PDA

View Full Version : Quick pipeline questions...

Bugpoo
03-30-2008, 05:35 AM
Messing around with messiah in my free time and had a few quick questions:

1) Is there a way to save fur settings as presets so that when I'm setting up another character I can just click a button and have those settings applied to the selected hair effect?

2) Does anyone still connect to Lightwave using the "host connection" or does everyone use MDDs? If Mdds, does Lightwave handle importing them natively or do I need to use Point Oven?

Thanks for any replies,
Bugpoo

kursad_pileksuz
03-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Bugpoo, Mdd is a native Lightwave format. So yes you do not need point oven.

Parsec3d
03-30-2008, 05:53 AM
ok answering the second one:

yes lw can import Mdd natively, go to

Object-Propieties/Deform/AddDisplacement/MDPlug -- there you add the mdd file

But I would rather use the next one from fly.com:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/MDD_Pointer.html

this one reads the mdd file as a stream so it does not keep the whole thing in memory
just the current frame.. plus it is way more stable... weird thing is that it will be listed
with the same name under the original , so be warned...
o forgot it is freeware... and also comes as a cool node if you are into that...

Bugpoo
03-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks so much for the responses and cool link :thumbsup:

rush123
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
On the first point, currently no, though you can save the material shader on the F5 shelf.
I tend to open another instance of messiah with hair/fur setting and manually copy.

Bugpoo
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Ahhhh...thanks Rush:-) Would be a nice addition to be able to save fur settings and load them quickly on complex fur/hair characters. It would also allow us to create an organized community library.

Here's another one for ya. I change/add a surface to my model in Lightwave and reload into messiah. I then assign a new hair effect to the surface. When I render, the new surface area turns up black :-( That's why I was starting over and wanting to save the fur settings for the different surfaces.

edit: Hmmmm...I wonder if it's the smoothing angle setting on the surface. The fix that Wegg showed us

borisgoreta2000
03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I am using it with host connection to LW. MDD's are nice but can be a pain if you have to synchronize or adjust messiah animation with other things in your LW scene. Host connection works perfectly now except for load items from scene LW command. After you do that you have to copy several lines from original scene to new one and then it works again. Also if you use MDD baking you have to set the name and the path for every object every time you reload the scene in messiah. There is batch save option but again you have to enter the path once.

Wegg
03-31-2008, 11:37 PM
When you create a new surface in lightwave and load that model into Messiah you have to go into the Render tab and apply a material to that surface or it will do strange things. Like turn bright green at rendertime. And sometimes black depending on what your doing with it.

Bugpoo
04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Thank you Borigoreta!

Thank you Wegg...that was the exact problem :-)

I've uploaded an image of a character I've been working on in my spare moments, using messiah:studio 3.0
He's obviously far from done...texture maps, skin shader, horn shader, fur clumping, displacement map, face rig...yada yada yada. But I thought I'd share it in his current state since it's done mostly in messiah and since I usually contribute nothing to the community :shrug:

http://www.bugpoo.com

Modeled in Lightwave
Rigged in messiah:studio 3.0 with Ulven's autorig plugin
Rendered in messiah:studio 3.0

Peace,
The Poo

Wegg
04-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Ooo cool. Glad I was able to help you out! Yeti looks cool.

lanosrep1
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Glad to see you back in Action Shane!! Your work has always been an inspiration ;)
Nothing to the community...huh? :)

Thank you Borigoreta!

Thank you Wegg...that was the exact problem :-)

I've uploaded an image of a character I've been working on in my spare moments, using messiah:studio 3.0
He's obviously far from done...texture maps, skin shader, horn shader, fur clumping, displacement map, face rig...yada yada yada. But I thought I'd share it in his current state since it's done mostly in messiah and since I usually contribute nothing to the community :shrug:

http://www.bugpoo.com (http://www.bugpoo.com/)

Modeled in Lightwave
Rigged in messiah:studio 3.0 with Ulven's autorig plugin
Rendered in messiah:studio 3.0

Peace,
The Poo

lanosrep1
04-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I totally agree that being able to save settings and load then back for the fur is essential to the ..um.. growth.. of the communities use and understanding of the features.. :)

Providing a stripped scenefile could help, but hair settings and Hair shader settings would be a huge bonus as well ( I know you can save the MRM).. but bundled together would be great!

Ahhhh...thanks Rush:-) Would be a nice addition to be able to save fur settings and load them quickly on complex fur/hair characters. It would also allow us to create an organized community library.

Here's another one for ya. I change/add a surface to my model in Lightwave and reload into messiah. I then assign a new hair effect to the surface. When I render, the new surface area turns up black :-( That's why I was starting over and wanting to save the fur settings for the different surfaces.

edit: Hmmmm...I wonder if it's the smoothing angle setting on the surface. The fix that Wegg showed us

Ulven
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
The thing I've found with the hair effect settings though is that they are so dependant on size that it wouldn't make sense to load them onto a different object most of the time. However the various hair materials would definately be cool if we could share a bit.

lanosrep1
04-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Definitely correct about the size dependency thing.. I guess the ol' copy settings from another instance of Messiah works too.. a little clunky.. but works..

As far as the mats though .. could really help :) I have been trying to create longer hair and been having a hard time getting anisotropic and fresnel to give me good results.. These are really important to give you the right shine\specular on long hair.. I realize in order to see these attributes there has to be curves in the hair for them to catch the highlights.. but kind of struggling with it right now.. Anyone have success?

Wondering also what people have found works best for Antialiasing routine and settings.. so far I have not been able to find any one method that provides the cleanest output.. Anybody?.. I suppose those that worked on "Andy's" may have the inside scoop on that...

The thing I've found with the hair effect settings though is that they are so dependant on size that it wouldn't make sense to load them onto a different object most of the time. However the various hair materials would definately be cool if we could share a bit.

Ulven
04-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Regarding the antialiasing, on andy's we set the AA way up. Often scenes were rendered with 12-16 AA. Yaygrr was rendered in a seperate layer, so that rendering him didn't make the rest of the scene take longer (and with only him in a layer, the AA didn't take too long.)

lanosrep1
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks Ulven.. that really good to know :)

Regarding the antialiasing, on andy's we set the AA way up. Often scenes were rendered with 12-16 AA. Yaygrr was rendered in a seperate layer, so that rendering him didn't make the rest of the scene take longer (and with only him in a layer, the AA didn't take too long.)

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.