PDA

View Full Version : Texturing a Human Face

Diffused
04-19-2002, 08:51 AM
I'm Trying to texture a face in 3dsmax. I am almost done with the face and am thinking about texturing it. I would like it to resemble a human face... and not an alien. This is my first head... You can see it here.. http://www.3dsurface.com/uploads
The uvw unrap is also on there... How do i start to texture the uvw map? Is thre and easier way? I kinda want to put a "skin" texture on the dude.
:bounce:
How do i start!!

here is an update. http://www.3dsurface.com/uploads/Finale.jpg

LucentDreams
04-19-2002, 12:48 PM
1: you need a UVW map or wireframe just for a little better reference and help selecting certain areas. Next I would start off with bump first. This is my preference though, most start off with colour, or if you have a program like Bodypaint you can do both maps at once.

Colour:
Start by making a few simple skintones and such. pale ornages, peaches red for mor flush skin. Also a pale nasty green helps to soften areas and make them look duller. Paint an overall solid colour and then work on layering and such. I would provide some basic images but I am really busy at the moment , maybe in a week or so. Also use some puple or ble for darker areas like the bottom of the eyes. I tned to make sure it is fairly reddish around the nostril cheek crease. this really helps the nose look like it is actually an extension of the face and overlapping a bit.

Mix and match.

Bump:

Start off with the whole map at 50% grey (no not the short) and work on ups and downs. All pores can be made by simply using the airbrush with a self made brush fairly speckly. Not too soft, keep the contrast reasonablyn high and use black ass pores go into the face. Scars more often than not actually go up on the skin not down as is often mistaken. Blemishes and moles have a rough textrue and usually come out of the skin not into the skin.

Specular:

This is the map most often missed in texturing faces that probably add the most realism to the image. Pinks and violets of various tones and some black and white. don't make it smooth though have some varying to it. Areas like the nose typically shine, the eye lids don't so make them darker. The forhead can be really glossy or really dry depending on how oily the person's skin is.

Hope this jumble of ideas in a sort of random uncoonstructive form has been of help to you, I need sleep.:shrug:

leigh
04-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Kaiskai has some very good starting off points there :)
Also something you may want to consider, is a translucency map (if your software's surface editor supports it). Skin is translucent, although on a face, it is only slightly translucent. However, making a map for this would add a very subtle yet cool feel, just hinting at the veins that are just beneath the skin.
Also, in your colour map, it is very important to add blemishes such as freckles, spots, scars, whatever, just to bring in that imperfection which will make it believable.
If you have a sub surface scattering shader, USE it. SSS is very important for translucent substances like skin, because it helps to create that slight glow that skin has.
My best recommendation would be to get as many close up photos of faces as you can to use as reference.
Remember in your spec map to indicate areas (especially in the nostril creases) that are not so shiny. As Kaiskai mentioned, the tips of noses are usually quite shiny too.
Post an update when you have these basic bits done so we can see them! :):)

Diffused
04-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Wow :eek: Thanks Kaiskai and Leigh for giving me knowledge to start. I'll post an image of what i have soon... well.. *cough* not Quite soon. but i will!

:buttrock: cheers.

v3d
04-20-2002, 01:19 PM

was just wat i needed as I'm texturing a head myself :applause:

RudeYuut
04-21-2002, 04:24 AM
Oh Yeah, this is exactly what I need. texturing is my weakest area and these tips are BEAUTIFUL:applause: :bounce: .

sireel
04-23-2002, 08:11 PM
I wish I could just sit down with some one and watch them texture a face... would it be possible for someone to record/timelapse themselves doing it in 3DS Max4?

leigh
04-23-2002, 08:56 PM
I'd love to help you out there, Sir Eel, but unfortunately, I use Lightwave. :(:(
Anyone else volunteering for this one??

R32
04-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Try using the Raytrace material instead of the Standard material - mainly becuase it has Diffusion mapping! :buttrock: (not to be confused with Diffuse) It's the only shader (at least that I have found) that has diffusion in MAX (and it's not even mentioned in the manual! - try finding a description of what a diffusion map does! not there as far as i can see!) Diffusion is more important than a Colour map (Diffuse Colour in MAX) in achieving a good looking skin shader I think. You may need to crank up your lighting a little to compensate but the extra realism is worth it I think! :) Also - the raytrace material has the Translucency mapping that Leigh was talking about! (yay for the guys at Blur who wrote the Raytrace material! :thumbsup: )

fresh_balla
10-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Blur all the way! :buttrock:

peace

Diffused
10-19-2002, 08:16 PM
I have quit working on him for a loong time.. now i came back and worked on him again. Here is an update.
http://3dsurface.com/uploads/newman2.jpg

I am pretty desperate now.. i tried all of the things but i guess its not working out. I'll keep trying though. Is anyone out there willing to help me out 1 on 1? (I send them everything, and we do the texturing together?)

here is a more frontal view with the sweater.

http://3dsurface.com/uploads/man3.jpg
Now.. i'm working on the trench coat right now.. I need some good textures for the fabrics.

THanks guys for sticking around with me! you are great help !! :bounce:

Diffused
10-19-2002, 08:17 PM
Ohh oh oh! i forgot.. i'm going to give him lots of facial hair (beard, moustache, and hair coming from under his beanie) :p

Contact me if you want to help me texture!

MSN: Diffused
AOL: Polyblur

http://www.3dsurface.com

snot_nose
10-19-2002, 10:04 PM
R32 said:
Try using the Raytrace material instead of the Standard material - mainly becuase it has Diffusion mapping!

what about the "Oren Nayar Blinn" shader?
it also have diffusion map and the control over it, also in the "max help guide" they write that this shader is good especially for rough materials such as skin and fabric.

even though i tried to use this shader for my model's skin and it looks pretty bad, so i'm in a dilema now
:hmm:

Diffused
11-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Toon shaded version. Used Brazil R/S 1.0 any comments? any tips? crits? please!!! say somthing! here are some views. I put a falloff map on both Outline Width and Lit. I played around with the mix curve of the Lit. :airguitar

http://3dsurface.com/uploads/toon_man_front_closeup2.jpg

http://3dsurface.com/uploads/toon_man_front2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.