PDA

View Full Version : Head modeling

gunnchief
03-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Where do I start? I'm trying to model in 3dmax 9 (Humans). If anyone knows any tutorials for modeling heads\bodies in 3dmax, please tell me. I've also heard something about a "box" method for heads, so tutorials on that would also be appreciated also. Thank you.

musashidan
03-30-2008, 08:24 AM
3dtotal,3dbuzz,3d-palace,secondreality,ego-lounge,subdivisionmodeling.com.....................
(and,of course,GOOGLE) the list is enless.

gunnchief
03-31-2008, 01:52 AM
I'll check those out now!

Kanga
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
You dont need a specifically 3dmax tutorial because between apps the tools have different names but the functions are the same. A cut is a cut. I use max but have followed wings and xsi tutorials on body modelling.

Cheerio Chris

DickieGriffin
04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
As a student, I've just so happened to have compiled a selection of matirial. heres some that will get you started:

Orgaic Modeling series - http://lounge.ego-farms.com/showthread.php?t=213 - This takes you through Modeling a head using splines. It also covers setting up UV's and creating a texture map in photoshop.

jone of arc - http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp - a some what incomplete tutorial, but one of the most well known character modeling tuts around

gunnchief
04-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I thank you all, this is really helping!

Daegu
05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Dickie mentioned the organic modeling tutorial by eric maslowski and I have to say that it was perhaps the single most helpful tutorial on modeling a head that I've done.

Zenthere
06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I've found two methods I tend to use most with organic modeling. The one you use really depends on your personal preference and the situation.

The first is a detail first method, and was actually referenced in a previous post. The Joan of Arc method which basically involves extruding polygons to make your shape. This method can be a bit tedious and it is easy to lose sight of the overall picture.

The second is more about getting the shape in place first. This one is the standard box modeling technique. You can start with a box (or a sphere) and just cut in the edge loops as you go.

Either way you go the first thing you will want to do is set up your image planes with your reference. The reference is the most important step at the beginning because without it you are really just stumbling around in the dark.

Lastly I suggest you only model half of the head at first to get your basic topology. After that is in place you can mirror it and make any asymmetrical adjustments.

Forgive me if these tips are a bit basic, but I don't know your level with organic modeling.

Daegu
06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Also, try these videos. Not only are they great and VERY detailed (you'll watch him do EVERYTHING, no skipping ahead), but they guy doing it is humorous to listen to.

http://www.veoh.com/users/MDB101

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.