PDA

View Full Version : Atari is reborn!: Infogrames changes its name.

RobertoOrtiz
05-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Quote from the article:

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) — Franco-American video gme publisher Infogrames, in an effort to increase its profile with consumers by reaching back into gaming history, said Wednesday it is changing its name to Atari."

Here is the link:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-05-07-atari_x.htm

-R

edaddy
05-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Infogrames/Atari shares have been on a run of late, rising more than 130% on the Nasdaq since April 18, when the company said it had completed work on Enter the Matrix, the hotly anticipated video game companion to the forthcoming Warner Bros. film The Matrix Reloaded.

damn, would've been nice to own some of that... but i'm really not too sure how well respected atari's name is nowadays - although they did bring over my beloved 'ikaruga' to the states..

Nicodemus
05-09-2003, 10:31 PM
I think the Atari name could be a good thing. Atari is overall still a good name. Still considered a pioneer in the industry......they just have to be careful as to what moves they make.

~L~

Per-Anders
05-10-2003, 12:00 AM
i agree, good move... people have heard of Atari, but infogrames, well it's just a bit of a non-entity really.

AJ
05-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
i agree, good move... people have heard of Atari, but infogrames, well it's just a bit of a non-entity really.

You should see how many Co's they've absorbed in the last few years... They're quite the monster!

I'm not too sure about the Atari name change - it seems to have been adopted by the 'retro' clothing/decor crews around the world (as in, "I keep a 2600 in my lounge, but I don't know what it is"), so I don't know how that would reflect on them...

heavyness
05-10-2003, 02:42 AM
i have a retro atari shirt, so now it's current!

good move. Atari is is right up there with nintendo as most commonly know name in the biz, and it should help Infograms. hell, Atari is on the UT2003 box and has put there name on some good game recently.

i also have a t-shirt from game-skins.com that has the atari joystick on it and its says 'ROOTS' on it, guess i can throw that out.

Shade01
05-11-2003, 01:20 AM
I can't wait for the Atari 10,000 console to come out in 2005!

erilaz
05-11-2003, 03:03 PM
So it's goodbye to the lil' armadillo logo hey? Kinda sad really...:hmm:

red_oddity
05-11-2003, 04:07 PM
People never heard of InfoGrames? what games do these people play?, propbably nothing more than that stuff Nintendo keeps regurgitating...

I happen to like the spring like armadillo logo, and i do own a shit load of games from InfoGrames, more then i do of the original Atari company...

Keith Osborn
05-11-2003, 06:12 PM
I welcome the change. The name Infogrames seems cumbersome to me. When I first saw it, I mistakenly thought is was Infogames - because, well... it's a game company. Then upon more careful observation I saw the "r" and wondered if the latter half of the word was pronounced like games or grams. Anyway, Atari has special meaning to me because of my wasted youth so I'm glad it's reborn. Hopefully they'll produce games worthy of the name.

The Magic Pen
05-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Microsoft would have been smart to buy the name and use it to make there consel instead of trying to dominate a market with a new name ... :shame: ..maybe they will have better luck with X-box 2

Luke Werhli
05-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Great, the name Atari is still very respected and I think the name infogrames sounds terrible and itīs not creative.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.