PDA

View Full Version : texturing help

Faraguay
04-19-2002, 04:35 AM
Hi everybody!
I'm almost new in 3d and need some help on how to correctly map and texturize this model. I've made the wrinkles (I don't know if this is correct english...) painting in photoshop but I think they look too much as if they were painted and I don't like that.
Also I'd appreciate comments on how to achieve a realistic look for the eyes...
I welcome any comment.

Sorry for my english... And thanks to everybody.

Knut
04-19-2002, 04:41 AM
Cool model...but i think the eyes are too transparent and illuminated...real eyes have shadows from the eysockets that make them blend whith a face better...they often reflect some color from the skin..So more opaque and shadows...(you might make the shadows in the eye texture)

Hope this helps...

Fuchmed
04-19-2002, 12:10 PM
good work. that skin has a letherly feeling. very thick! looks good. Perhaps you should more texture detail to the area between upper lip and chin (babylon said that this is called "angulo")
keep it up. agree on the eyes. they dont look real.

leigh
04-19-2002, 04:29 PM
I think the problem with this head is that (and I'm going to have to disagree with Fuchmed here) is that it looks a bit too much like carved stone . Your creases are just too prominent. Even in a face that is very wrinkled, the lines are not so thickly defined.
You might want to start by making the image that you used as your bump map about twice it's size. Your spec map also needs to be more like your bump map. Apart from the wrinkles, skin also has a grain to it, which you can't really see here.
The eyes - well, there are loads of eye tutorials out on the net. Bill Fleming wrote a particularly cool eye tutorial, but I don't unfortunately have a link to it for you :( Try going to Computer Arts World's site, and looking for it there, I think it was up there at one point last year :)
Otherwise, very cool model :thumbsup:
keep the updates coming :D
Oh, by the way, another thing - I think the teeth are way too reflective. They just look really plasticky. I love the modelling of them though :) very cool. But don't make the reflective.

NickolasYounker
04-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Specular on the skin (or actually the material choice) makes it look like porcilin. (sp)

NickolasYounker
04-19-2002, 07:49 PM
assuming the teeth and the gums were composited in. The shadow direction on the teeth are inconsistant with the shadows on the face.

Faraguay
04-20-2002, 03:48 AM
Thanks all of you for the feedback...
First of all, the bump map I used in this image wasn't finished yet. It has no specular and diffuse maps. And the teeth aren't composited. They were rendered with the rest of the model, but I used some other lights affecting only them and the eyes... Not a very good idea.
For the eye texture I'll look for some tutorial... and I'll post updates soon, as well as the maps used...
Thanks again.

leigh
04-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Here is a link to a really good eye surfacing tut :)
Iris Texture Map Tutorial (http://www.kandsdesign.com/kim/eyemap-tut.html)
Hope this helps :D

Adam Klein
04-24-2002, 07:46 PM
I think the alternate color, the light brown, in the cracks looks unnatural, usually when there are wrinkles, even big ones, the flesh color would not necessarily change so much.

also a specularity map will help with the sheen being too broad

Adam

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.