PDA

View Full Version : Studio's Using XSI?

LowJacK
03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Does anyone know the easiest way to get a list of studio's using XSI?

I've recently taken a new job and we are using Maya and I can't stand it. I'm not going to go off about how terrible Maya is or anything, just want to go back to XSI.

oglu
03-27-2008, 08:25 AM
on xsibase there si a job list for xsi...
http://www.xsibase.com/jobs.php

and here a customer list...
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/customers.aspx

leif3d
04-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know the easiest way to get a list of studio's using XSI?

I've recently taken a new job and we are using Maya and I can't stand it. I'm not going to go off about how terrible Maya is or anything, just want to go back to XSI.

That's funny because I've been a Maya user for over 7 years and I'm beginning to hate it too (Instability and anticuated workflow), because of this I'm trying to get around to learning another software and my first choice right now is XSI. My main reasons are the great MR integration and artist-driven toolset and mentality from the developers.

Would you mind sharing why you find Maya so horrifying? I'm just curious to see what you though is coming from XSI.

ThE_JacO
04-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Would you mind sharing why you find Maya so horrifying? I'm just curious to see what you though is coming from XSI.

If that sharing happens, please make sure it's in private.
If comparisons are bordeline, asking somebody to explicitly state how subjectively horrible he finds an app is definitely not gonna make it to the forums, sorry.

leif3d
04-04-2008, 01:49 AM
If that sharing happens, please make sure it's in private.
If comparisons are bordeline, asking somebody to explicitly state how subjectively horrible he finds an app is definitely not gonna make it to the forums, sorry.

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, but I thought that exchanging ideas and experiences was the principal goal of this forum?

I've seen a bunch of posts full of criticism that have been qualified as reasonable by forum leaders before, specially in all those Xapp vs Xapp threads.

I'm not trying to transform this thread into that...all I wanted was his experienced opinion...but if I'm not allowed that exchange, then I guess my only option is reading all those vs. threads which I find so useless.:shrug:

shadowedge
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
leif,

Hey man :). Don't feel bad about what Jaco said. He's just doing what he has to in order to prevent a possible app flame war. Im sure your intentions for putting out the comparison question are pure, but not everyone who will respond to the post will always have the same intentions (or peaceful composure for that matter). Love and Peace ok? :thumbsup: (Let me also say congrats for joining the XSI side of the force)

Anyway going back to the original idea of the thread check out the articles page at XSIbase, there's a nice list of articles about people (and their companies) who use XSI. I usually start my searches there.

J

ThE_JacO
04-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, but I thought that exchanging ideas and experiences was the principal goal of this forum?
It is :)
It also is a forum where we try to isolate contexts as much as reasonably possible.
It's not a perfect solution, none is, but it's functional. In an XSI forum we try not to deal with things that pertain other softwares unless explicitly related to xsi (release of a plugin or rendering engine etc).
Comparisons or asking why another SW is "bad", when you really think of it, don't really enrich the environment or enhance your knowledge of xsi itself, hence we try to keep them at bay least they turn into a fanboy fest of XSI users bitching about another app, or even worse into a bunch of appY users coming in and defending their 3D turf.

I've seen a bunch of posts full of criticism that have been qualified as reasonable by forum leaders before, specially in all those Xapp vs Xapp threads.
Yes, but to obtain those few there's a fair few we had to redirect, delete, admonish, ask for editing etc.
Direct VS threads have been "banned" for a while now, and the forum has been much better off for it (as in discouraged, not like we kick the users :) )

I'm not trying to transform this thread into that...all I wanted was his experienced opinion...but if I'm not allowed that exchange, then I guess my only option is reading all those vs. threads which I find so useless.:shrug:
You are allowed and welcome to exchange, but we also have a policy of preventing forest fires here :)
When you phrase a request, and I'm not paraphrasing much here, like "tell me how horrible this other app is", the answer can be nothing but a list of complaints, and that is seldom, if ever, something that results in a good thread.

It isn't very different from why we don't allow discussion that is explicitly political or religious in nature. It's not because those discussions are impossible, it's just that the risk factor and the flame potential are too high.

It's no different from asking people to not walk around with a gun in their pursue. You don't assume that everybody is a killer, you just acknowledge that the potential for disaster is too high :)

leif3d
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
It's no different from asking people to not walk around with a gun in their pursue. You don't assume that everybody is a killer, you just acknowledge that the potential for disaster is too high :)

Point taken.:)

If the original poster would like to talk about his experience he can e-mail me I guess.

As for XSI, I'll give it a try myself and decide it's strengths and weaknesses in my workflow. I'm really hoping it's the answer to my instability and workflow problems.:)

*crosses fingers*

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.