PDA

View Full Version : YESTERDAY'S FUTURE Entry: Richard Morley

DickM
03-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Oh what the hell. I missed the last contest due to time constraints, and got denied in the EIAS 7 cover contest :cry: So I shall throw down in the ring once more.

My Captain Electric needs a retro vehicle anyways!

Fellow EIAS users, put up your dukes!

halfworld
03-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Good man!

:)

richardjoly
04-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Dukes are up... Welcome and good luck!

miseka
04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Welcome DickM.

mike33
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Ok DickM...

I'm being an instigator (usually gets me in trouble)...

So where's your concept? Captain Electrics has to be looking at some of the other entries with envy...

Cheers,

Mike

DickM
04-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Yea, I know. I'm hoping I don't have to for-fit. I'm unbelievably busy currently. The Captain is getting angry!

DickM
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok, finally found some time this morning to hash out the Capts bitchin ride! It's a little cartoony to fit with the capt, so I'm not sure if it will compete well with the other entries.

Will be modeling in Silo 2

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/FS69-sketch.jpg

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/FS69-composite.jpg

miseka
04-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Congrats Dickm I love this little concept, its ideal for captain electric.

;)

bye

mike33
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I agree with Miseka, your design fit's the Captain very well.

Should be interesting to see what kind of calender poses Cap't has with his new retro vehicle
in 2009...

Cheers,

Mike

DickM
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
HAHAHAHA, thx Mike. Now that you mention it, I may need to have him spread over his vehicle like those hot rod magazines :thumbsup: . I feel the month June is fitting for such a pose....I will eventually finish that blasted calendar

Back on topic, thanks, i do think it will fit with the Captain too. Hopefully have some time to model at night.

DickM
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow, finding time is so hard. But I knocked out some geometry here and there.

Here are 2 stills and for anyone who wants to see an orbit video screen grab, that's there too.

I wanted to video screen grab the entire modeling process but I knew this would be an experimental job, so I'd hate to screen grab a crap load of mistakes :-P

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-model-01.jpg

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-model-02.jpg

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-orbit.mov

Be gentle

miseka
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Cool Dickm, you captain have it a vehicule, soon... ;)

Congrats...

mike33
04-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Looks good DickM. I played with the Silo demo very briefly back when EIAS announced it was part of EIAS 6? (I think). It seemed pretty intuitive... hind sight being 20/20 I've always wondered if it was worth getting.

Something to review again when I spring for a new Mac someday in the future...

Cheers,

Mike

DickM
04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys. Had some more time to almost finish up the main body of the ship. A still and movie orbit is below. It's a very large image, you can zoom in.

You'll see it before and after subdivision. I like the hard edges of the cockpit where it meets the glass.

I really wish EIAS had poly sets though and would import objs with poly sets. I have gotten used to making objects 1 or 2 meshes and saving poly sets for the different materials. Like this ship is 2 meshes currently, ship and glass. But before I go to EI I need to break it up into all the different objects :-( Since EIAS is a poly program would it be that hard to add Polygon selection sets to v8?

anyway, hope you like

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-model-03.jpg

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-orbit-02.mov

richardjoly
04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow! The Captain will have a blast with it! Fun little Jetson style vehicle!

DickM
04-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks Rich
It will be a little less Jetsons like when I add the twin turbo jet engines :drool:

But yes, the Jetson's was a definite influence. The Jetson's is a great reference for retro-future cartoon style vehicles. :buttrock:

frogjackson
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Gorgeous ! Being in the mainly architectural viz industry I'm more used to hard edged modelling so when I finally get a chance to launch into creating my 'cater-puller' if i get half way to the smoothness in your meshes I'll be more than happy.

james

jimjam
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I agree with Richard.
Love the fun nature of your vehicle!

Jim Mulcahy

DickM
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys. I will have to lose a few details since EI has no polygon selections sets. Such as the window rim. Mapping that would be near impossible without using poly sets or uv's. I really didn't want to have to mess with uv's. I guess I could extract those faces after subdivsion and make it an object....yea that would work.

Hopefully I'll be able to add the twin engines soon, then bring her into EI and start the composition.

Thanks again!

cjberg
05-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Ye be warned

DickM
05-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Guys
Been a long time since I was last able to work on this entry. Spent a few hours this morning finishing up the vehicle. Now I need to work on the set and start bringing it all together. I also need to install my EIAS v7.0. Oh, and I am not looking forward to breaking up all the pieces of the ship in Silo. But I have to in order to texture it properly. ARGH, I want Poly selection sets in EIAS 8.0 PLEASE!!

Anyway, here are some screen grabs from Silo. It's big, you can zoom in, in your browser.

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-model-04.jpg

DickM
05-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Oh, forgot to add. The model was modeled in Silo all accept those turbine props. The array tool in Silo is lacking to say the least. EIM made those very easy using the copy tool. imported as .fac into silo with no problems. :buttrock:

DickM
05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok, I'm now rendering in EIAS using HDRI based lighting. I have watched Ian's great videos to get started. I was amazed out how much I had forgotten about GI settings.

Anyways, wondering if I've run into a bug. My set is an enclosed cylinder and HDRI lighting won't work. The image is basically black. So I turned off this object and HDRI lighting works great. So I added the set/cylinder object to a selection set. I then selected this set in the GI options as "exclude set". It doesn't exclude it and the image is dark again, so does exclude from HDRI not work? Am I doing something wrong?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks guys.

halfworld
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Maybe try turning 'cast shadows' off for this object,

Best,
Ian

DickM
05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks Ian, but unfortunately that did not work either. So here's what I can do but not sure it fits within the rules of the contest. I want to render the scene, then render the backdrop, then composite the 2 in PS. I need to reread the rules for the entries.

richardjoly
05-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Wouldn't that be like rendering in layers? It must be allowed.
Still I wonder what's causing this... Have you tried a new cylinder?

DickM
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey Rich
Yea, now that you mention it, that would make sense about the layers. So I'll just do it that way.

Yea, I thought it might be an ubershape issue, but it wasn't, because I created a cylinder in Silo, and it did the same thing. Oh well. :shrug:

I hope to post some renders today. Almost done. Now just need to pose the Captain

DickM
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I hope to have my final done today. A huge render crashed my Mac last night :(

Anyways, the Captain looks good in the image, but I forgot that on the calendar images I had to export the capt once he was posed into silo to clean up the geometry. EI bone fall-off and weight map issues make extreme posing a problem. Been a while since I messed with the captain and I forgot that when you rotate his root spine bone a certain amount, his chest starts to cave in on itself. ARGH! I remember trying to fix this for days in the rig but could not. Anyway, short of it is he may not be able to be in the final image since PS fixes really aren't allowed. :(

AVTPro
06-01-2008, 03:30 AM
I was really looking forward to seeing the final. Is it here? Did you make the deadline? I hope you post anyway.

DickM
06-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Oh well. I have been sooooo busy moving house. Had to be out on the 1st :( So depressing I couldn't finish in time. But it was a great learning opportunity. I learned HDRI and GI in EIAS 7. Here's an almost final just so you can see it. So much I wanted to fix, like the lightning bolt.

http://www.morleyarts.com/cgtalk/fs69-final.jpg

AVTPro
06-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Love the ShowRoom theme. Imaginative and really works. It's going to look great in the EI Gallery.

Better late than never.

No.. Really. It is.

Who's the hot guy in purple tights :P

Sorry to hear about the house right.

We lost Bo Diddley and ISY as well. :(

Best Wishes.

richardjoly
06-03-2008, 02:15 AM
That is a great image! The captain is certainly the happiest captain around...!
Love the paint job and the overall presentation. I'm glad you learned GI and HDRI for this is really the true meaning of these contest. Job well done Dick!

Hope the moving went nicely, this is something I REALLY hate to do...

mike33
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't know why, but the capt'n is one of the funniest characters I've seen in a long time.

You always seem to get the expression and pose just right...Gets me laughing everytime.

Flash Speeder looks great, and I like the paint job.

I also like the way the windshield came out...

Nice job DickM.

~Mike

AVTPro
06-03-2008, 10:43 AM
That is a great image! The captain is certainly the happiest captain around...!

Richard you are too FUNNY. It was really great watching all you guys work. I learn and admire all your works. I have to commend Morley again, he not only does great characters, rigs, and animate them well too but also rendering.

edecker
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
oooooooooo nice render Richard. I like!!! Nice touch with the captain and his expression.

Very nice entry. Are you using any particular shaders for the glass or body of the Speeder?

DickM
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Hehehe, thanks guys. The wind shield uses hdri reflections which really makes the look. The paint job on the ship is simply a granite shader set very tight for the metal sparkle effect, along with an anistropic shader and a fresnel effect.

I would like to tweak it before submitting it to the EI gallery. This is the month of May in the capt calendar....I'll get there eventually. :p

I'm glad the Captain makes you guys smile, that's the whole point of the character. I wanted to put him in the ship in action.....but then I thought....he won't look sexy :eek:

yhloon
06-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Nice work Richard! the captain is so "cute", you just make me laugh :)

DickM
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks Loon!!

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.