PDA

View Full Version : Hotel model problem...Help

Tempest726
03-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm modeling a Hotel in 3D Studio Max 2008 and so far I've made it 4 stories and over 100 rooms and it's gotten so damn choppy. Moving around my screen takes a day and a half. I'm running on Vista which I know doesn't help, but I've got a somewhat decent Intel quad core Q6600 with 2GB of Ram. Being new to 3D and 3DSM is there anything I can do in the software to cut down the choppiness while modeling? (other than the obvious hardware)

Figured I didn't know so I'd ask!

Thanks guys!

Aaron

korthuran
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I've never worked with Max before but I'm going to assume it has a layers setup like Maya that you can use.

It's kind of like photoshop. You can select objects and place them in different layers. When working in a really crowded scene you'll want to use layers to keep it organized. When you're done working with an object you can turn the layer off to hide the objects in the layer.

It makes it much easier to work and won't bog down your machine. Just hide whatever you don't need to view.

RappyBMX
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
well u could either hide unused objects... or display them as box...

to hide: right click > hide selected
to display as box : right click > proprieties > check display as box...

Tempest726
03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks, I decided to delete the hotels skeletal structure as it was giving me over 2000 groups.

Arrowhead
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Another thought would be to delete your unseen or unused geometry.
Obvously if your going to take a camera through all 100 rooms then leave them, but otherwise I see no need to have that much detail if its never going to be shown.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.