PDA

View Full Version : YESTERDAY'S FUTURE Entry: Mike Perusse

mike33
03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

I'm going to try to beat the odds and finish this contest... iPod or no iPod.

I'll be focusing on the Albatross 2000 LGY design with the hope that I may, just possibly get to the Sprite II.
Initial concept Images to be posted tonight if time permits...they do need a fair amount of refinement.

I'd like to request a week extension ...so a contest of 8 weeks that Brian sorta suggested in another post. Reason: Family Issues. An added week could very well make a big difference for me. Thanks.

Good luck all, I look forward to seeing your work and having fun trying to finish this contest.

~Mike

Concept below...

Concept: Press Release:

Gliders Quarterly Magazine March 31, 1948

GQ magazine proudly introduces the Albatross 2000 Luxury Gliding Yacht and Sprite 2 Tug. High flying luxurious glider flights around the world.

The Albatross 2000 LGY will be tugged by the Sprite 2 to the stratosphere for high altitude gliding. The Albatross 2000 LGY comes with highly sensitive wind and temperature instruments to allow for maximum gliding efficiency. All weather instruments will exceed US's best Weather Bureau sensors. The Aircraft will carry a high powered computer, smaller then a phone booth, to help the pilot maximize his flight plan. The weather and thermal wind data will be shown on a "color monitor", not even the US Air Force will have one of these devices at the time of the Albatross 2000 LGY's maiden private flight.

The Albatross 2000 LGY will be capable of carrying a max of 6 adults, along with a pilot and a cook/steward. You will enjoy the comforts of glided flight in either the 1st floor seating area by the galley or the 2nd floor lounge near the sleeping quarters. For your safety the Albatross will have two safety devices: emergency jet thrusters for instant speed increases and a triple parachute incase of structural failure.

Test flights of the Albatross 2000 LGY will be planned from US coast to coast non stop and in both directions. Future test flights across the Pacific, Atlantic, Europe, Africa, and parts of Asia will be a part of the complete flight test program. NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) is considering a derivative of the Albatross 2000 for future gliding flights on Mars!

The Albatross 2000 LGY is built for those who want to fly in the lap of luxury on slow and easy trips across the great continents and oceans of the Earth, and possibly of other Solar System worlds. You're rich, you worked the hard life, now it's time to see the world’s splendors and relax with the guests of your choice from the safety of the Albatross 2000 Luxury Glider Yacht.

The Sprite 2 Tug will be powered by a high altitude jet engine. Unlike the Albatross 2000 LGY, the Sprite II is one highly energetic aircraft. The 2 pilots of this aircraft will need to be highly trained veterans of the worlds Air Forces. The Sprite 2 Tug will follow the flight plan of the Albatross 2000 LGY and be available for tugging the glider back to the stratosphere when ever or where ever the flight plan requires it.

The technological advances for the Albatross 2000 LGY and Sprite II maiden flight are expected within the next 50 years.

The Next issue of Gliders Quarterly will show detailed plans of the interior layout and review what it takes to be a Glider pilot!

Till then, Take it slow and hang on to those thermal updrafts!

Buck Henry Editor, Gliders Quarterly March 31, 1948

End Press Release.

Vizfizz
03-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Welcome aboard Mike. :)

yhloon
03-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Welcome Mike :), and what a nice concept and sketches you have.

I hope more people will join the contest, and lets have fun!

richardjoly
04-01-2008, 03:25 AM
Mike, that is a great concept, very well presented. Welcome aboard!

mike33
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Thank you Brian, Richard and Yhloon for the welcome and comments.

I hope to get to review and comment on everyones concepts shortly.

In the meantime... I have attached a concept for the Sprite II Tug.
Panic concepting in whatever spare time I can grap onto.

I will try to flush out the Albatross tonight... fingers are crossed I can wrap up concepts and layout sketch by the end of the week so I can start modeling ASAP.

Cheers,

Mike

miseka
04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I am hoping to see your models...

Congrats for sketches and welcome...

Here there is level up !

yhloon
04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Mike, That is realy nice, I'm wondering what is the small little thing at the back?

I hope I can come up with the concept like you, but I can't, due to my lousy english :)

I think I need to up my pace a bit, some of you guys has start modelling, and I'm still working on the scene building...

mike33
04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Yhloon,

The small little thing on the back is a somewhat defined "hook" and tow line.

The Theory is the hook will attach to a handle or tow bracket on the
Albatross 2000 LGY [order one today and we'll toss in free leather lounge chairs! :thumbsup: ].

At take off the Sprite II would be hooked to the Albatross. It would tow it to
it's maximum glide altitude. A quick breaking menuever would separate the aircraft.
The Sprite II would retrack the tow cable and fly ahead to the next trip destination, the Albatross would lower its tow bracket and glide to same trip destination. In some instances the Sprite II could mate up with the Albatross in flight and bring it back to Max glide altitude if the thermal lift was lacking.

It's a big team effort for the pilots... the folks on the trip, they get just sit back and enjoy the ride...

...Don't worry about your english... give it your best shot and we can take it from there.

Thanks for the positive comments.... Ergonomics break over...back to the day job.

~Mike

mike33
04-08-2008, 04:59 AM
HI All, a few more rough images to basically wrap up the concept designs.

I have more detail to work out but I'm getting to that stage where I'm thinking I need to start modeling and stop designing. Some details will need to be worked out on the fly or at lunch time...

I attached a side view, better detail of the Albatross, and the wing design.

Late night here on the East Coast...

Cheers, Mike

mike33
04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
A couple more...

Side view of the Sprite II and a final composition thumbnail...
I tried to post them last night but ran right into cgtalk server downtime.

On to modeling...

Cheers,

Mike

richardjoly
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
...I'm getting to that stage where I thinking I need to start modeling and stop designing. Some details will need to be worked out on the fly or at lunch time...

You're right. I'm still stuck with my vehicle design so I model what will be in the background while I learn Silo and study my design... What an inefficient and fun way to work, a bite in the sandwich and two strokes on the sketch...

miseka
04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Mike i like you concept design... Do you post any process model here?

mike33
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Miseka,

It will be a few days before I post some model images.

I need to figure out how I'm going to model what I concepted
and hopefully find the time to get some good momentum.

Cheers,

Mike

DickM
04-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Great sketches Mike. I particularly like the Sprite II Tug. Very very cool stuff. You draw perspective well! :bowdown:

mike33
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks DickM, The sprite was inspired by the A4, F104, F105 fighter designs. I was trying to use some of the mindset of the jet designs of the 50's early 60's. I also was able to see a Marine A4 at an Air show before they were retired. Man O-Man was that pilot having a lot fun flying that jet that day... sure would of been fun sitting in the back seat with a paper bag... anyway, I thought it would be an interesting contrast to the laid back Albatross 2000 LGY.

In regards to this contest: I hit a major time drought the last 2 weeks and a learning curve with Nurbs. I really haven't done much in the way of Nurbs. I've been reviewing Cristo'bals Sentinal Tutorial and comments made by PaulS about the tut. as my modeling philosphy in EIM... which turns into a lot of trial an error on my part....

But I'm keeping my positve spin on this contest - I'm learning, I'm modeling when I can, and I am enjoying the time I'm getting to play... :)

Back to the day job...

~Mike

mike33
04-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Hi All,

It's been a good week of Nurbs based trial an error in EIM.

This model is probably a real scrapper for the pros, but for me... Yeee Haaa...
I'm Making some progress.

Thanks to the 3DNY and Cristobals tuts I'm actually understanding some of this good stuff.
Now it's practise, practise, practise so I can figure out how to do it right.

Any how another late night... got to go. Image attached.

Cheers, MIke

mike33
04-25-2008, 04:57 AM
By the way, I do have some EIM questions, just need to get to the point of asking them the right way. ... goodnight... ~mike

richardjoly
04-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Nice going Mike! I'm happy to see you struggling with EIM because I am struggling with Silo...
I usually use only FormZ but for the kind of shape I'm looking for, Silo is a better tool. If only I could use it more efficiently...

Keep up the good work!

miseka
04-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Congrats mike but the modeler if hard to learn in the start, but the interface is cool...

I m spectacting for more picture of you work...

cheers,

mike33
04-26-2008, 04:57 AM
So here is one pain... Everytime I look at my Profile Skin for the main body of my aircraft It reminds me of my younger days when that great old Aunt with her lips all puckered up coming after me to give a big wet kiss...YUCK!

I'm using Nurb Curves, With 4 cross sections, end tolerance has varied in my experiments along with the number of intermediate xsections.

Anyone have any suggestions on taking the pucker out of my profile... I'm a bit stymied.

Thanks,

Mike

miseka
04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
mike, you can interesed for sphere surface and after surface edit, only push s and x together you can scale in x o s and y scale in y or s and z together, and this form do the shape.

I do it very more times, if i can i start the shape from any type of surface presets... and i edit it.

I hope help you...

Its best less profiles if the shape is armonious, in the pic there is the profiles for the shapes and the edit form from sphere surface.

You can understand me?

If the shape have lines more straigh line forms then need it more profiles...

For you i think that this form with less profiles in the cross-section ( final procedure for profile skin ).

Too, you can a revolve nurbs, one nurbs only and then edit the shape, if you do nurb from profile, for you can curvature continuity in the shape in start and finish then you have to put three clicks in the begining of curve and finish in the curve.

i send this files to you...

mike33
04-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Hi Miseka,

I was able to explore your files and work with your suggestions for a little while tonight.
I clearly have been making things a bit more complicated then they needed to be.

I will do some more work on my model and send it to you later this week for some more feedback, if that is ok.

Thank you very much for your help,

Mike

miseka
04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Its ok always... ;)

I do it with like.

Im waiting your files.

bye

cheers

DickM
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
You know as much as I loved EIM, I only touched the nurbs tools a few times.

mike33
05-09-2008, 04:47 AM
Progressing just the same.

Well I'm trying to stay postive. I've been struggling to get "good" time for working on this project. I also did a rebuild on the model. I used a single nurbs curve, revolved it and edited the surfaces. I Also rebuilt all the wings. I'm understanding birails better, but still don't always understand why a end surface doesn't get capped sometimes.

From a EIM perspective, its been a good play in the sandbox project.

A lot more to accomplish in 3 weeks.... Oh Boy... just not sure how it's going to go.

Umm lets, I did a tweak on the wings the original concept shows them with an downward arc, but when you look at a modern glider it doesn't quite work that way. So for glider flight the wings will be at positve angle. During landing they will drop so that the wheels (to be modeled) in the emergency rocket pods will hit the ground.

With that my wife has knocked on the floor above... so time to leave my sandbox and call it a day.

Cheers,

Mike

mike33
05-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Thanks a million Miseka... your EIM help opened up my eyes a lot...

At some point I do need to talk about this model more with you.

Thanks,

Mike

mike33
05-09-2008, 04:54 AM
In the research images I've reviewed the end of wings are rounded...Any suggestions on how to round wing tips? I was thinking I would need to use Profile SKins for the Vertical/Horizontal Stabilizers and Main wings.

Thanks,

Mike

miseka
05-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi, and thk for replys...;)

Here i send files for you question, i dont know if they are ok for you.

I hope that yes.

See you forum...

pd; i have a files up to 97 kb, i dont put here ?

bye

miseka
05-10-2008, 12:05 PM
i dont put files more that 97, i how up files of more kB?

i send you the file for outlook mike33.

bye

mike33
05-19-2008, 04:07 AM
I continue to move forward but I am stymied by my lack of constant EIM use and understanding the best modeling work flow for an aircraft.

As noted in another thread I am battling the level of detail. My analytical side wants to build an aircraft, the artist side wants to make a free flowing 3d sketch... The engineering approach vs the Fred Gambino approach [Fred had a way of using simple shapes to make some cool aircraft].

I was also having boolean issues, but then I realized I didn't really want to join or subtract
parts and pieces of parts...:hmm: which kind of leads me back to the analytic side of things where I want to model an aircraft that sorta works... so much for my KISS approach.

This right side/left side brain issue has basically been my artistic achilles heal for the last decade. It's kind of like chaos theory and fractals... the more I dig, the deeper I dig the more I find and the deeper I dig. A whole in the ground for a plant turns into a direct route to New Zealand [Hi Peter Jackson] from the Connecticut River Valley of Massachusetts...

anyway... I have to admit I am very happy I haven't gotten to the point where I'm modeling rivets. :)

Cheers...

Mike

PS PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ THE CGTALK ORPHAN WORKS THREAD

mike33
05-28-2008, 04:05 AM
I continue working my model. though much slower... life things happen...

Sent a FACT model to work to do some lunch time lighting studies.

Won't be finished by the 30th but hope to do what I can by then...

A quick image was uploaded from EIAS....

Cheers,

Mike

richardjoly
05-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Don't despair Mike, you're doing great! :thumbsup: Still many hours left.
...And at the last minute, what's one night without sleep? :argh:

mike33
05-28-2008, 05:35 PM
The fun thing about concept work is concepting and letting your imagination fly.
The hard thing about concept work is letting your imagination fly and sitting next to a
coworker who flies a stunt plane in his spare time. He sent me this link:

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-01Fall-2005-Spring-2006/3781B0CA-CE4E-4A9C-954D-FD8108ED21B1/0/spl8.pdf (http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-01Fall-2005-Spring-2006/3781B0CA-CE4E-4A9C-954D-FD8108ED21B1/0/spl8.pdf)

Reality and the rules of physics has a way of making concepts seem rather funny...
I must admit I laughed an awful lot as each aspect of my "glider" was shot down.

Anyway it's been all in good fun and even though I do despair and get frustrated with my reality from time to time I do love doing this stuff.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Rick,

Cheers, Mike

mike33
05-31-2008, 04:48 AM
Howdy All,

Well here's the link to my image:

http://homepage.mac.com/spottedskimmer/.Pictures/Doodles/Albatross-unfini.jpg

It's not done. But I thought I'd post where I was able to get to anyway.

I learned new things with this contest which is what I really hoped for.

Great job everyone else, you have all inspired me to keep trying to get better at using EIAS and EIM.

I end this contest on a very, and unrelated, happy note ...I was finally able to rototill a 13 foot x 30 or so foot garden tonight at our new home... using a rented hydraulic tiller:love:... before it rained. It went smooth as silk with very few rocks... I can't wait to start some planting...

Cheers,

Mike

yhloon
05-31-2008, 08:02 AM
too bad you couldn't finish the challange, I like your design very much, hope you can keep on work on it in future.

and greetings on your setting down in your new house, I hope to yearn a enjoyable lifestyle like you did... :)

miseka
05-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Mike i like much the design, to final you can modeler very good...

See you

AVTPro
06-01-2008, 03:59 AM
Excellent model, like the forms and round on the front apex of the wing. Very well designed and high tech looking. I would have like to see more of a background and maybe slight details or texture. Very functional looking. Great job!!

richardjoly
06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Yes excellent model. I'm glad you posted your final image. We can see you where doing great. Life is life, one can only do so much. Choices have to be make, "you chose well..."
Thanks for your participation! Happy planting!

mike33
06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi all, Thanks for your comments.

I plan to continue making the model. I started the windows Saturday night.

I will start a new thread when I'm ready to show some progress...

Another non related EIAS heads up -when spreading a lot of compost with fresh cow manure in it - wear a long sleeved shirt and gloves... man am I itchy :sad: . The Gnats and Mosquito's had a field day on my knuckles and arms all weekend. ...Hindsight is alway 20/20....

Chat with ya all soon,

Mike

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.