PDA

View Full Version : 3D Awards Winners

Leonard
05-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Guys,

It's midnight here. We're all going to get some booze - the 3D Awards was INCREDIBLE. We'll have photos and more tomorrow. But here's the winners list:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday 9 May 2003

Winners Announced for the 1st Annual International 3D Awards

Copenhagen, Denmark – The International 3D Awards Committee is pleased to announce the final list of winners for the 1st Annnual International 3D Awards, proudly sponsored by HP, NVIDIA and Alias|Wavefront. The ceremony was held on the evening of Friday 9th May 2003, at Bella Center, Copenhagen, Denmark running in conjunction with the 3D Festival 2003. Winners present received the Digital Hero trophy, hand sculpted by Dan Platt.

Feature Film VFX
The award for Best 3D Visual Effects for a Feature Film honors outstanding visual effects production used in a feature film. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, DreamWorks, USA
- Spider-Man, Sony Pictures Imageworks, USA
- Stuart Little 2, Sony Pictures Imageworks, USA
- Star Wars Episode II, Industrial Light & Magic, USA
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Chamber Sequence, Framestore CFC, UK
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Weta Digital, New Zealand

Winner
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Weta Digital, New Zealand

Television VFX
The award for Best 3D Visual Effects for Television honors outstanding use of 3D visual effects for a television-based production. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- Wild Weather for BBC One, The Moving Picture Company, UK
- Dinotopia (mini-series), Framestore CFC, UK
- The Giant Claw/Land of Giants, Framestore CFC, UK
- The Future is Wild, 422 Ltd, UK

Winner
Dinotopia (mini-series), Framestore CFC, UK
Commercials
The award for Best 3D in a Commercial is for outstanding use of 3D in a television or cinema commercial, fully CG or containing key 3D elements. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- Levi's Stampede, The Mill, UK
- Nintendo, La Maison, France
- Levi's Odyssey, Framestore CFC, UK
- X-Box Mosquito, Framestore CFC, UK
- Carl and Ray: Kung Fu, Tippett Studio, USA
- Murphy's Peanut, The Mill, UK

Winner
Carl and Ray: Kung Fu, Tippett Studio, USA

Music Videos
The award for Best 3D in a Music Video is for outstanding use of 3D (composited with live action or fully animated) in a music video. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- Nature is Ancient (Bjork), Glassworks Post Productions Ltd., UK
- Respire (Mickey 3D), André Bessy, Jerome Combe, Stéphane Hamache, Eric Prebende and Sylvain Tardiveau, France
- Miss Lucifer (Primal Scream), The Moving Picture Company, UK
- Courage, for Cartoon Network, FilmTecknarna Animation AB, Sweden
- Use Yur Imagination, Oddworld Inhabitants, USA

Winner
Nature is Ancient (Bjork), Glassworks Post Productions Ltd., UK

Short Films
The award for Best 3D Short Film honors an outstanding 3D-animated short film with no restrictions on commercial, studio or independent productions. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics, Workmanship & Technical Excellence, Storytelling and Cinematography.

Nominees
- Show & Tell, Kapow Pictures, Australia
- The ChubbChubbs, Sony Pictures Imageworks, USA
- Cane Toad, Andrew Silke and David Clayton, Australia
- Mike’s New Car, Pixar Animation Studios, USA
- Polar Bears ‘Gary’s Fall’, Passion Pictures, UK

Winner
Show & Tell, Kapow Pictures, Australia

Independent Animations
The award for Best Independent 3D Animation honors an outstanding animation or short film produced by independent 3D artists. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics, Workmanship & Technical Excellence, Storytelling and Cinematography.

Nominees:
- Pigly, Philippe Tailliez & Sandrine Auvertin, France
- This Wonderful Life, Liam Kemp, UK
- Eternal Gaze, Sam Chen, USA
- Chain Smoker, Ulf Lundgren, Sweden
- Henry's Garden, Moon Seun and Kevin Geiger, USA

Winner
Eternal Gaze, Sam Chen, USA

Game Cinematics
The award for Best Non-Interactive 3D Game Cinematics honors an outstanding cinematic sequence produced for a game, with no restriction on pre-rendered or in-game-engine sequences. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics, Workmanship & Technical Excellence and Storytelling.

Nominees
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Blizzard Entertainment, USA
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, Lost Boys Studios for Electronic Arts, Canada
- Dead to Rights, Attitude Studio for Namco Hometek, France
- Primal, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe – Cambridge, UK

Winner
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Blizzard Entertainment, USA

Logos and Idents
The award for Best use of 3D in a Logo or Ident honors outstanding use of 3D in a logo or ident. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- The Presentators: Sounds for Nickelodeon UK, Aardman, UK
- Morning Glory 1 for MTV Networks Nordic, FilmTecknarna Animation AB, Sweden
- Teletoon, Guru Animation Studio, Canada
- Big Brother Stings for E4, The Moving Picture Company, UK
- Santa Lights up New York for Radio City Music Hall, Kleiser-Walczak, USA

Winner
The Presentators: Sounds for Nickelodeon UK, Aardman, UK

Technological Innovation Special Award
This award honors the best recent Technological Innovation in the 3D industry. Technologies nominated in this category demonstrate a high degree of technical novelty, quality of commercial and proprietary implementations, novelty and quality of implementations, breadth of applications and impact on recent and current productions.

Nominees
- The Terrain Engine Behind Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, Sony Online Entertainment, USA
- Animanium: An Application for Character Animation with Flexible Inverse Kinematics, The University of Tokyo and Sega Corporation Mirari R&D, Japan
- RealFlow: Fluid Dynamics, Next Limit, Spain
- FaceGen: Statistical based face generation technology, Singular Inversions, USA
- Shave and Haircut: Dynamic hair simulation technology, Joe Alter, USA
- NPR1: Non-photorealistic rendering system, Reyes Infografica, Spain

Winner
Animanium: An Application for Character Animation with Flexible Inverse Kinematics, The University of Tokyo and Sega Corporation Mirari R&D, Japan

Industrial Design
The award for Best 3D Industrial Design honors outstanding use of 3D in a design project. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- Philips MC-i200 Flash product presentation, Annemieke Froger (Philips Design/Communications), Netherlands
- AudiPhone, Gabor Vaszkun, Hungary
- Z1010, Jeanna Kimbré (Sony Ericsson), Sweden
- Philips eXp 431 Flash product presentation, Annemieke Froger (Philips Design/Communications), Netherlands

Winner
Z1010, Jeanna Kimbré (Sony Ericsson), Sweden

Architectural Visualization (Animation)
The award for Best Architectural Visualization (Animation) is for outstanding use of 3D in an animated architectural visualization project. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics, Technical Excellence and Animation.

Nominees
- The Edge, Smoothe Ltd., UK
- My House, Architecture in Motion, UK
- Residential Housing 'Het Volk', AniMotionS, Belgium
- Bristol City Academy, Blink Image Limited, UK

Winner
My House, Architecture in Motion, UK

Architectural Visualization (Still)
The award for Best Architectural Visualization (Still) is for outstanding use of 3D in still image for an architectural visualization project. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- Venezia, Peter Hoffman, Germany
- Vertical Village project - bioclimatic tower, Igor Knezevic (Flare Group), USA
- My house, Architecture in Motion, UK
- Turning Torso, apt. A3, Aaro Designsystem AB, Sweden

Winner
Vertical Village project - bioclimatic tower, Igor Knezevic (Flare Group), USA

Student 3D Animation
The award for Best Student 3D Animation is for a short film produced by an individual or team of students displaying outstanding use of 3D graphics and animation.

Nominees
- Bert, Moonsung Lee, USA
- On the Sunny Side of the Street, Wilhelm Landt (Hochschule für Künste Bremen), Germany
- Dronez, Paul Dreisen, Alexander Hupperich, Manuel Macha, Leif Arne Petersen (German Film School), Germany
- Tim Tom, SUPINFOCOM, France
- Ritterschlag, Sven Martin, Sebastian Frey, Florian Kraft, Stephan Haase, Oliver Bermes, Tim Weimann, Tom Bracht, Denis Behnke, Sven Dreesbach, Volker Willmann, Oliver Finkelde (Institut of Animation, Visual Effects and Digital Postproduction), Germany
- Le Faux Pli, SUPINFOCOM, France

Winner
Tim Tom, SUPINFOCOM, France

3D Art (Still)
The award for Best 3D Art (Still) is for an image of outstanding artistic nature using a 3D application. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- One Last Time, Steven Stahlberg, Malaysia
- Leaving the Fifties, Stephane Belin, France
- Trust, Dany Lyon, Switzerland
- Savage Warrior, Juan Jose Palomo, Spain

Winner
One Last Time, Steven Stahlberg, Malaysia

About the International 3D Awards
The International 3D Awards honors the achievements of companies and individuals in the 3D computer graphic arts industry. Held annually at the 3D Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark, it covers the entire spectrum of the 3D industry from animation and digital effects to gaming, architectural visualization and independent productions. The 3D Awards is a non-profit organisation held by a committee of industry luminaries. www.3dawards.org

About the 3D Festival
3D Festival is the leading European event for 3D computer graphic artists. Comprising of three conferences: 3D Festival Conference, Game Developers World and Architectural Visualization Conference; and the largest exhibition of creative services in Europe, 3D Festival prides itself in its ability to attract the industry's most prominent professionals to participate in the annual event. www.3dfestival.com

leigh
05-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Congrats to all the nominees, and of course, to all the winners! :applause: :applause:

Hope you guys all had a fantastic time :D

Looking forward to seeing some pics... Don't party so hard that your hangover prevents you from posting some for us to see tomorrow, Leonard!

ilasolomon
05-10-2003, 12:02 AM
:beer: :thumbsup: :applause: I wish I was there! Congrats ...
Can'r you feed those who couldn't go to denmark, with more PICTURES & SHOWS? :love:

mwa
05-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Just came back, was so cool!.
Felt almost like the oscars with the food, snacacks and drinks before and then all the great nomines congrats to you all!!!

cutepixie
05-10-2003, 12:34 AM
YAY Congrats to the winners and nomminiees :thumbsup:

izzylong
05-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Alright Steve S.!!! whoohoo!

igor
05-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Hi everybody

Just to say that is incredible honor to be in such company.
I did get the award (architectural still) - but I wish I could've been present in Copenhagen to meet all these fantastic and talented people. THAT'S what makes this art really alive. So much enthusiasm and talent!!

Rock on everybody!!!

(well I guess they did get to see my blurry face on the screen :) Well anyway - it's friday nite here in Los Angeles and I think I'm going to get myself 12-packs in multiplies. Now who's gonna drive me home?

Thanks again.

Igor

PS. I also second desire for more images. Gimme gimme!
as for mine check here: (vertical village in architectural section)

Igor's site - Flare Group (http://www.flaregroup.com)

izzylong
05-10-2003, 04:16 AM
DUDE!

Vertical Kicked holy A$$!!!

That was a cool render man!

Great job and congrats m8!

ceql
05-10-2003, 04:38 AM
Wow!! Congrats to all award winnders!!!! (and nominees too!!!) awesome!! :applause: :applause:

wgreenlee1
05-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Winner
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,
Weta Digital, New Zealand [

YEAH BABY!!!!:airguitar

Maximus Groff
05-10-2003, 08:13 AM
hum.... this is so elitist ....

im only saying that because of this (extracted from the web) :
"The International 3D Awards is the largest independent, global awards for the 3D industry."

independent.... :thumbsdow dont c that...

thought that this awards (student !!!)
were for everyone see what place u can get... globally...

i mean, in 2003 "Bay Raitt" gets #1 and im number #xxx....

so frustrating.... :annoyed:

Im wondering if exists a worldwide 3D Award where everyone
who can participate and gets a place, like im the #53 in the
world - voted by a group (not a person) of the related industry.

just MHO... love all the nominee´s - but thought this was
a competition (and feedback of your work) for everyone...

Leonard
05-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Maximus Groff
hum.... this is so elitist ....

im only saying that because of this (extracted from the web) :
"The International 3D Awards is the largest independent, global awards for the 3D industry."

Haha. My goodness, you so don't get it. :beer:
We're an independent award in that we are a non-profit organisation owned and run by the committee, which is made up of 3D professionals worldwide. i.e., we're not owned by any organisation, event or company. The awards is completely run by industry people.

As for being elitist, isn't that the point of having an awards? We're celebrating the achievements and the best 3D for the year. That's the whole point.

L.

SheepFactory
05-10-2003, 09:02 AM
second place winner is the first loser maximus ;)

the point of having awards is to award the best , not to award #1567'th winner. I dont see the "elitism" in that , if anything it should push everyone to work harder and do better stuff for the next one.

jschleifer
05-10-2003, 11:07 AM
owww... my head....

was out last night 'till.. er.. this morning. :) got a niiice solid hour of sleep, and now I'm getting ready for the flight back.

what a fantastic time! thanks to leo, tito & jimmy for everything!

now if only I could find my voice... It's completely gone! :)

peXel
05-10-2003, 11:13 AM
congrats too all winners and nominees !

hehe i am a nominee for architectur / still :buttrock:
venezia, peter hoffman

thanks a lot !

lildragon
05-10-2003, 12:53 PM
LOL Jason, only a hour? Margit said you could barely speak :p, I actually got 3 :rolleyes: I'll be around to find you before you leave.

-lil

danylyon
05-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Oh.. I was nominated!? *scratches head*:surprised

danylyon
05-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Thank you! :D

(Sorry, I'm a little slow)

halo
05-10-2003, 01:16 PM
nice to see a global spread of awards :)

is there any chance of some links to the winner/nominees work where applicable?

Oktavian
05-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Congrats to all the nomines and winners :thumbsup: .

CGmonkey
05-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Awesome event!!

I can't wait until next year!!

And congrats to all the winners! :)

show
05-10-2003, 01:51 PM
congrats to everyone

schmu_20mol
05-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Congrats to all nominated and winners!

:airguitar

...btw is there a possibility to see all of their work...eg on the cane toad site there's 'only' a trailer but it'd be nice to see the whole short and so on...

stephen2002
05-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Yes, I too would like to take a look at some of these works because the names and titles don't mean much without the visuals to take a look at. I want to drool over the stills/video. :)

circle frame
05-10-2003, 02:30 PM
YAY!!!!!
Z1010, Jeanna Kimbré (Sony Ericsson), Sweden
WON :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

peXel
05-10-2003, 03:09 PM
hm my work is online :)
visit my homepage; the third image is the venice image
have fun

my homepage (http://www.3dluvr.com/pexel)

eiei my name is not hoffman it's hofmann
or may be peXel :rolleyes:

baby
05-10-2003, 03:29 PM
this festival is pretty cool !!!!!
I´ll maybe post some pictures on my website when I come back on sunday or monday...

I´ve some cool ones :))))

Thx to matt, Rob, Jason, Bay & Victor :))) ....and Lil´ of course

Morten_Jensen
05-10-2003, 03:51 PM
I found this link to the winner of the student award:
http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/christel/ :bounce:

Must say....pretty dang cool !

Best regards Morten

BnE
05-10-2003, 04:00 PM
steven Stalhberg RUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES!!!!!!!!!!

Maximus Groff
05-10-2003, 04:04 PM
ok.. guys.. i think i got a little carried away...
sorry for the harsh crit...

;) i guess im too ultra-independent hahahah.. :p

:shrug:

slartibartfass
05-10-2003, 04:09 PM
congratulations to the winners!:applause:
man... i really wish i had been there... hope i can go next year.
btw...very good picture, peXel:airguitar

("had been there" is that correct english???):rolleyes:

NXTB
05-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Yes it is slartibartfass :)

A big congrats to all the nominees and winners!

igor
05-10-2003, 05:08 PM
again.... here's where you can see my vertical village thing - that won architectural still category.

flaregroup.com (http://www.flaregroup.com) (check in arch
section)
So little by little I am looking at other nominees images as they appear.
Man, these all are such great works.

So THANKS Leonard, lil, jason and everybody for organizing all this.
I am really proud :)

Anyway, if anybody'sy coming to L.A. anytime make SURE you stop by.

Amazed,
Igor

JBoskma
05-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Congrats everyone :thumbsup:

chatta
05-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Congratulation to the Blizzard's team who made cinematics of this game. Very good job !!!
:beer:

mimo8
05-10-2003, 06:33 PM
tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom tim tom

dark_lotus
05-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Congrats to all the winners!!

Well, everyone was a winner, but there were those who got a statue for their efforts.

And great Job, cgn, you guys did a great job organising the website, and everything looked pretty cool!

Duffman
05-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Ahhh I'm so envious, I wish I could've been there! :cry:

I mean this is the stuff I live for, I love it! Congrats to all the nominees and winners! :beer:

Milho
05-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Congratulations first!

Wish I could be there, I hate my exams but I swear I'll take part next time! Nothing will stop me then! :buttrock:

Until that we maybe meet at 3dbuzz Park Meeting in London :bounce:

Gilgamesh
05-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Congradulations everyone.
The Oscars are for sissys.

likeart
05-11-2003, 06:19 AM
Grand_Theft_Auto_Vice_City is Great~~~:applause:

Kieguy
05-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks to whoever posted that link to TIM TOM! I'd never seen or heard of it before...just got done watching it. That is SO GREAT!...so different and creative. Love the references to and tone of nostalgic early animation. Soundtrack fits great too. Kinda has a Pixar short film quality to it, but with a quirky twist. :thumbsup:

Anyone have any more info on who made it, and the making of it? Looks like it's a French site...you can say what you will about those wacky French (oh nooo...! :p ), but they're always coming up with amazing art.

Anyway, if you couldn't tell...I highly recommend watching it! CONGRATS TO TIM TOM!!!

Now...where's images/movies of all those other winners and nominees? :) There'll be no hangovers...or sleeping....allowed until the masses wishes are fulfilled!!!! :D

(kidding....)

AVTPro
05-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Just curious to how many of these works are downloadable or viewable on the net?

BeeVee
05-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Proton and I didn't go to bed because we had to leave at five in the morning (ha! Sleep is for show newbies!) but we still left the hotel late because we were in slow motion mode where it takes five minutes to put on each shoe. So we took a cab to the airport and asked the guy to go fast - he drove most of the way at 220 kmh (over 136 mph)! Proton should have got home around 4 AM this morning, but I am somewhat concerned for his safety - he still had a 45-minute drive once he reached San Antonio...

B

Sbe
05-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Congratulations to all the nominees and winners of course.
I just got back from Copenhagen. That was a great event, lots of very
interesting conferences, thanks to the speakers and Leonard.
Anyway, too bad I couldn't get that damn statue in the 3D Art (still) category. Being a nominee gest you so close! :D

But you'll have to count with me next year...;)

Mr.Black
05-11-2003, 12:36 PM
The awards rocked for sure! First getting fed and boozed up and then getting showed the coolest and prettiest art 3D has to effer was just blisfull. Of course everyone awaited the grand finale of the the movie VFX. But I cheered a bit extra when Blizzard won for best cinematic :D!

The awards were very fun to watch and the best winner comment of the evening must have been Jason Schleifers when WETA Digital won the award for best motion picture VFX. Not sure if its a total quote but something like it.

"Man this is so cool. My nipples are getting hard"

See you all next year!!!

baby
05-11-2003, 12:42 PM
can easily apply for the award of the must funny guy of the 3D festival...
He was so fun to listen during Weta conf', and the nipple stuff at the award....mouhahahahaha...

back in Paris...yesterday was big party in copenhaguen...only 2 hours of sleep....ZZZZzzzzz will go for a nap soon...

Mr.Black
05-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Alas my school didn't have enough money for the LOTR conf day. I wanted to go so badly but u know. A poor student cant afford such luxury. Hopefully there will be some Return of the King stuff next time :D:D:D:D!

Etchy
05-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi guys..

Thanx for an amazing festival. It was nice to meet all u guys and get a face on people in there...

Grats to the all winner, and Jason!! are your nippels still hard?? :eek:

Thanx for a fun night in town, I got pretty drunk but was still able to get there the day after.. heh.. (after 1 and a half hour of sleep) i lost the first two sessions on saturday.. :beer:

And also thanx for last night too.. It has been a long time since i went to the Tivoli and it was fun.. I really hope somebody got a picture of Leo and Tito and the rest in the golden tower.. hehehe..:beer:

Is it posible to get any of the pictures you guys took through the night in town..:bounce:

and last... damn it was nice to get some sleep... hehe.. hope to see u guys again

Etchy / Jacob:thumbsup:

parallax
05-11-2003, 05:05 PM
I just got back from kopenhagen yesterday,

great show guys.:thumbsup:

Congrats to the creators of Tim-tom, its one of the greatest shorts i have ever seen.

I was just wondering, was there an afterparty (after the awards that is) somewhere in the city? think i missed it, so i just went to some club and got wasted instead.

Kopenhagen is a very cool city, very laidback.

Elm
05-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi All !

Copenhagen was supercool, especially that little place called CHRISTIANIA, eastwards the centre. Anybody been there? That was the weirdest place I've seen for a long time! :scream: :p :surprised

leif
05-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Hi everybody,

the festival was absolutely great!!!

Maybe somebody could create a list with all urls of the nominated movies..

Tim Tom really rocks!!!

It was really cool to meet all of you guys, hope to see you again next year.
Leif

uucww
05-11-2003, 06:28 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kodinaarian
05-11-2003, 06:50 PM
:wip: :wip: :buttrock: :buttrock: :wip:
that was great, :applause: :applause: great job by every one
:thumbsup: keep it up

baby
05-11-2003, 09:08 PM
here's a short selection of my most memorable meetings at the 3Dfestival...I won't forget this week...
switching to reality mode now...

http://babystudio.free.fr/3dfestival/3d01.htm

Mr.Black
05-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Nice pics baby!

Judging from that one with Jason he is as flexible as The Mask. Nice expression. So like whens the next one...next week..??:bounce: :scream: :beer:

lildragon
05-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Well the entire night is on tape. I handed over the cam to proton to digitize. After we cut it I'll post bits from the evening. T'was alot of fun.

-lil

Etchy
05-11-2003, 10:56 PM
Well Elm..

Ofcause I've been to the Christinia.. Were u there for the drugs or what?? heh...:shame:

I think it the biggest HASH selling place in entire DK.. but at the same time it has a nice relaxed atmosphere..

heh.. Jason has the same facial expression as he did most of the friday night..heh:beer:

hope there will be lost of more pictures from the festival comming up...

Grias
05-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Heh yeah, Christiania is a very nice place. I live in Copenhagen so I've been there quite a few times. But that's most for the great atmosphere and great food :D you should try the Falaffel!

For the winners of 3D awards - Congrats!
I have searched almost the whole internet (ehm.. almost atleast) but I could'nt find the nomined student film wil the man who's makin a BBQ and starts hammering on a slice og meat og something like that. Really loved that animation!

galactor
05-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Paralax: Offcourse there was a big afterparty.

You should know that, it was in the " in " ;)

Elm
05-12-2003, 12:18 AM
That's 'On the Sunny Side of the Street', which will be online on our HP soon.

Javier3D
05-12-2003, 01:26 AM
HEY GUYS! Simply amazing :applause: :applause:

Hey tito, leo and jimmy, thanks for the effort!! Thanks to Tanja as well!! It was so cool!

I pretty liked the expression driven dynamics from Alex Alvarez, Alex thanks for the chat we had!! It was clarifying!

One thing!! Where have you guys had all those parties!!! damnit!! Oh come on, I am spanish! I was wondering to go out but I had nobody to do it and i even jason only slept one hour!!! Where ya been guys!!

GRRRRRRRRR......next year count on me!!!

PS: Someone tell blizzard they won....they even didnt reflect it on their website

MY NIPPLES ARE STILL HARD AS WELL!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

One last thing, my partnerts of Next Limit!! They should had won the technical achievement!! Real Flow rules!

KevinG_ADSK
05-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Congratulations to all the nominees AND Winners -
On behalf of Discreet - we congratulate all of our customers that used Discreet 3ds max to acheive the fine results!!

If you haven't seen "Show and Tell" from KAPOW (Australia)
- check it out! It's great!

If anyone is going to E3 in Los Angeles next week - be sure to drop by the Discreet booth at the CANADA Pavilion - (Discreet Headquarters are in Montreal, Quebec.. hence -the Canada Pavilion)

We're at the lower level in Kentia Hall - #6021

Come by and say hello ...!!

Kevin G. Clark - PR Manager at Discreet

dorjepictures
05-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Bravo to all the winners and all the nominees. Your work show us the path to follow.

Thanks to cgtalk for the feed back.

MarkusM
05-12-2003, 10:39 AM
The International 3D Awards is a fantastic opportunity for us all (professionals and students) to see the best work being produced around the world by our friends and collegues.

Congrats to everyone who was nominted and won. Brilliant work all around. Sorry I wasn't there to drink you all under the table myself. But I had to work on next year's entry.

Cheers, Markus

kid tripod
05-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by halo
nice to see a global spread of awards :)

You must have a good sense of irony.

Mr.Black
05-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Mr Discreet you forgot to mentoin the awesome Cinematic award given to Blizzard. God I love those cinematics *drools*

Jo B.
05-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah, the festival was really a BLAST!
And Copenhagen as well! Like Elm said, Christiania was totally wicked!
Cheap beer and "stuff"... :beer: :surprised: :insane:
It's my sugesstion for all Copenhagen visitors without lots of money. GO THERE! It's a garantee to meet astounding people...
I'd like to thank all of you for the nomination, and the visit and all that. It was so cool to catch up with so many people.

Grreeeetz...

siquier
05-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Nominees
- One Last Time, Steven Stahlberg, Malaysia
- Leaving the Fifties, Stephane Belin, France
- Trust, Dany Lyon, Switzerland
- Savage Warrior, Juan Jose Palomo, Spain

Winner
One Last Time, Steven Stahlberg, Malaysia
The Stahlber´s image is great and I will tell him my congratulations... but I want to send a hug to my friend JJ for their nomination, Savage Warrior is already a classic.

mushroomgod
05-16-2003, 12:16 AM
where can i see an image of "My House" by Architecture in Motion, iv looked on the net but cant find anything

Leonard
05-16-2003, 12:22 AM
http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=1168&page=4

mushroomgod
05-16-2003, 12:24 AM
thanks Leonard, should have seen that :rolleyes:

igor
05-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Hello, are we going to have some comprehensive page up there somewhere ar 3dawards.org or 3dfestival.co with images of all the winners and nominees?

Leonard
05-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by igor
Hello, are we going to have some comprehensive page up there somewhere ar 3dawards.org or 3dfestival.co with images of all the winners and nominees?

Yes. I had to get the show report out the door first. Sorry, I can only do one thing at a time!

Leo

baby
05-16-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm on the last page second pict...

the little guy very far :scream: under the paintig on the wall at the speaker's reception.

but I prefer this one...
http://babystudio.free.fr/3dfestival/3d16.htm

hehehe sorry guyzz, I just want to make U jealous again... :p

jschleifer
05-16-2003, 12:16 PM
hah! :)

met rob for hte first time.. very nice guy! and matt, of course, is fantastic!
-jason

baby
05-16-2003, 02:05 PM
i lied my fav is of course this one Jason !!!!

http://babystudio.free.fr/3dfestival/3d11.htm

;)

jschleifer
05-16-2003, 02:27 PM
LOL!

I didn't realize I had so many teeth.. :) but that's for the comment about my tits.. I've been working on them, ya know. :)

Jo B.
05-16-2003, 03:02 PM
i have another good one...
http://www.soulcage-department.de/images/schleifer.jpg
soulcagers with leonard and jason (deepthroating a bottle... nice)

jschleifer
05-16-2003, 03:34 PM
someone slap me silly, please.

jason-slab
05-16-2003, 04:10 PM
/me slaps jschleifer with the silly fish!

nisus
05-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi all,

Congratulations to all winners and nominees!
(We didn't win, but were nominated in the Architectural Visualisation Animation category)

Had a great time in CPH! ,-)
C u next year!

rgds

nisus

AniMotionS
www.ams.be
3d-award Nominee

KevinG_ADSK
05-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Nisus -
I just checked out your site -- even though you did not win in the Architectural Viz Animation category... your team's work is really great!!

Since I'm with Discreet - (we make 3ds max...) I have to ask.. what 3D animation package you use??

We're seeing a big increase here in the US with Architectural houses using Autodesk VIZ and starting to move to 3ds max when they want extra animation & bipeds (character studio).

Is the case the same there in Europe?

Congratulations on your nomination and excellent work!!

Signal2Noise
05-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Hey KevG! Welcome aboard!

Noticed you're a discreet PR man. Perhaps you can do your 'PR Magic' and head into the 3ds max forum and clear the 'beta testing max 6' (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64650) rumour thread floating around.

Thanks man! And welcome again. The beer is in the fridge and the nuts are all over CgT;)

nisus
05-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi KevG,

Tnx for your kind words about our work ,-)
(Did you find the english version of our site?)

About the software... Don't be surprised: we still use good old 3dsmax3.1 without any commercial plugins for all our projects. (We do have a lot of self-written scripts of course to speed up things)
In our opinion, the tools are not that important as a 500$ pencil won't make better drawings than a 1$ pencil... (blah blah)

I don't think architectural visualisers need much of the biped options. (Yet? we will see). But I understand the move from VIZ to max. Of course VIZ is not going to be updated...

Personally I've never been fond of VIZ because it didn't supply video post and a bunch of other useful tools that max has. (Sub-object animation? right?)
I've never understood the idea of a skimmed/stripped version as the most important tools were not available... (Budget? Not even budget as you pay hard for the missing tools)

Imho the only reason why VIZ was better than max is because VIZ4 had an advanced lighting system, but as max5 has the same there is no use for VIZ4 of course... But can one use it in an advanced workflow? Not yet (IMHO!).

Although not that great in image quality the lighting scripts that I've wrote do compete GI for most jobs as SPEED is very important.
In fact, I don't know ANY GI-renderer that can illuminate a scene in less than 30min with all testing! Scripts will do the job very smoothly... ;-)

There is ONE extremely great tool in VIZ that I would like to see adopted in max of course: applyoffset() !
This remarkable command is extremely important for architectural modelling scripts that it's a big shame it's still not in MAX! I wonder why...

To find out more about architectural visualisation (and my visions), I strongly recommend you visit the forums at cgarchitect.com.
Be sure to say hi as I moderate a few forums up there ,-)

rgds

nisus

KevinG_ADSK
05-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Hello all -

I just had a look at the rumours thread for 3ds max 6 going into BETA ?? It's an impressive wish list and some nice speculations.

Until we have any thing substantial to say... the silver duct tape is firmly over my mouth and wrapped around my fingers.

There was a surplurs of the stuff after the biological warfare scare died down.

As we all know, and must abide by-- Discreet doesn't mention or announce any products "until it's time" ...and I honestly don't know when BETA testing for the 'next big thing' is begining. Only the BETA testers will know, and then, I think they have to sign a confidentiality agreement not to blab.

In the meantime, though, I hope the 3ds max user base is looking at the subscription model and the latest release with Particle Flow.

If you've seen X2 - X-men United, Particle Flow was used (in BETA) on the scene in the Xjet - when they were looking at the holographic projection of the blueprints for the underground dam.

Actually, 3ds max is getting a big up-surge of use for visual effects in film, and architectural firms for Design Visualization.
(a 3ds max artist used 3ds max to create the 3D artwork overlays for next season's Burton Snowboards... it's wicked nice! -- due to be unveiled in July, 2003) I'm working to get pictures, and will share!!

Anyway... we can only provide more information on the next version when we have all the info and data.
When will that be? Stay tuned...

SamChen
07-19-2003, 11:50 AM
For those that didn't make it to Denmark and asked about getting a glimpse of my film "Eternal Gaze"... good news! I finally got my act together .. and with the generosity of Leonard Teo and CGNetworks hosting, the theatrical trailer for "Eternal Gaze" is finally up on my website. :beer:

http://www.eternalgaze.com/coverImage_2_small.jpg

This will be a teaser to an upcoming interview article on CGNetworks.com about the making of this film and also to the Siggraph2003 Electronic Theater where it will be premiering to the CG community in North America for the first time. It's my pleasure to finally have something to share on this most excellent website... as I've been kinda silently browsing for months. Thanks y'all for such excellent threads and posts!

Enjoy!!
Sam Chen
http://www.EternalGaze.com

nisus
07-19-2003, 01:27 PM
wonderful! tnx ,-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.