PDA

View Full Version : Create Mudbox SubD Levels via two imported OBJs

mindsample
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Does anybody know if it is possible to create subdivision levels inside Mudbox if I actually have the different levels on my harddrive as .obj files only? Basically I dont have the mudbox scene file, but each level exported individually from ZBRUSH and I want to transfer to Mudbox?

jaydru
04-17-2008, 09:48 PM
i just figured this out, import the lowest level, then subdivide it to the apropreate level for the high rez mesh, then import that as a layer.

mindsample
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi there, thanks for that, which import options do you use when you are on the highest level and use "import as layer" ?

Vertex ID? To be honest I am not completely sure what these mean ...

jaydru
04-19-2008, 04:31 PM
i did this just the other day, i used uv, then i moved the tollerence decimal down one place, think it was .001 and it came out fine, my to obj's did share the same uv's though

mindsample
04-19-2008, 04:34 PM
my meshes have the same UVs aswell.

with the Vertex Option I get really strange messy results, I am using UV now, will take about 10 minutes to load in (10million polygons) but I am curious to see what it ends up with.

Have you changed the DELTA option at all or just left it ticked?

Thanks!

jaydru
04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
i just left that ticked, i got that exploding mesh thing with the vetex id, and with uv defalt it wasnt quite right either, but like i said i lowered the tolerence and it looked fine,
wasn' any where near 10mil though my com struggels at about 4, think it was 1.5 but, if you get messy results try working though a few of the differnt levels from zbrush, good luck.

mindsample
04-19-2008, 04:42 PM
the detail is being transfered and I can clearly see that it is somewhat working, but I get strange results, see attached pic.

Any ideas?
http://www.mindsample.com/images/zbrush2mudbox.jpg
http://www.mindsample.com/images/zbursh2mudbox.jpg

jaydru
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
try importing the sub divisions one at a time, plus the lower levels will import quicker so you can test the setting easyer.

mindsample
04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
It is working by doing it one at a time but also by decreasing the tolerance to something like 0.000001, the higher the level the lower the tolerance.

Thanks for your help, I hope other people will find this useful aswell - not much info about this kind of thing out there!

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.