PDA

View Full Version : LW Textures in XSI

Ethangar
03-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I've been using LW for a long time. I want to convert some meshes to XSI. The problem that I'm running into is with the color maps. In LW I always use at least

Color
diffuse
spec
gloss
bump.

They are all pretty self explainitory in XSI. The problem that I'm running into is with the color maps. I know that in XSI color is diffuse. But then what do you do with the diffuse maps? Do you combine them in PS before applying them? Am I missing a node somewhere to use them? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I tried searching but it appears to have been disabled.

JDex
03-30-2008, 09:52 AM
What does a diffuse map achieve in LW? I mean what is the difference between it and a color map from your (LW's) perspective?

bravmm
03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
can you maybe post some example of the textures and render (part of) the model used for all this?

rob

comanche
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the diffuse map should be multipied (weighted) with the color and specular (and eventually gloss) maps. Regards,
Andreas

Ethangar
03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
What does a diffuse map achieve in LW? I mean what is the difference between it and a color map from your (LW's) perspective?

In LW. I could paint the color maps as pure colors with no wear on them etc. Say an area that is pure red. With diffuse set to 100% it will render the pure red color. But if I make a pure black image and put that in the diffuse for the surface it will render black since I've told it to not give off any reflected light. But by changing the opacity of the black map I can interactively change the brightness of the color map. Its a simple example of what it does. Another example would be to bake out a occlusion map and put that in diffusion to darken down the nocks and crannies. Since its in a layer I can control how much it darkens those areas by raising or lowering the opacity of the occ map.

-Nova-
03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Try plugging a mix 2 colors into the material, then plug your color map in the mix 2 colours nodes base color, then map then diffuse map in the mix 2 colors weight.

Don't know if thats what you want?

comanche
03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
... With diffuse set to 100% it will render the pure red color. But if I make a pure black image and put that in the diffuse for the surface it will render black since I've told it to not give off any reflected light. But by changing the opacity of the black map I can interactively change the brightness of the color map...

Therefor multiply the diffuse map with the color map as mentioned before. Use a Mix2Colors node (like Nove said) or simply add a new texture layer ...

nemac4
03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Lightwave's diffuse is most like xsi's ambient setting (under diffuse settings) while xsi's diffuse is like lightwave's color setting.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.