PDA

View Full Version : D O N U T S

maxon
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Hello :)

Me and my team made a little short film to the Breakpoint 2008 demoparty.
We placed second.
I hope you enjoy :)

And I hope you take into account this is made in two weeks... so... wysiwyg

And it is primarily made to be enjoyed on 12 metres wide fullHD screen with PA-audio and friends and BEER.
(Come to Breakpoint next year ;))

CREW:
maxon | 3D gfx, Anim, Shaders, Lighting, Editing, Postwork
Felor | 3D gfx, Anim, Textures
Zagupi | 3D gfx, Particles
D Fast | Music

Software that was used:
- Autodesk 3ds Max 8 and 2008
- Silo 2
- Adobe After Effects CS3
- Adobe Photoshop CS3

Stay tuned for our Assembly '08 release ;)

We used these previously made 3D-models in this demo:
- The hornet (Felor)
- The cactus-rig (maxon)
- The character head (Felor)
- The donut-dough machine (maxon)
- The cheese (maxon)

Everything else is made from scratch.

Download here: DONUTS (70MB xvid) (ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/breakpoint/2008/animation_video/hbc-00001_donuts.zip)

Or youtube-version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sytreZzOU)

http://users.evtek.fi/%7Emanuj/_Forum_files/Donuts_preview.jpg

Banshax
03-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Thats some intense lighting n rendering, a joy to watch.
Watched your demo reel as well, dang some seriously nice rendering there as well.
The first shot on it rocks. Thanks for posting!

BigRoyNL
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
:bounce:

LOL. This somehow really catched my eye. The screenshots weren't able to give me any idea of what this actually is. I watched it, then when my girlfriend started saying "Ooooooh Donuts, I love those" when suddenly a pink/brown donut started to arise, I noticed I still didn't know what this was all about.

From that moment on... my jaw just dropped and I was like wow. I love the way you deal with the music, the way it's edited to the music. The music is really nice, and is the type of music editing things like this works very well on.

The movie has something experimental in it, but keeps a steady pace at doing what it does. I just can't explain what it does, but it worked for me. It's not a Horror or Comedy, but it did somehow just kept me focusing and looking what'll be next. Was there any way you were consiously trying to keep the audiences focus by doing a certain action? Or did this just happened and worked out very well because of a lucky moment of editing?

I would really give this 4 *s. It's astonishing, beautiful and for a starting animator like me it somehow shows so many of those things you deal with in 3D programs subsconsiously.

At a certain moment the donuts really get into this simulation where it's going into this tube with 4 different colors of donuts. I thought, Ok amateurs..., then you saw it dropping into this yellow car or so, and I was like... Wooow.. Nice! And then those donuts fell on the floor and were like floating and I again was like... hmm bad, bad.. bad. But then this great line showed up: "Simulations are a bitch", or something liked that. Suddenly that whole part, for me, was just really great. I totally understood why you did certain things.. and again the editing here helped out soo much.

But now in the end... after that Jaw-dropping movement.. the wow... and the I like donuts from my girlfriend I love it, but still somehow don't understand what it's all about. But as you can see from my opinion... the story is not even important.

Great!

CriticalSync
03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
I loved it. The only thing I found kind of, out of place, was when the donuts fell on eachother in the barrel. hey bounced and bended only a little bit like they were... rubber, and the collision made them float, I could clearly see a donut floating on top of another.

Other than that, that was some of the best rendering I have seen, I loved the dancing cactus.

Trenox
03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Maxon! Awesome demo and amazing you could accomplish that in such a short amount of time.

I saw your website the other day and was blown away by the very nice rendering and animations. No doubt you will get far in CG.

And thanx for plugging E.T.A. ;)

(Pixar look out for this guy!)

henrikbc
03-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Yay maxon!

Thanks for the plug - we will try our luck with a cgtalk thread aswell once the sound for the film has been entirely remastered and more foley added to it. :)

We love your bitchin' dynamic-donuts, and we'll see about competing with you at the other side of the planet (Finland...)! =D

redbyte
03-31-2008, 03:04 AM
You have such a unique style that I have never seen before. So yes, I loved it.

When I saw the donuts floating across the floor, I was like, "hmmmmmm should have picked that up." and then the SIMULATION IS A BITCH!! came up and I lol'd. Well played ;)

Editing, lighting, modelling, animation, colors, everything! SPOT ON!

You will go far.

homer4lyfe
03-31-2008, 06:11 AM
Thats a neat piece, i enjoyed it.

On the technical side there are a few things I think could be improved. The thing i noticed immediately is that the specularity on the icing was really soft. There wasnt a very noticable difference between the donut and the icing. I think it needed a bit more shine.

On the cactus, some of the secondary motion was a bit jerky on his top half.

And the last thing is concerning the end when the filling is leaking out of the the spinning donut as it twirls off into space. It bugged me because you could see the particles being born as they came out. The little globs just POP into existence. This could probably be solved by simply moving the emitter a little further inside the donut hole. Regardless these are all picky picky crits. But thats what you get for being super masters. Plus I have a special relationship with donuts, so work featuring them must be perfect.

Rock on guys.

Scob
03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Oo !

Man once again , you blow my #%$ away ! ;)

Congrats !

Jerome

RobertoOrtiz
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
POSTED A YOUTUBE MIRROR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sytreZzOU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sytreZzOU)

This short was really good.

Could you tell us a bit more about it?
How long it took?
BTW Plugged!

-R

robodesign
04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
My main critique is: really bad antialiasing or something.

Second, this animation is some kind of a "dynamics/simulation" demo, showing of how objects can be animated. Modelling wise all simple, texturing obvious way too simple... and other than that, if there's public for "gummy", flip-flappy/flops animations with donuts, then it's nice :).

So, you said a team, huh? Phew...

P.S. Congrats :)

Self-Designer
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Wooow, this was extremely silly! and in a good way! I like silly experiments :p

Only critics is the cactus thingy, it was a bit boring... you had to play with it more, bringing it to new places (not necessarily literally, you know...)

Felor
04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Nice to hear people liked our animation so much. :)

And even the frontpage. Or is this just an april fool. :D

For more info about the animation there is HBC-00001_Donuts.nfo file in the zip-file.
You can open it with Notepad or if you have some troubles open it. You can just rename end to .txt .

STANER
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Morjens maxon!

this animation is WAAyyyy.... too long for my opinion! camoon 4,40min:eek: you should make it at least 50%-60% shorter.

but it still OK! animation! not great but OK:thumbsup:

i lke your render style same as usual but very nice:)

i hope im not to harsh on you guys..heh

Blaschke
04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
This is what i call animation.

I found your website few months ago and i was stuned by your skill.
You're the best man!

Canadianboy
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
that put a smile on my face thanks! Loved every second!

BColbourn
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
incredibly strange and surreal maxon, loved every second of it! especially the poke at simulations haha

Brain Trepaning
04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Fun!

The catus pot clips through the leaf at 1:39

DanHibiki
04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
You have really awesome textures and lights set up. Any chance of seeing some tutorials by you guys?

MiGa
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Yummy! Very nice animation! Well done

Carbendi
04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
its very good.
somehow it reminded me the "boring 3d"style :D
http://boring3d.com/daily/07-18-05.jpg

http://boring3d.com/daily/02-18-05.jpg

FrankBerg
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
do nuts

happy april fools day!

fb

maxspider3000
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
that's on of the most beautiful crazy things I have ever watch ....

guys, you are crazy enough to be CG duds ^_^

btw ... thanks a lot for your gift :)

snowkiwi
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Genius. Great reel.

RockstarKate
04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Mmm, donuts :)

2 weeks? Crazy! That's awesome.

Kanga
04-01-2008, 11:58 PM
That just made me hungry:)

Cheerio

DuttyFoot
04-02-2008, 12:14 AM
that was awesome, those donuts look rahter tasty.

anmKevin
04-02-2008, 12:37 AM
DId you notice the cactus crashing through the leaf? Otherwise, looks cool!

Somhairle
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/cgtalk/plugs/donut.jpg

LOL...I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that. VERY masculine!!!

haha

noizFACTORY
04-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I liked the concept. And the editing was cool too. Loved that shot where we pull through a donut helix (just before the simulation shot). :thumbsup:

noouch
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Saw it on the BP livestream and loved it :D

Most delicious CG donuts I've seen to date.

resh
04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
hyvä&härö setti! keep up the hyvä työ

ciclopez
04-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Wooow! I love the colors and materials. The editing is very well done too :)

maxon
04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi everybody and huge thanks for all the comments and the PLUG! :D

I am throughly aware of the fact that _every_ scene had lots of room of improvement both in animation and visual feel. This was more like a challenge on how fast you can shoot out scenes and put together a fully functional short film in a two-week-timeframe.

DanHibiki - Tutorials, you ask? I hope you've tried downloading the provided .zip package on first post that includes two bonus .max-files about lighting, materials and simulation (which is bad simulation, but still)

anmKevin - Yeah, I noticed the cactus-intersecting problem as soon as I made the animation. No time to fix it, had to keep going to finish the dozen other scenes too =P

Thank you very much everybody, I really really hope you had the time to challenge us in the Short Film -competition at the Assembly Summer 2008 Demoparty held in Helsinki, Finland ;) - That would be so kickass! - Our new production made for it is going to be quite more intense than Donuts anyway, considering the 10 times longer production schedule.

Manu Järvinen

Yassine4d
04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
5* for me :)

noouch
04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I really really hope you had the time to challenge us in the Short Film -competition at the Assembly Summer 2008 Demoparty held in Helsinki, Finland ;)
I'd give it a shot, but I'd have to have someone else go there and submit my entry, which I believe is sort of a demoscene faux-pas ;)

DanHibiki
04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
DanHibiki - Tutorials, you ask? I hope you've tried downloading the provided .zip package on first post that includes two bonus .max-files about lighting, materials and simulation (which is bad simulation, but still)

Manu Järvinen
Why didn't you say so?

I thought it was just an extra large version of the video.:thumbsup:

maxon
04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd give it a shot, but I'd have to have someone else go there and submit my entry, which I believe is sort of a demoscene faux-pas ;)

Naah, it's just Assembly, full of gamers anyway.
If you find somebody on Assembly-forums perhaps who would put your entry in and deliver possible prizes to you then it's all fine. I used to work that way long ago.

R-K
04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I didn't comment yet? NICE work guys.. :buttrock:

we'll be in the same school next year I think! Unless you quit and go to work..

GlennimusPrime
04-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Hey fantastic works guys! I'm in awe! Looks so tasty!

I'm very interested in the audio track that is used here.. Credits say D Fast for music, but I cant find anything anywhere about D Fast. Any way I can find some info on the track?

Excellent work.

Cheers,

-Glenn.

maxon
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm very interested in the audio track that is used here.. Credits say D Fast for music, but I cant find anything anywhere about D Fast. Any way I can find some info on the track?

Hello,

D Fast's site:
http://www.f0nk.com/

and here's the track:
D Fast - Sort of a Dreamscape (http://f0nk.com/hop/D%20Fast%20-%20Sort%20of%20a%20Dreamscape.mp3)

Hope this helps,
maxon

GlennimusPrime
04-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Awesome! Thanks very much! I really like D Fast's tunes. Is any of his stuff released or for sale?

maxon
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Awesome! Thanks very much! I really like D Fast's tunes. Is any of his stuff released or for sale?

You're welcome

I think here you can buy some stuff, not sure:
http://www.dfastmusic.net/ (http://www.dfastmusic.net/)

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.