PDA

View Full Version : how to copy smooth skin weights onto another mesh?

MegaManZZ
03-27-2008, 11:11 PM
my problem is this...
While painting the weights on my Mesh i have found a few verts that needed to be added and a couple that needed to be moved.i added these in while my mesh was still bound to the joints and now my playback is slowing down because there is history on the mesh. i attempted to export the weights, clear the history on the mesh and import the weights but i got unpredictable results. i also saw a copy weights button but couldn't seem to get it to work..

if you know the solution to my problem, have solved the problem before, or know that there is no solution expect repaint it all over again, i would definitly like to hear your reply.

dragonlair81
03-28-2008, 03:22 AM
you could try edit<delete by type<non-deformer history. that should delete all your history that doesn't deform your mesh.

Boucha
03-28-2008, 06:39 AM
You can substitute geometry...

underearth
03-28-2008, 10:11 AM
try using orig node method for vert to be moved... locate orig node for your shape(mesh) and the remove intermediate object attr..
edit it and there you go...
just check the intermediate object checkbox once you done moving verts...

cheers

sj_bee
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
dragonlair81 is right. i have deleted the non deformer history on skinned objects and not had any problems in the past. Skin weight values will also be calculated for the new vertices using interpolation.

Alternativley, there are scripts out there to save skin weights from meshes by getting the actual values from the vertices rather than using Maya's image based method, and is a bit shoddy.

Have a look on highend3D in the mel scripts section and there are loads. I havn't used any of them mind you cos i have written my own system to do this, so i don't know how they work or how good they are.

just save out the weights, delete history and reload the weights again.

MegaManZZ
03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
dragonlair81 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=164288) your my Hero..

worked perfectly.. wish i knew about this earlier.

Keithtron
04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
You're probably having problems with exporting/importing skin weight because your models UV's aren't laid out properly, and Maya uses texture-style images to store the weight maps.

Try Comet's skinning tools: http://www.comet-cartoons.com/melscript.php
There's a tool there that saves out skin weight data based on vertex number or world position, which is great for this sort of situation. It's saved my ass a few times!

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.