PDA

View Full Version : Issues Going Between Mac and Linux?

Explodicide
03-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I just started a Shake compositing course, and our classroom is all Mac. I'm not a fan of Mac, so I'd rather go across the building to the PC lab and work on a Linux box, or work on my Linux laptop in the coffee shop.

Our TA warned us the first day of class, however, that there are known issues opening a Shake file made in Linux on a Mac, and visa-versa. Something about the node tree just getting corrupted. Is there any truth to this? I googled around a bit, but didn't find anything about this supposed issue.

TIA

P.S. I know that Linux Shake can't export in MOV format, I'm cool with that. I can work on a Linux box and then just render on a Mac, or reconvert later.

Kai01W
03-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Haven't worked in a mixed environment yet. It was either mac or linux. If you have identical shake versions (i.e. 4.1) I dont think it should be an issue...

-k

beaker
03-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Never had a problem going between the two. I've moved files over the years between Windows, Sgi, Linux and Sgi over the last 9 years and never had any problems. They are only ascii files so I don't see why there would ever be a problem. Maybe your instructor is mixing up Shake with Maya (which hasn't even had that problem for many years).

chippey
04-01-2008, 04:15 AM
I regularly use shake on both Mac and linux (fedora), and quite often shuffle shake scripts between the two. No problems at all, works quite well.

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2008, 04:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.