PDA

View Full Version : Artizen HDR 2.5.31 released

Tlock
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
The latest update of Artizen HDR has now been made available. This update focused on Regional Selection tools making the editing workflow faster and easier. In addition to this, Artizen is now fully Multi Processor SSE2 compliant giving Artizen a performance boost of 20 - 40% on each processor.

For those who have never tried Artizen before, it is a similiar application to Lightroom but without the Image Managment system. It picks up where Lightroom leaves off with not only full RAW support but also extensive HDR functionality at a competitive price of only $45.95 (Canadian) compared to Lightroom's price tag of $299 (US).

www.supportingcomputers.net (http://www.supportingcomputers.net)

Below is a list of the latest updates made in version 2.5.31.

Added Show/Hide option for Regional Selections.
Added Show/Hide option for Regional Selection Handles.
Regional options are now loaded and saved when Artizen is opened and closed.
Regional Selection are now shown outside of the Image area.
User can create/edit Regional Selections outside of the Image area.
Added Double Buffer to Histogram in HDR Tone Mapping window to eliminate flickering when adjust Levels options.
Fixed Rigid Lasso regional tool bug.
User can now adjust and correct coordinate and Radius Regional options while in Filter mode.
Several minor UI updates and fixes.
Full SSE2 support has now been added to Artizen. Only Pentium 4 and Athlon processors with SSE2 are now supported. This update gives a 20 - 40% performance increase on each processor Core.
Would love to hear what ppl have to say who have used it before. Help support a 2D world outside of Adobe.

R10k
04-01-2008, 06:48 AM
I tried the program back when it was last in the news here on Cgtalk, but found the UI to be old and clunky, and the tone mapping options couldn't produce natural results. I really wanted to like it for the price, but it just didn't seem to do anything that well.

...even though I agree with the Adobe sentiment ;)

Tlock
04-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the honesty R10k, the last time it was updated was a while back. But i don't think those statements can be made with the latest version. The most natural results are produced with Display, while Cipher, Lock05, and Lock06 are local tone mapping operators.

Here are few examples to show it can produce very natural results.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2246/2361617498_3f213e5d94.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/2261529723_811f480539.jpg

This example show how you can control the level of realism.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2105335594_2be4b82f3b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2356/1889177514_85d96fc1a5.jpg

R10k
04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
At the time of checking it out HDR imagery was a new thing to me, but I found every other program I used produced better results. Plus, it lacked (if I remember correctly) things like pinning/stretching when overlaying images. Still, your webpage has some nice imagery on it so I'm sure quite a bit better than my efforts are possible, especially for someone that knows how to use the different operators.

The main thing that struck me about Artizen was that it seemed a bit confused about what it was. It tried to be a basic photo editor, but programs like PhotoImpact, Paintshop Pro and even Acdsee make it look like a very poor substitute (programs in a similar price range). It was slow at displaying images, had very basic controls over everything other than tone mapping, and painting tools that were direct out of the early 90s.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense. Artizen looks great at doing some things, but it seemed to lack a little something trying to be both awesome at tone mapping and simply 'budget' at everything else.

EDIT: Nice examples... and thanks for listening to feedback as well.

Tlock
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
One of our main efforts in the last little bit was to better focus ourselves at the same time try to moderize the UI as well. As a result of this, the performance has been greatly improved in every possible area. We went from 11 tone mapping operators, which spread us pretty thin to 4 focused ones allowing us to listen to users on their issues and it reduced confusion.

All this was really thanks to great users who spent their time and effort to do this for us, and in return each update was a reflection of this. We now develop at pretty much break neck speeds, and make sure all updates are free.

Just another comment about UI's, it is a bit of a catch cause Photoshop set the standard for 2D and they haven't really changed it in decades. So one group of ppl say the UI looks old and the other group say it's too different from Photoshop, leaving a tough balance to juggle that you never really win. 3D apps are so much more open to change and modernization of the UI making any companion app look old. I personally love the concepts of Luxology's UI, it's sleek, easy to use and very modern.

sbmongoose
04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
As well as tine mapping, can it create more regular HDR images (say for IBL)? Also, can it convert between image types, eg cross, panoramic, spherical?

Also, does it help to allign .jpg photo's to produce a .HDR?

Then it would be really usefull to me. Much more so than the tone mapping only HDR in Paint Shop Pro 12.

Simon

Tlock
04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Artizen can convert between panoramic and fisheyes both zenith and nadir. It also has alignment options in the x, y and a for all supported file formats which are ARTI, ATX, BMP, DIB, OpenEXR, EMF, GIF, HDR, ICB, ICO, JPG, JFIF, JPE, JPEG, PBM, PCD, PCX, PFM, PGM, PNG, PPM, PSD, PSP, RLE, SGI, TGA, TIF, TIFF, VDA, VST, WBMP, WMF, ARW, CR2, CRW, DCR, KDC, DNG, ERF, MRW, NEF, ORF, PEF, RAF, RAW, and SRF.

So based on your question and the features listed above i think you should at least give it a spin.

Tlock
04-04-2008, 12:49 AM
2.5.32 is now available.

Fixed Rigid Lasso bugs.
Added wireframe during creation of regional tools when outside of image area.
Fixed right click to show menu when in regional selection mode.
Update Digital RAW support.
Updated minor UI bug, Tools alignment, HDR Creation histograms.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2008, 12:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.