PDA

View Full Version : Potential Upgrade?

massivepencil
03-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone, I could use your opinions on some upgrades I'm considering. I want to preface this by saying I'm not a big computer guy so I have trouble understanding the real differences in the hardware, I usually come here to try to research.

I had a guy build a computer for me a little while ago with these specs:
AMD 2.6 Dual-Core
Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 motherboard
Mushkin 2GB(2x1GB) DDR 400 (I think, program I have shows it at 400 ns)
SLI setup with two GeForce 7900 GS 256mb GDDR3
600w power supply
Runs nice and cool and very little problems so far save for Zbrush.

Now I'm going to build another computer for my wife with another friend and I can use my old ram in her's and possibly the CPU so here's what I want to know:

I could upgrade to an AMD 3.2, how much of a difference am I looking at? I look at newegg reviews and see all the gamer talk about overclocking and all that stuff I have no idea about, and I just want to get some digital artists opinions on how much of it truly matters.

I also want to upgrade my ram, Maya 8.5 runs ok with the occasionall lock-up from lots of splitting faces or the like, and I can barely think about running Zbrush 3.1, the program usually crashes three times just trying to get it loaded. I know Zbrush is a huge memory hog so I'm looking to get more ram. My motherboard can take up to 16GB of DDR2 800 ram, because of my available cash I can't really go for all 16, probably only 8. So I was checking out the OCZ SLI ready 4GB memory(2x2GB). I'd really appreciate any info you can spare.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2008, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.