime in the viewport (though obviously you can in the render dialogue).

Erka2
04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Just a shame you can't view the results in realtime in the viewport (though obviously you can in the render dialogue).
From the video on adesk's site I thought that you can view composed map in viewport, no?

ShiroEd
04-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I think what Denovice means is that you can't preview the blend modes in the viewport.

A bigger problem with it for me is that the viewport *still* doesn't support the display of multiple UV Map Channels!
If I have a second texture (and layer) with Alpha on Map Channel 2 the viewport displays the texture as if it was mapped to Channel 1.
Really useless for decals etc.
The video example gives a false impression as all the textures in the example share the same UV Channel.

Tsk! Tsk!

alexyork
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
looking at those videos on the site the mental ray improvements are reason enough for me to upgrade. hell, the proxies alone justify the price... also the light analysis tools will be extremely useful for arch-viz use, realtime IES lights in viewport, the new pro materials and loads of irritating things from 2008 have been fixed or added. personally speaking I'm geeking out over this release and i'm not embarassed to admit that!

there will be no bashing from me - this looks like a cracking release!

just a heads-up for anyone about to purchase - adesk seem to be offering discounts for the crossgrade and also discounts for subscriptions for the next week or so. might be a prudent time to get in touch with your distributor(s).

if anyone's going along to the max usergroup meeting in london tonight I'll see you there.

aaraaf
04-02-2008, 02:57 PM
After viewing the videos, I'm really excited to get my hands on this.

I'm in the middle of a project and won't be able to touch it for a week, but even the viewport controls seem useful.

I've been fighting problems in my hands for a while, and going to a tablet for all of my ui functions has helped dramatically (I tend to do a death grip on my mouse), and the only thing I have issue with is my left hand grasping the ctrl and alt buttons for viewport navigation for dear life when I'm cranking. Of course, speed is still a necessity, but being able to switch off might help too!

I really like the idea of the spline mapping. It won't be a hit-the-button-and-you're-done option, but it seems like a much better starting point for certain types of objects.

The lights are going to be a lot of getting used to... I'm just now trying to move over to a MR process, and I haven't been very happy with the mr lights yet (for my specific purposes). I've got atmospheric rendering working really quickly in scanline. I guess it's time to learn some new tricks!

gluppy
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi,

There is available a port of glu3D that works under new 3ds Max 2009.
http://www.3daliens.com

(DEMO and Comercial versions of glu3D v1.3.19 for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the new 3ds Max)

Stefan-Morrell
04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
is that new OBJ import/export the same one Guruware wrote for previous versions?
all the dialogs look the same
http://guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

soulburn3d
04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Lets not forget the new Composite material

Is there actually a new Composite MATERIAL, or a Composite MAP? Or both?

- Neil

Digitalwerk
04-02-2008, 05:08 PM
is that new OBJ import/export the same one Guruware wrote for previous versions?
all the dialogs look the same
http://guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

It seems its pretty much the same importer ^^

ctrl.studio
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Is there actually a new Composite MATERIAL, or a Composite MAP? Or both?

- NeilBy default it's more a Composite Map shader, but nothing prevents you to put on top of each shader slot a 'material_to_shader' node to have plugged directly also materials. I dunno if they are in the final release but there should be also an Utility Bump Combiner and an Utility Displacement Combiner shaders.

max

soulburn3d
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
By default it's more a Composite Map shader, but nothing prevents you to put on top of each shader slot a 'material_to_shader' node to have plugged directly also materials. I dunno if they are in the final release but there should be also an Utility Bump Combiner and an Utility Displacement Combiner shaders.

That's maybe fine if you're using Mentalray, but not if you're using other rendering engines :) Sounds like they rewrote the composite map, but not the material, which is a shame, but I'll be interested in playing with the map and seeing how well it works.

- Neil

PiXeL_MoNKeY
04-02-2008, 07:14 PM
You are correct in that there are no changes to the composite material, AFAIK.

-Eric

Szos
04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
The things I wanna know:

-Does it FINALLY have more material slots? (any answer besides 'Yes' is a freakin joke on AutoDesk's part)

-Is it faster/more stable/more responsive viewport display?

-Is the viewport more 'realistic' in terms of what the rendering will actually look like?

-Any updates to Effects (like glow, rays, etc) which would allow you to see the results while in the viewport?

-Is there FINALLY a way to save the file as an older version of MAX?

(that is only a short list of things that any update of MAX should be REQUIRED to address)

PiXeL_MoNKeY
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Maybe for you, but personally I could care less about pretty much all of those requests.

-Eric

harmonic01
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe for you, but personally I could care less about pretty much all of those requests.

-Eric

You COULD or you COULDN'T? :D heh heh.

I agree, though. I Coudln't care less either, especially in regards to more material slots. Technically, you do have unlimited ammount. It's just you can only display a limited number at once, but you can always tell a slot to display a material of a different object.

spacefrog
04-02-2008, 09:48 PM
-Is there FINALLY a way to save the file as an older version of MAX?

but this request has some valid point ...
and it already got picked up by Ken Pimentel ( Max Prod. Manager ).....

asayan
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Is it faster/more stable/more responsive viewport display?

That is all that interests me from your requests.

Spacelord
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Lets not forget the new Composite material which has been massively improved and should have been like this from the start - it basically behaves like Photoshop layers with all the expected features like blending modes and colour correction. Just a shame you can't view the results in realtime in the viewport (though obviously you can in the render dialogue).

In the Video it shows the texture changing colour as you change the colour correction in the viewport. But I haven't been able to get it to work. I'm not sure what graphic card drivers or Directx version there using to display the changes in realtime.

cheers

Spacelord
04-03-2008, 12:15 AM
So my tests are showing Hair&fur are working with mr_sky and mr_sun !!
This is great news :)

Good work

scrimski
04-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Lets not forget the new Composite material which has been massively improved and should have been like this from the start - it basically behaves like Photoshop layers with all the expected features like blending modes and colour correction.
Looks like one can use 3dsmax as a simple compositing app, with smth like SME or NodeJoe even nodebased.

Grim Beefer
04-03-2008, 06:15 AM
The production shaders (http://download.autodesk.com/us/3dsmax/2009demos/09%20Production%20Shaders.mov) are actually already included in Max 2008 (http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007/10/production-shaders-hidden-treasures-of.html). However, I would imagine that with the 2009 version many of the bugs have been worked out.

CHRiTTeR
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds more like a 2008.5 (R10.5) to me, include the time of release and you realise this even more ;)

depleteD
04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
So my tests are showing Hair&fur are working with mr_sky and mr_sun !!
This is great news :)

Are you trying it with motion blur, with the camera moving and your hair moving?

Max crashes ever single time that I use it.

These new features are weak with the exception of the mental ray render elements. Which I may add is mental images doing.

They should focus on stability.
Max crashes ever single session. No matter what. Every session.

All what 2009 provides is more instability, more lost work and waiting for all your plugins to update.

Thats right, its 2 11 am and Im on a max rage.

alexyork
04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Thats right, its 2 11 am and Im on a max rage.

I can understand people's frustration when their key software package does not perform well for their particular needs, especially when you're forced to use said package to work within an established pipeline, so you aren't in a position to use alternatives. (or if you're on subscription so you want your money's worth).

But the thing to remember is that max has to cater for many different types of users. just because it's unstable with hair/fur doesn't make it a generally unstable package. In fact since 2008 I've noticed far, far fewer crashes in my architectural work with max. Generally I get maybe one or two crashes per day now but with a proper iterative saving routine, autobackups and a quick ctrl+S trigger finger this isn't a problem at all, just a small irritation.

Personally speaking I value features over absolute stability, the latter of which doesn't exist anyway and, as long as we're all continually pushing things forward technically and artistically, it never well. Or we can hope... :)

Ruramuq
04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Max is perfect for Architecture, in fact, max almost never crashes if I'm working on specific tasks, but if I try to create something much more complex than visualization , max would, sooner or later, it will.

But I agree that stability is not a big concern. Max is very stable right now, but I'm disappointed because the core of max is almost the same and because each new release contains fancy new tools, that seems to be more appropriate for architects.

MAX CAD 2010

ReallyCoolNick
04-03-2008, 11:28 AM
In my experience, Max isn't really that unstable. Most of the times Max crashes I've been hoovering over a button for a few seconds thinking "hmm, I shoulden't press this, Max will probably crash..." and then I press and Max crashes.
Not often it just shuts down without me having a clue, or editing something in the bottom of a modifier stack :)

Edit: Just want to add that I'm looking forward to try most of the new features & improvements. I welcome the menu-and lights reorganization.

alexyork
04-03-2008, 11:34 AM
aye, always remember to save an iteration before doing anything major, like changing a material or absolutely anything involving rendering :)

castroman
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
the mental ray proxies is awesome, you shoud try it out. Spread out a whole forest with just a handful of trees.

Also the new mental ray is very nice you can set Interpolate over Num FG Points to 0 and noise filtering to None then you almost get an Maxwell quality to your image. Very nice.

Also you should try out the lighting analysis tool if you use max design, it is very handy.

I forgot to mention that if you came from the 3d studio viz camp you will welcome the hair and fur additon, it makes for great grass.

aaraaf
04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I've had my fair share of Max crashes, but they are sometimes from a couple of plugins that are vital to the work I'm doing but don't get enough love, and more often than not are when Particle Flow is involved.

I looooove particle flow, but before I introduce it to a scene I always save a version without it. It's got some heavy quirks, especially with layers.

Another big Max problem for me has been with Groups and Layers. They don't mix well if you're not careful.

I've learned to work around Max's quirks... not that that's a bad or good thing, but I bet that if you're really pushing things, every program is going to have some quirks.

I've submitted all of these problems to Autodesk.

ctrl.studio
04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
In the Video it shows the texture changing colour as you change the colour correction in the viewport. But I haven't been able to get it to work. I'm not sure what graphic card drivers or Directx version there using to display the changes in realtime.

cheersIt's working quite good here(gf8800). Just some little problems when real world scale is enabled.

max

KLasKAERU
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
When are they gonna do a PLE version ?

It seems they likes people who use a pirated copy of their app ... (i'll stop you there , it's not my case)

I would like to learn how to use the soft , but that's really not possible in 30 days don't you think ?

And what you guys are saying !? , it's not too stable but it's not really important , :eek: ...

Anyway ...

Peace :-).

Spacelord
04-03-2008, 10:58 PM
It's working quite good here(gf8800). Just some little problems when real world scale is enabled.

max

Thanks Max, I'm using a 6600gt,I'll have to look into it to see if its capable of realtime viewport colour correction. BTW I use to your ctrl_colors all the time, brilliant stuff.

charleyc
04-03-2008, 11:39 PM
When are they gonna do a PLE version ?

It seems they likes people who use a pirated copy of their app ... (i'll stop you there , it's not my case)

I would like to learn how to use the soft , but that's really not possible in 30 days don't you think ?

And what you guys are saying !? , it's not too stable but it's not really important , :eek: ...

Anyway ...

Peace :-).

3d is 3d. If you are seriously interested in learning 3d, use Blender or other such cost effective software. If you know 3d and want to learn Max, you will get enough in 30 days to know if you want to buy. I am not opposed to a PLE version, but that is a lame excuse for using pirated software.

btw, 3ds max is not that unstable. I just finished a 3 month project that had characters with hair, cloth and reactor dynamics and had one shot that exceeded 20 million faces and I had a small handful of crashes over the entire course, several at least that were due to script errors or 3rd party renderers not liking what I wanted to give them :)

yahlilli
04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
please can any one tell if the "irradiance particles" and "importon" feature are included in this release?

ctrl.studio
04-04-2008, 04:14 PM
please can any one tell if the "irradiance particles" and "importon" feature are included in this release?nope.

max

PiXeL_MoNKeY
04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Proper steps for Authorizing 3ds Max 2009 for Subscription users can be found here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=617167).

-Eric

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.