PDA

View Full Version : Color Management

CharlesDaley
03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Under Canvas>Color Management I am trying to color manage the central option , the one witht the RGB color disks. THere are some options listed in the drop down menu, a very limited amount of options none of whick is Adobe RGB 1998. The tutorial DVD I am watching has many more options for this central color space and they chose Adobe RGB 1998. How do I get to have this option in my drop down window.

My central option in the color management was blank when I first looked in this area, and in the drop down menu the options read like this:

NTSC Color Space
Generic Internal RGB Profile
Generic Monitor Profile
Internal RGB HKS RGB
Internal RGB sRGB
Internal RGB Fraser (1998)
Internal RGB SMPTE 240M
Internal RGB NTSC (1953)
Internal RGB PAL
Internal RGB SECAM
Internal RGB Barco - D50
Internal RGB Barco - D65
Generic Scanner Profile
-
Get Profile from Disk

These are all my options no more like most other people have been telling me and like the tutorial DVD had as options. I am running Windows Vista.

Why is Adobe RGB 1998 not an option.

tomt
03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I believe if you scroll up on the scroll bar to the right of the entries, Adobe 1998 will be the top entry. At least it is on my computer, Windows Vista home OS.

joeparis
03-31-2008, 08:17 PM
I believe if you scroll up on the scroll bar to the right of the entries, Adobe 1998 will be the top entry.
It's on my desktop Painter but not on my laptop Painter.(???)

tomt
03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Hmmmm.......I wonder if you have to have an Adobe product installed in order to have it show up. Maybe Adobe installs the profile, and Painter picks it up as a system file.

To be honest, I'm way over my head here, so someone who really knows what's what, please butt in.

joeparis
03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
That was my first thought too but I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 on both desktop and laptop. But I'm like you, feeling around in the dark, I don't know colour management at all. I don't even know if it's much of a problem - no offence to Charles, I appreciate it's annoying not knowing the reasons why something is not as expected.

frog
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
For many, many reasons you are actually better off using sRGB when creating digital art in Painter anyway. Especially if you don't know too much about colour management.

Set both Photoshop and Painter to sRGB and it will make your life easier ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.