PDA

View Full Version : Colouring AI file

davidhonk
03-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi there.

I'm new to CP so please bear with me. I usually colour line art by opening up a scan, cleaning it up in Photoshop and bringing it into Painter. I then set the line art layer to multiply and colour on the layers beneath. Is it possible to do the same to an AI file? When I try setting an AI layer to multiply or gel in painter the whole thing goes black. The only reason I'm trying to use AI files is because I love the smooth vector shape it gives black line art. Basically, what's the best way to colour line art without having to tediously trace over it first!

Please help. Thanks in advance

Honk

tomt
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
An .ai file is presumable already in layers if it hasn't been rasterized and dropped to the canvas or work area. There isn't much you need to do in Photoshop.

You can bring an .ai file into Painter if you save it as a legacy Illustrator 3 file. To bring in an Illustrator file, go to your Painter file menu, File>Acquire>Adobe Illustrator file. All your Illustrator vector objects become Shapes in Painter. They remain editable using the Shape menu's editing functions and the Shape selections tools.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.