PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions [moving from wings3D to modo]

UMG
03-29-2008, 04:59 AM
Well.. as the topic says, I moved form wings 3D (I know, quite a step up) and im having some problems

Im using modo 301

1) I can't seem how to create a basic primitive.. I click to drag a cube, but it just creates a flat plane..

2) As someone comming from wings, im used to just using tools by selecting them and dragging w/the mouse. I can't understand how modo's tools work.

3) Modo seems to have a way of telling you what selection modo you're in, but how do you select entire objects?

4) In many tutorials, there are selection mode icons, but these are missing from my modo. I understand that modo lets you customize the interface. How would I go about adding them?

5) As some of you might know, Wings has a edge cut tool which basically divides selected edges a specified number of times. These edges can be then connected. Dos modo have a similar tool?

6) Does modo have bnooleans or anythign similar?

7) I learned that the htokey for assigning a material to a face is "m", but this gives you very limited options. The diffuse channel here even lacks a color picker. Am I missing somethign here is there a "real" material editor?

Phil Lawson
03-29-2008, 10:23 AM
1. When you drag out a plane, you then use the * handles to give it depth. If you want a default 1m cube, hold ctrl before clicking on the cube icon (it should have a green border around the tool when you hold control).

You can also click on the icon to active the tool, hold control and click once in the opengl viewport. Mouse our mouse to another place in the viewport and click, hold and drag which will constrin the plane to equal lengths, allowing you to again set the depth after.

Finally, the option you probably want is to click on the cube tool, press and hold control, then click and hold then drag the mouse to create a cube with depth.

2. modo uses its tool properties form (below the tools), that you set before dragging. You can also press the apply button which will commit to the options you selected.

3. You need to use the Item mode selection. A quick way to use this is hold shift and tap space.

4. If your using the default 301 layout these should be along the top.

5. Loop Slice tool or edge slice.

6. Geometry | Boolean from the file menu along the top.

7. This only creates a material mask (think photoshop), you then need to use the shadertree to apply textures, procedurals and other channel changes. There is also a "material editor" viewport :- Texture | Open Material Editor from the file menu along the top.

I would take a minute to look at the supplied videos that come with modo as they do show the answers to all these questions in more depth.

Cheers.

cornelp
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
I used to use Wings3D, and then moved to Modo, and was the best move Ive made. I know you have many questions there, and Phil answered them, but you might want to take a look at the Radio Controlled Car videos. Its a 36 part video, that will teach you pretty much all the necessary parts of Modo, specially if you come from Wings3D. I was able to pick up Modo after I watched those videos quite a bit.
Search the forums here for Radio Controlled Car and you will see the videos, hopefully the video links are still available.
Also, you may want to watch the Tank Video that comes with Tutorials for Modo. That and the Radio Controlled Car videos will set you for a nice road ride down Modo's Path.

Hope that helps...

Patrick210
04-01-2008, 02:10 AM
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v62992733Hc2SrPy?searchId=6923860782363694&rank=11

This guy has I think an 8 part series on MODO basics. It's pretty good at getting you up to speed on the interface , basic tool use, and texturing.

Absinthe-Graphics
04-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Here is the link for the radio car tutorial. Just replace the number at the end from 1 to 35 to get all the parts.

http://content2.luxology.com/community/ABrown/Radio_Car/Radio_Car_1.zip

UMG
04-05-2008, 02:59 AM
It was a great decision to switch for me. Thats all that I know so far.

I really appreciate all the help. I got a couple more questions for anyone that wants to take a crack at them :
1) Wings 3D has a tool called intrude that allows you to hollow out objects, interactively controlling the thickness in the process. Does Modo have a similar tool to hollow out objects?

2) Does modo have anything similar to the extract (face) tool?

3) Does modo have a tool for physically diving a mesh into two parts? Thats what I meant by loop cut. When the mesh is divided, I want to have two capped ends.

BazC
04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Wings is a solid modeller, Modo isn't. So Wings has the intrude tool to make objects hollow, Modo has the thicken tool to give already hollow meshes thickness. Same kinda thing but in reverse.

Modo doesn't have an extract tool, you just copy and paste faces.

Modo 302 has an edge split tool which is pretty much the same as Wings Loop Cut.

moka.studio
04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Wings is a solid modeller, Modo isn't. So Wings has the intrude tool to make objects hollow, Modo has the thicken tool to give already hollow meshes thickness. Same kinda thing but in reverse.
Modo doesn't have an extract tool, you just copy and paste faces.

Not to be pedantic, but Wings is not a solid modeller. It is a subdivision, polygonal modeller just like modo is. It may construct meshes differently, but it still operates with polygon.

Solid modellers operate with a completely different paradigm.

UMG
04-14-2008, 02:25 AM
SOmetimes, the tube pritive merely creates verts (control points) instead any actual geometry. Am I doing something wrong?

How can I revert back to control point edit mode as opposed to the mode where modo treats the tube like a "normal" object?

BazC
04-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Not to be pedantic, but Wings is not a solid modeller. It is a subdivision, polygonal modeller just like modo is. It may construct meshes differently, but it still operates with polygon.

Of course it's a poly modeller but it only works with solid 3dimensional shapes, you can't for instance create a cylinder, select one of the end polys and delete it because the object would no longer be solid. In Modo and most other poly/subd modellers you can. In that sense Wings is a solid modeller.

Obviously it's nothing like an app like SolidWorks.

ngrava
05-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry for continuing the pedantic overture but Wings is based on something called the winged edge structure that refers to the way polygons are represented in memory. In very basic terms it means that wings stores them as a connected sequence of edges and all edges must have a polygon on either side of them (iow:they must border two polys). In other words, there can never be just a single polygon in Wings. I think the most basic shape you can create is a pyramid. this is why, when you cut an object in half, it caps it for you. I actually tried to write my own winged edge polygon modeler once and failed miserably. :( It's actually quite complicated.

Modo on the other hand is much for free and open with polys. In fact, Modo seems to take a rather opposite approach. In wings you need to have enclosed objects but in Modo you can have an object that is nothing more then two points and an edge connecting them. But, this allows more flexibility. For instance, you can box model like in Wings or you can model using the edge extrude method where you define the contours edges of your model and then proceed to fill the spaces in-between. But this is not limited to modo. Most other polygon modelers have a similar approach. Wings (and Mirai, the program it was based on) are unique in their limit to box modeling.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2008, 09:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.