PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape 0.46 released

KayosIII
03-28-2008, 11:26 PM
With a long list of new tools/features/fixes see http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes046 for details.

Inkscape is an open source program Illustration Program for Linux/Windows/Mac (Mac via X11 at the moment). I personally use it on a regular basis as it includes the 10% of functionality from Illustrations programs like Illustrator/Freehand/Corel Draw that I actually use and a fast workflow...

http://www.inkscape.org will have download instructions - (edit) so far binaries for Ubuntu and Mac.

knellotron
03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
This big news!

Here's a good link too, which gives a visual overview of the new features:
http://inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en

mtartist
03-29-2008, 03:45 AM
I personally use it on a regular basis as it includes the 10% of functionality from Illustrations programs like Illustrator/Freehand/Corel Draw that I actually use and a fast workflow...

I think is much much more than 10%

KayosIII
03-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I mean't that I probably use about 10% of the functionality Illustrator and Inkscape does everything I need it too. Rather than meaning that Inkscape has 10% of the functionality.

jtico
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks, KayosIII. Downloading :)

L.Rawlins
03-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for posting this. Their own newsfeed just plain doesn't work. Thankfully this 'CGTalk - News' one does. I shall check it out posthaste. :)

EDIT= 'Packages for Fedora, Debian, Windows and other platforms should be coming soon...'

That's a pretty big statement from their news article to omit from your thread 'Kayos'. Please add it to your original post for the convenience of other members. Cheers. :thumbsup:

KayosIII
03-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for posting this. Their own newsfeed just plain doesn't work. Thankfully this 'CGTalk - News' one does. I shall check it out posthaste. :)

EDIT= 'Packages for Fedora, Debian, Windows and other platforms should be coming soon...'

That's a pretty big statement from their news article to omit from your thread 'Kayos'. Please add it to your original post for the convenience of other members. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Sorry didn't check that detail - On (K)ubuntu here -- All I can say is - I gots my copy

cgartists
03-29-2008, 06:19 PM
When I see X11 launching on my mac I know the performance will be far from great :/
I wish Inkscape would be made as a normal app.. I really like it!
Cheers

KayosIII
03-30-2008, 12:22 AM
This might possibly happen in future. Ardour recently did this - so AquaGTK must be getting closed to being usable... However Inkscape also relies a C++ translation layer I don't think this has been Aquafied yet....

But yeah currently Inkscape performs a lot better on Linux than anything else.

Szos
03-31-2008, 02:53 AM
Looks pretty cool. I am curious if it has Flash-like capabilities. I see tools like "Tweening" and "Video Editing, or building Amination", but not sure how capable this app is, and if it could be considered a true Flash competitor. Anyone know?

blenderhead
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
A great tool. I only wish it has animation tools, similar to Flash. Is there an open source alternative to Flash?

KayosIII
03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Theres not really a replacement for Flash as such
There are some animation tools (synfig studio) and libraries to help produce swfs via code but nothing that covers the whole scope of what flash does. There are a couple of projects attempting but they are not yet release worhy and not moving fast.

However looking at the inkscape roadmap I can see animation support listed for 0.48
so maybe check back in about a year

ajcgi
04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Ah this is great news. I use this app fairly regularly alongside gimp.

KayosIII
04-04-2008, 06:39 AM
just a heads up that the windows version is up

Rezonance
04-05-2008, 03:23 AM
Is anyone else having trouble selecting fonts from the drop down list when they use the text tool? (I am on windows XP)

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2008, 03:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.