PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm & Hues opens new facility in India

RobertoOrtiz
03-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Culver City-based vfx shop Rhythm & Hues, which won the 2008 Oscar as the lead effects shop on "The Golden Compass," has opened a facility in Hyderabad, India.
link (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117983032.html?categoryId=19&cs=1)

DJ-Nicke
03-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah, this seems to be a trend lately. Wasn't half of "I am Legend" done by Sony India? I was a Demo Artist on the Autodesk M3 tour in Asia/Pacific and the guys who did India said they were treated like rock stars, and it was standing room only.

Like it or not, India is and will continue to be a big contender in our industry. I think it's a good thing, they just need to bring their prices up so the rest of us don't look so greedy... ;)

freesoul
03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Ya, now India has 2 facilities of R&H, one in Mumbai and now in Hyderabad.
Also Disney is planning to setup a base in India too (or so i have heard) .. but they have already invested with YRF (Yash raj films) and are coming up with a movie this summer "Roadside Romeo" with Tata Elxsi VCL doing the CG part. And being an Indian myself, and being a student of the the same line, I am really looking forward to it. :)

EDITED

Stevemoh
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
"The main reason why foreign entertainment firms are flocking to India is the cost advantage the country offers. For instance, in the US, animators can cost about $125 an hour; in India, they cost $25 an hour."

http://work2india.com/work2indiablog/?p=79

So when you say thats a good thing you mean you like working for $25 an hour.

Yeah, this seems to be a trend lately. Wasn't half of "I am Legend" done by Sony India? I was a Demo Artist on the Autodesk M3 tour in Asia/Pacific and the guys who did India said they were treated like rock stars, and it was standing room only.

Like it or not, India is and will continue to be a big contender in our industry. I think it's a good thing, they just need to bring their prices up so the rest of us don't look so greedy... ;)

whalerider
03-31-2008, 04:35 PM
$125/hr? That's more than $250K per year.
Who earns that much in the U.S.?

daveenedy
03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
So when you say thats a good thing you mean you like working for $25 an hour.

I'm not sure where they get that information from, but I really dont think studios are paying $25 an hour in India. I would love for someone to show proof of this.

Anyone from India that can confirm this?

SanjayChand
03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Those numbers seem way off.

Most, id say 99.99% of CG artists in general do not make $125 an hour. And $25 per hour in India seems kind of high.

hakanpersson
03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, theres a great difference between payment per hour, and cost per hour?
Add insurances, computers etc, and you can triple your salary before you get the number your employer pays for you per hour.

Stevemoh
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Hourly rate is just that. Were not talking salary. Use your own conversion. If you charge $50 an hour then their charging $12.

Those numbers seem way off.

Most, id say 99.99% of CG artists in general do not make $125 an hour. And $25 per hour in India seems kind of high.

P_T
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Hourly rate is just that. Were not talking salary. Use your own conversion. If you charge $50 an hour then their charging $12.Yeah but things that cost $10 in the US might only cost $2 in India so it's all relative.

Stevemoh
03-31-2008, 05:31 PM
I think the point is being lost. If your comfortable with loosing your job because they can get
it cheaper somewhere else be my guest. I have several emails from people in india who will work for $8.00. Should I take them up on that? Nope! Not a chance. I would rather find someone locally. I wouldn't underestimate what the trickle down is on this. Thats all.

Yeah but things that cost $10 in the US might only cost $2 in India so it's all relative.

P_T
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah well, what can you do? the way FX houses trying to outbid the competition with shorter deadline, more shots delivered AND smaller budget. They can only do that with local talents up to a point before they have to start outsourcing, or in this case, building facilities in cheaper developing countries.

fattyLees
03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Wasn't half of "I am Legend" done by Sony India?

No. I think your source is mistaken.

abishek
04-01-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm not sure where they get that information from, but I really dont think studios are paying $25 an hour in India. I would love for someone to show proof of this.

Anyone from India that can confirm this?

Well, I used to work in India and I can say for sure....that is not true. A senior artist\Supervisor might get around $15 an hour at the best...and this includes evrything.

Wasn't half of "I am Legend" done by Sony India?

If cleanups are considered as "half the work" LOL sometimes they are....haha

whalerider
04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
I think that's because the studios want more and better work for less time and money every time the f/x shops pull it off. That's why some f/x shops are focusing on making their own (animated) features.

Yeah well, what can you do? the way FX houses trying to outbid the competition with shorter deadline, more shots delivered AND smaller budget. They can only do that with local talents up to a point before they have to start outsourcing, or in this case, building facilities in cheaper developing countries.

playmesumch00ns
04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd give us maybe 5-10 years. All cel animation is done in the far east now. Why should 3d animation be any different?

Stevemoh
04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Thats thinking positive. Well it seems like the ArcVis is heading that way for sure. Wait until that first batch of animation containing lead. Then we will see a backlash.

Ilive
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Like it or not, India is and will continue to be a big contender in our industry. I think it's a good thing, they just need to bring their prices up so the rest of us don't look so greedy...

It relative to where you live. I mean the average house in LA is $400,000. In Hydrabad probably 100,000 or less. I was looking at high end rent and was getting 30,000 rupees-50,000 rupees for a 3 bedrom in a nice area of town with marble floors.

That equates to roughly 750-850 USD. If they made 250 USD an hour could you imagine? You can knock out your rent in 3 days in the fanciest part of town.

It balances out in the cost of living.
Someone in California needs to make a lot of money in comparison to pay for California cost of living.
The execs at the top of the food chain want to make that California living money so to make more profit and keep to themselves of course they are going to go to India.

I think this a time that people need to start making their own living and combining forces. Not just working for someone but doing like a lot of small productions houses are doing now. Creating their own content.

You can't rely on Hollywood forever for jobs, cause as soon as the bean counters find out they will outsource you. Outsourcing is here to stay. But don't worry the US and UK are becoming 3rd world countries and soon India and China will outsource back to the US and UK.

rakmaya
04-01-2008, 11:17 PM
But don't worry the US and UK are becoming 3rd world countries and soon India and China will outsource back to the US and UK.

lol. But I have to admit it is quite getting to be true in some other areas. For example 5 years ago every software engineer in Bangalore wanted to come to US. Now it is the other way around. Most people don't want to come to US if it is just for job since they enjoy the environment over there. Now if you want to get somethings done from India, you better have a division over there. There was an article in a finance magazine about this delema for companies like Oracle, Sony and most companies in Investment banking where software people just don't want to come to US.

Elmarq
04-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I think this a time that people need to start making their own living and combining forces...

QFT....!!!

andy_maxman
04-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Also Disney is planning to setup a base in India too (or so i have heard) .. but they have already invested with YRF (Yash raj films) and are coming up with a movie this summer "Roadside Romeo" with disney people doing all the work.

Dude, don't know where you got that fact from that Disney is doing all the work. Every pixel of the CG production is happening in Tata Elxsi VCL, Mumbai.

abishek
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Dude, don't know where you got that fact from that Disney is doing all the work. Every pixel of the CG production is happening in Tata Elxsi VCL, Mumbai.

andy_maxman - There are lots of rumours about animation productions etc done in India, a lot of them are myths...I was quite surprised to hear that disney was doing the "roadside romeo" film LOL cos as far as I had heard it was VCL...but things are so unclear and the lack of proper communication give a lot of room for myths. I remember once during a press interview someone asked me on my thoughts about the animation industry in India...as I was talking, one of the guys said "Arent you proud that bits of Shrek (the first) was done in India"!!
I wonder where people get this info from...

Btw...are u the same andy from paprikaas?

andy_maxman
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey! Abishek, yes, I did work in Paprikaas, but that was some 5 years ago.

playmesumch00ns
04-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Thats thinking positive. Well it seems like the ArcVis is heading that way for sure. Wait until that first batch of animation containing lead. Then we will see a backlash.

It's not about positive or negative thinking, it's just the way it is. What makes you think you're so special that someone, somewhere else couldn't do your job to the same standard at a more competitive rate?

P_T
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
It's not about positive or negative thinking, it's just the way it is. What makes you think you're so special that someone, somewhere else couldn't do your job to the same standard at a more competitive rate?Indeed, welcome to capitalism, free market, etc etc. Don't get upset when others caught up to your game. Remember, cheaper doesn't always mean substandard quality, or perhaps it's the good quality that some people are scared of.

freesoul
04-02-2008, 04:06 PM

i am sorry..i think i got confused somewhere (maybe coz of rumours) .. You are rite its is being done by Tata Elxsi VCL..All the best to them :)

Szos
04-02-2008, 06:22 PM
There should be a minimum of a 25% tariff on any work done in countries like India to help level the playing field for US taxpayers.

You are never going to completely cut out outsourcing - nor should you have to - but there is fair trade, which is good for the global economy, and then there is US workers getting raped by money-grubbing corporations that want to outsource anything and everything just so their executives can make even more profits.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.