PDA

View Full Version : parent to ncloth?

JustLearning
03-28-2008, 05:08 AM
i have an old ceiling lamp set up, the kind that is kind of on a rope or chain that would swing a bit. I have the rope set up simply as an ncloth constrained to the ceiling. I've tried setting up the bottom cone shaped part of the lamp(part with the light in it) as an active rigid but doesnt seem to work right. Making the bottom piece an ncloth attached to the rope actually works rather well after bumping up the rigidity and resistance sliders.

My issue is that once i turn that cone shape into an ncloth, the spotlight in the lamp no longer stays parented to the ncloth shape.

I've tried different constraints but that darn light just doesnt want to move anywhere with the ncloth shape. any suggestions?

Duncan
03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
You can constrain your lamp to the chord using a follicle node. (currently the follicle node is the only good way in Maya of getting a full transform off of a point on mesh or nurbs) There is a script on my blog you can use to automate this setup:
http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_duncan/blog_detail/parent_to_surface_script/

Duncan

JustLearning
03-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Duncan..worked like a charm!! Thanks for the response as well as the script!

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2008, 02:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.