PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Director 11 trial released

bluecanvas
03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Third link under product box. Requires registration.

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/

Don't see much change to 3D side. New commands for Ageia PhysX. And the 3D obviously runs nice and fast on today's GFX cards. Quality wise it looks like standard DX9/OpenGL so far. Don't see any fancy new shader options. I haven't spent much time with it yet however.

Director IDE feels better than the old one. More organized.

AJE
03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
I thought Director was dead ages ago.

Can you tell me the benefits to working with it over Flash? I have had some experience with Director, and avoided Flash, so I honestly don't know which one to go with if I were to start learning one right now.

rgwarren
03-29-2008, 11:56 PM
I've worked with both and the ability to do 3D is the major feature that Director still offers over Flash. With the release of Adobe AIR if you're not interested in the 3D engine in Director you would be much better suited with a Flex/Flash/AIR combination.

Well, maybe not Flex depending on your needs. The U/I and feature set of Flash is more up to date and can do everything I've needed thus far.

AJE
03-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Cool. Thanks rgw :)

bluecanvas
03-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Director has a 3D game engine with PhysX physics that can run in a web browser and uses a compressed scene file format with streaming.

Pretty much any type of 3D game can be authored with it.

In a friendlier programming language than C++.

Flash movies can be an element in the game. Used for things like UIs, menus and other 2D element.

So can video in various formats.

AJE
03-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Director has a 3D game engine with PhysX physics that can run in a web browser and uses a compressed scene file format with streaming.

Pretty much any type of 3D game can be authored with it.

In a friendlier programming language than C++.

Flash movies can be an element in the game. Used for things like UIs, menus and other 2D element.

So can video in various formats.

So if I were looking to make an interactive CD/DVD ROM, and on it would be a 3D game, then this would be my choice.

If I were looking to do more web-related content (or a quick executable presentation of sorts), Flash is still the one to beat.

Both make .exe files right? And those can be burned to a CD/DVD for playback on any machine, right?

erilaz
03-30-2008, 03:07 AM
The only problem is the 3D sucks as bad as it did in version 8.5.
Sure, it has Directx 9.0 support now, but that doesn't mean the engine does anything useful with it.
The only reason they have Ageia now is because they no longer have Havok.

Overall, it's just a patch release to bring the product in line with Adobe's CS3 range. The one thing I do like about it is it seems to have kept all it's backwards compatibility with earlier versions and Xtras.

The flash integration is also a waste of time. Although it claims to be in line with Flash CS3, it doesn't support Actionscript 3.0, which makes it a fairly useless feature.

Apparently they will actually start to make the 3D and other requested features plausible in version 12 or 13.

For first-timers to the product it may actually be okay. But for longtime users this "upgrade" is a slap in the face after 4 years of waiting for even simple features like unicode.

maxplugins
03-30-2008, 10:37 AM
For first-timers to the product it may actually be okay. But for longtime users this "upgrade" is a slap in the face after 4 years of waiting for even simple features like unicode.

Yup, you're right, it's a slap in the face... BUT I'm glad they've bothered updating it at all. I thought it was dead, and after Max and AfterFX it's the most used program I own.

The only advantage the long wait had was that it forced me to learn Flash. But doing CD and DVD presentations / applications with Director is just much much easier. I got a bit tired of jumping through all of the Flash hoops if I wanted to do anything outside of the sandbox.

Now I'm looking forward to the (hopefully not so) long wait for Director 12...

Dave

erilaz
03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Yup, you're right, it's a slap in the face... BUT I'm glad they've bothered updating it at all. I thought it was dead, and after Max and AfterFX it's the most used program I own.

You still can't beat Director for rapid development, it just seems odd they didn't wait a bit longer and make the upgrade have a point.

bigbackcomics
03-31-2008, 04:25 PM
The only problem is the 3D sucks as bad as it did in version 8.5.
Sure, it has Directx 9.0 support now, but that doesn't mean the engine does anything useful with it.
The only reason they have Ageia now is because they no longer have Havok.

Overall, it's just a patch release to bring the product in line with Adobe's CS3 range. The one thing I do like about it is it seems to have kept all it's backwards compatibility with earlier versions and Xtras.

The flash integration is also a waste of time. Although it claims to be in line with Flash CS3, it doesn't support Actionscript 3.0, which makes it a fairly useless feature.

Apparently they will actually start to make the 3D and other requested features plausible in version 12 or 13.

I totally understand the basis for your post believe me. As much as I understand where you are coming from I am just glad Adobe didn't kill Director like they did with Freehand and I believe Authorware and god knows what else. The death of Freehand is stil haunting me as I force myself to use Illustrator. And I do mean force myself. For the way I work I find Illustrator more like Frustrator. I am still keeping my eyes open for something else be it xara, or inkscape or anything. But I will unfortunately always have to at least come back to illustrator to get art into Flash as Adobe did a wonderful job of compatibility between Flash and Illustrator now..

It may only be a minor update feature wise but from a coding point of view just making it modern, and compatible with Adobe's other apps was likely alot of work and would be worth the upgrade price alone to some. Now that Adobe has a future plan for Director we will see the updates to the 3d engine and more new features in new versions. I mean as much as the 3d engine can be frustrating I have seen plenty of tremendous examples of quality work so it can be done.

I believe there is a place for Director in the market and for one am looking forward to receiving my upgrade.

Cheers,

erilaz
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
I mean as much as the 3d engine can be frustrating I have seen plenty of tremendous examples of quality work so it can be done.

Oh believe me, I know how much you can squeeze out of that engine if you fight long enough. :)

I just don't think Adobe is giving it much attention. Here we have an upgrade for their product, the first in a long time, and there isn't even an official announcement. There still hasn't been any front page news item on the Adobe website.
They are so wrapped up in Flex, Flash and AIR right now, Director seems to have had the focus taken off it, and I think they did this on purpose to play down it's release so no one would notice.

I love Director, don't get me wrong. I've been using it for over 10 years now. But I can safely say like Freehand and Authorware it was far better in the hands of Macromedia.

heavyness
04-01-2008, 03:47 AM
well, the internet is still missing that Flash-like plugin that will allow users to interact/view 3D online... maybe this is a baby step in the right direction. i've seen some great 3d samples from director running on webpages and i hope it catches on [and i hope adobe supports it].

bigbackcomics
04-02-2008, 02:56 PM
The future is looking better with some of these planned updates. Head on over to the Director podcast to see more.
http://www.magicgate.com/podcast/director/

Some highlights relevant to what we have been talking about include:
AS 3 support
Direct x 10 support
Havok physics back
Multiple undos
Native Flv flash video support

and many more.

Its not earth shattering by any means, but it shows that at least Adobe is committed to Director's future

Cheers,

Venkman
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
well, the internet is still missing that Flash-like plugin that will allow users to interact/view 3D online... maybe this is a baby step in the right direction. i've seen some great 3d samples from director running on webpages and i hope it catches on [and i hope adobe supports it].

I have not seen anything better than Unity for 3d on the web, and I've really looked:

http://www.unity3d.com

It's freaking amazing. Currently, you can with a click of the mouse, publish for web, mac application, and Windows .exe (supported with Open GL and Direct X) with a single click. They just announced support for the iPhone, too.

The dev side is mac only, but I gleaned from the forums that they are working on a PC version of the dev tools.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.